Specs Concern in Two Years

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey AC Community! I was hoping you could give me your opinion of whether or not the specs of this phone will hold up over the course of a two year contract? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think we will be fine. This phone is about optimization and not specs. We could have the latest and greatest spec wise in a phone but if it's not optimized well then it's not going to last. I believe that this phone will be just as fluid 2 years from now as it is now. Just my opinion...

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, believe me, I know we have enough of those. Just wanted to make sure though. My contract is up February, so it'll be a while before I get my hands on one. Just want to be sure that it won't be obsolete in a year.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The X8 is well optimized, and we have enhanced TRIM support (better functioning even if your ram/storage is full, device old), and when ART comes out of beta with the next android version (hopefully). It shouldn't be a problem.
In fact I think the Moto X will hold over two years better than the S4, G2, One.

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
It's between this and the G2, and while the G2 had better specs, something just keeps calling me back to the X. Just don't know what it is.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
something just keeps calling me back to the X. Just don't know what it is.

its called common sense :)
the X will triumph over all these phones in over a year, like everyone says (even moto's engineers) its not about specs, its about how you optimize the hardware. you will not be disappointed.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
It's between this and the G2, and while the G2 had better specs, something just keeps calling me back to the X. Just don't know what it is.

Smaller size? active notifications? touches controls? close to stock android? Hopefully fast updates?

Sent from my Nexus 7

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey AC Community! I was hoping you could give me your opinion of whether or not the specs of this phone will hold up over the course of a two year contract? Thanks!

The minimum system requirements for KitKat are lower than Jellybean. Google is starting to optimize Android for low end devices, which will be about where the X is now in two years. You don't need to worry about the Moto X holding up over two years.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Smaller size? active notifications? touches controls? close to stock android? Hopefully fast updates?

Sent from my Nexus 7

That would be my guess as to why he is so tempted by the Moto X. I believe the updates being fast would be the most tempting thing.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

kitkat is optimized for phones with low spec and 512 mb ram so Yes you will be fine for 2 years

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried about the specs. KitKat will keep this bird humming for a while.

Besides...I only keep a phone for about a year anyways :p

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, my contract will be up right around the time the S5 should be coming. I'm actually hoping the S5 isn't that impressive so that my decision will be easier to make ;)

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The S5 should come out around April- May like last year. But, the HTC flagship M8 should be coming around March from what I understand. Maybe called the "HTC One Two" :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, my contract will be up right around the time the S5 should be coming. I'm actually hoping the S5 isn't that impressive so that my decision will be easier to make ;)

The S5 will likely launch in May (GS3 and GS4 both did) and that is 7 months from now. If I were due for an upgrade in May, unless I desperately needed a new phone, I'd try and hold out for the X2, since it will likely launch in fall (maybe earlier, the X was supposed to launch early and was delayed IIRC). Is it worth a 2 year contract now and is it worth a 2 year contract 7 months from now are two very, very different questions IMO.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, believe me, I know we have enough of those. Just wanted to make sure though. My contract is up February, so it'll be a while before I get my hands on one. Just want to be sure that it won't be obsolete in a year.

I love my Moto X, However I stand firm by my Rule. NEVER Buy a Phone on a 2 year contract that was released in excess of 6 months prior to your purchase.

Good news for you Moto X came out in August 23

Aug-Sept
Sept-Oct
Oct-Nov
Nov-Dec
Dec-Jan
Jan-Feb

So as long as you buy it before Feb 23 you are within my 6 month window :D

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Every phone will be technologically obsolete within 6 months. That doesn't mean you'll be any less happy with the Moto X than you are now.

TRIM support on Android should promise solid performance going forward.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Fine. My 2 1/2 year old phone works great still, even compared to my 1 year old phone. Today's phones are even better specced. It will be just fine.