Moto X Text Messages

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Reading this thread and one on the moto forums has really soured me on this phone. All the reviews had me itching to get it, but I think I'll wait for some of these bugs to be worked out (and maybe the Q4 price drop?) The driving mode and voice assist is the number one feature for me. And having my phone talk when its in silent mode would definitely be embarrassing at work

Progenitor42

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Was just going through this same issue. I posted my solution in a thread I had made. Here is what I did.

Manually updated TalkBack. Verified TalkBack was turned off. In the app settings I unchecked the box next to "speak notifications when screen is off". I then had someone send me a test SMS. No more voice.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got my X today. I'm having the same issue. Where is that checkbox you are talking about?

clif3247

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Just got my X today. I'm having the same issue. Where is that checkbox you are talking about?

When you go to Settings>Accessibility, click TalkBack on the top. Verify it is off then click Settings at the bottom. There you will be able to check/uncheck whatever boxes you need.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure if this is the fix or if disabling Motorola Assist Talk to Me is what did the trick. Hope they fix this bug

kinime77

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I figured it out... go to settings -> apps -> all -> Moto Assist Talk to me -> Disable. (You can always re-enable there if you want it while driving).

SteenAZ

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a sad development for a phone that otherwise I really like. A key selling point for me was the drive mode so turning it off to keep every call and text I get from being announced is a real downer. Please let's keep this thread alive so we can follow if it gets fixed. Worse yet I work for AT&T and this is not something I want to show off to my coworkers. I am the only person on my team with this phone.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
This is a sad development for a phone that otherwise I really like. A key selling point for me was the drive mode so turning it off to keep every call and text I get from being announced is a real downer. Please let's keep this thread alive so we can follow if it gets fixed. Worse yet I work for AT&T and this is not something I want to show off to my coworkers. I am the only person on my team with this phone.

Did you update the talkback app in the play store? That fix worked perfectly for me, and I haven't had to disable anything.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
82800d1379967216t-new-moto-x-update-dramatically-improves-camera-quality-13-1.png

Doesn't this update fix it?

i_hear_voice

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
are you saying you updated the "TalkBack" app or the "Motorola Assist Talk to Me" portion of the Moto Assist app. I did the TalkBack, which has absolutely zero affect on the problem. If it's the Moto Assist portion, how / where in the Play store do you get to that?

After using this today, the problem seems solved. I did the Talkback update via the play store, after a factory reset. YMMV, but worth a shot.

i_hear_voice

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I think this BS if you're on Verizon. All of us on Verizon need to rise up and beat on the doors until they help us out. This feature is one of the reasons I got the Moto X, and at this point, not only does it not work correctly, but it actually detracts from other benefits. It's sad that Googlerola as the manufacturer is aware of the problem, has issued a fix (see the T Mobil update earlier), but Verizon can't bless us with it in a timely fashion.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
are you saying you updated the "TalkBack" app or the "Motorola Assist Talk to Me" portion of the Moto Assist app. I did the TalkBack, which has absolutely zero affect on the problem. If it's the Moto Assist portion, how / where in the Play store do you get to that?

Just the Talkback app. I did also do a factory reset first as well. And since then, I have had no prolems with it. The Moto assist works perfectly.

i_hear_voice

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Aaargh! Even AT&T has now beat the big V with the camera / moto assist fix. I put together an algorithm to figure out when Verizon will let out the update. There are 5 carriers, with basically one new carrier update release per day. Which means Verizon will release their update WHEN????

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 62

i_hear_voice

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh, man, it looks bad for Verizon. Now this thing called US Cellular has beaten them to the release. The good news is there's only one box left to be filled in. The bad is it's under the Verizon heading. Shame on you, V, your little brothers have all made you look like a big, bungling oaf.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member