Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Hey guys,

    I'm trying to decide on my next phone. Right now I'm on a VZ GNex. This is my first Nexus. Before it, I had a Droid X. Wasn't too pleased w/ the dev support there. But enter the Nexus, and WHOA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ROMs and support.

    That being said, I am ready for a new phone. This phone is showing its age and wrinkles at this point. I like just about everything in the Moto X except for the dev support and the fact that I know VZ will hold up any/all updates. There are almost no ROMs for this phone at the moment...

    Curious for previous Nexus owners, do you miss the ROM support? Do you love the phone? Any regrets? Any dislikes? Are you still in the honeymoon phase?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    I've had my Moto X for about a month coming from a VZ Gnex.

    I love this phone and don't miss CM or other ROMs much.

    You'll love the battery life and an almost pure android look. The tweaks Motorola did on the phone are very good, and mostly transparent.

    No regrets at all

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  
    JungleLarry's Avatar

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    and the fact that I know VZ will hold up any/all updates.
    Can't be much of a fact if it's not true. It certainly hasn't been the case thus far.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Just ordered my Moto X a few minutes ago. Got the white one for free on-line with code given to me by Verizon customer service chat. 14 days to test it and see if it's worth signing the 2 year contract.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    and how many weeks did VZW hold up the Moto X camera update?....
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    Can't be much of a fact if it's not true. It certainly hasn't been the case thus far.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by appmy View Post
    I've had my Moto X for about a month coming from a VZ Gnex.

    I love this phone and don't miss CM or other ROMs much.

    You'll love the battery life and an almost pure android look. The tweaks Motorola did on the phone are very good, and mostly transparent.

    No regrets at all
    +1
    davidnc likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Hey guys,

    I'm trying to decide on my next phone. Right now I'm on a VZ GNex. This is my first Nexus. Before it, I had a Droid X. Wasn't too pleased w/ the dev support there. But enter the Nexus, and WHOA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ROMs and support.

    That being said, I am ready for a new phone. This phone is showing its age and wrinkles at this point. I like just about everything in the Moto X except for the dev support and the fact that I know VZ will hold up any/all updates. There are almost no ROMs for this phone at the moment...

    Curious for previous Nexus owners, do you miss the ROM support? Do you love the phone? Any regrets? Any dislikes? Are you still in the honeymoon phase?
    There aren't many ROMs cause there isn't much to be improved upon. Its already near stock Android, its already heavily optimized, and Moto added in a lot of cool features that you would need to ROM other phones to have. If there isn't much room for improvement, the devs will spend their time on another phone that needs a ROM worse (I'm looking at you GS4!)
  8. #8  
    JungleLarry's Avatar

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    and how many weeks did VZW hold up the Moto X camera update?....
    If we're gonna argue about a matter of a couple weeks vs. eternity, I'll count that as a win for Verizon.

    The soak test for 4.4 is promising.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    There is always room for improvements. The UI is not perfect by any means. It is good being nearly stock android, but there is room for improvements from Devs...

    How useful is the driving feature?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Motorola devs are the only devs I care about. Did the community Dev support thing for the last 3 years and I'm done with that chapter.
    JungleLarry and Pollster like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saneless View Post
    Motorola devs are the only devs I care about. Did the community Dev support thing for the last 3 years and I'm done with that chapter.
    Why? I have nothing but positive things to say about the dev/nexus experience. It was truly eye opening.
    davidnc likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Why? I have nothing but positive things to say about the dev/nexus experience. It was truly eye opening.
    I've also has nothing but positive experiences with my One, but I also want to put those days behind me. Setting up my phone every few weeks, always searching for the latest ROM, it all just gets old and gets in the way of me just enjoying my phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Curious for previous Nexus owners, do you miss the ROM support? Do you love the phone? Any regrets? Any dislikes? Are you still in the honeymoon phase?
    I've had the phone for two and a half months now, the honeymoon is long over, and I still have no regrets. I don't care about ROMs at all anymore; I don't feel a need for them. My phone's not even rooted anymore. It was for a while, but then I unrooted later. This phone is incredible as is.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I've also has nothing but positive experiences with my One, but I also want to put those days behind me. Setting up my phone every few weeks, always searching for the latest ROM, it all just gets old and gets in the way of me just enjoying my phone.
    Right. "The ROM experience" eventually becomes an endless search for perfection. There's always something new to flash to tweak the phone. It seems that it's never possible to be fully satisfied.

    I don't want or need any of that anymore.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    I certainly won't miss having to hear that ROMs are the cure to everything (mostly just to impatience) and why did I buy this phone if I am not planning on flashing ROMs....
  16. #16  
    davidnc's Avatar

    Posts
    6,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Hey guys,

    I'm trying to decide on my next phone. Right now I'm on a VZ GNex. This is my first Nexus. Before it, I had a Droid X. Wasn't too pleased w/ the dev support there. But enter the Nexus, and WHOA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ROMs and support.

    That being said, I am ready for a new phone. This phone is showing its age and wrinkles at this point. I like just about everything in the Moto X except for the dev support and the fact that I know VZ will hold up any/all updates. There are almost no ROMs for this phone at the moment...

    Curious for previous Nexus owners, do you miss the ROM support? Do you love the phone? Any regrets? Any dislikes? Are you still in the honeymoon phase?
    I had a GNexus as well got it the day it was available.I also had it rooted and romed.I flashed alot of Roms.
    I got the Moto X mainly at first just because of its size .I also knew for a vzw phone it didnt have as much bloatware as other vzw phones.
    I found out later about active notifications and touchless controls and now dont think i would want a phone without that.
    I did root my Moto X with motoroot but didnt leave it rooted long.This phone is smooth its nothing like the DX was when you almost had to root that phone.
    Im totally stock and really havent wanted to root it again .I dont think they are any Roms out for it anyhoo.
    As others have said its almost perfect the way it is.
    I did disable some bloat and apps that were safe to,, that I dont use but thats it.
    I have had this phone since Sept 11,2013 and still no regrets.
    sent from Moto X
    grooks likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    I have to agree with everyone else here. I came from a GNex to the Moto X. My GNex got flashed just about every week in my search for the perfect ROM. My Moto X hasn't even been rooted yet. I don't even have the desire to do it. The phone is pretty much perfect for my needs, and I have absolutely no regrets about making the switch.

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Do you guys wish you had a bigger screen or a removable battery?

    I saw the LG G2 and the screen is absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't stop staring at it. The camera was amazing as well. But the size, holy damn.

    How is your phone w/ a case on it?
  19. #19  
    grooks's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    I think 4.7" screen is a good size. I could go higher but don't really want the footprint to increase that much.

    I also have the GNex but didn't swap out battery very often. If there ever came a time I needed extra juice to get me through the day I have an external battery I keep charged. It's a 10,000 mAh so gives me plenty of peace of mind.

    I would agree that the G2 screen is very nice to look at but the offset is shorter battery life for phones (other than G2) that don't have a 3,000 mAh battery.

    Since I like the footprint of the phone, I try to put on the smallest case possible. My regular case is an Incipio Feather and also have an Areser QuickSand.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    moto x is the first phone that eliminates any need or desire for me to flash anything on it
    davidnc likes this.
  21. #21  
    davidnc's Avatar

    Posts
    6,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Do you guys wish you had a bigger screen or a removable battery?
    No
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    moto x is the first phone that eliminates any need or desire for me to flash anything on it
    THIS. I have no need or desire to root. Came from a Nexus 4 and love this phone. I routinely get 16hr battery life and 3 hours SOT with an hour or two of music streaming and such all on LTE. Love.

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Do you guys wish you had a bigger screen or a removable battery?
    No.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Concur. No need for either.

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Anyone coming from a Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpeacemaker View Post
    Do you guys wish you had a bigger screen or a removable battery?

    I saw the LG G2 and the screen is absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't stop staring at it. The camera was amazing as well. But the size, holy damn.

    How is your phone w/ a case on it?
    Bigger screen yes, removable battery no. I actually kind of hate 4.7" screens. They are usually too big to easily use one handed (though the Moto X may be an exception to this, I'll judge that when mine arrives) but aren't big enough to provide an amazing experience. Due to a Derp operating the register at Best Buy, they didn't use my upgrade to sell my my Moto Maker pin and no one seems interested in fixing it, so I'm probably going to get a Galaxy Mega with my upgrade, get it unlocked, and throw in a $30 a month T-Mobile SIM from WalMart (I live in a refarmed TMO area).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 06:34 AM
  2. Update from 4.2.2 to 4.3
    By eliasso in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 08:02 AM
  3. Using Note3 that came from Arabia in Turkey
    By ancalimon in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 10:29 AM
  4. Moving apps from home screen to app pages
    By crystalespers in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM
  5. horrible reception today, anyone else?
    By AuburnGrad in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions