Moto 360: True Ambient mode

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
6d71e810fa47549c708e997378520f85.jpg

That's my watch software. Update was this week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've tried it and don't like it. Eats too much battery and can't make it through a day with a single charge. Since 1.3, if I have ambient mode and tilt to wake off, I get 30 to 36 hours of battery life per charge. With the new true ambient mode on, I get 12 to 14 hours of battery life. No desire to trade off battery life for a constantly dimly lit screen if I can't make it through one entire day.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed, the ambient mode is now really an ambient mode. I have not tested it but for a few minutes so far. I expect it will chew through the battery pretty quickly, even though it looks like the backlight is kept at absolute minimum brightness.

Ambient mode was only really designed for OLED screens or transflective screens, not screens with an active backlight like the Moto 360.1. In fact it is pretty useless on an LCD with backlight like the Moto 360.1- with the backlight on min, the screen can't be seen in daylight at all. I suppose it could still be useful for night-time if you needed the display always sorta-on.

Now, it could be a change in preparation for the 360 sport, which might benefit from it and they wanted to keep the software the same. Just some speculation.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed a battery difference between a white and black background. White background and black letters I can read the watch in full sunlight. However, it's a little bright in the dark.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed a battery difference between a white and black background. White background and black letters I can read the watch in full sunlight. However, it's a little bright in the dark.

On an LCD screen, what is on the screen (statically) shouldn't affect the battery life. It is the backlight that sucks almost all the power.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
yeah that's what I thought. I did see a difference for whatever reason though. Testing it again today though with a difference face.