Can't paste data into SD storage (externally formatted)

f1mx

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello AC community! Long time BB user turned Android here, so please forgive me if this is common behavior.

In the recent days I noticed that somehow, my Camera was failing when trying to save any new pictures. Since I bought the phone in mid-2016, I have been using my SD card as the default location for all my media. I thought the problem was exclusive to the Camera app, and decided to store new pictures in the Phone's storage and eventually migrate to the SD card.

Now, I wanted to transfer a couple pictures to the card since my internal storage space is running short and found out I cannot move or delete any data in the card, just copy it. I used the default File Manager, ES File Manager, and connecting to my PC via USB cable. My PC treats the card as if it was Read-Only for some reason, while the apps only say "Task Failed".

I have tried formatting both as external and internal storage and am getting stuck at 20 and 30% respectively with no results.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

f1mx

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll check it out once I have an SD adapter for my PC. Thanks

EDIT: I've just installed SD Insight and my card is the real deal. Corruption due to age is the only cause I can think about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa