Developer Edition vs Carrier version

Gr8One1998

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a Moto X off-contract pretty soon. I'm on AT&T, and am trying to decide between the Dev. Edition and the AT&T version. I don't plan to load custom ROMs on it or anything like that (I'll have my GNex for tinkering), so I'm not sure if the locked bootloader on the AT&T version will be an issue. Normally I would just get the DE on principle, but the ability to customize the AT&T version for the exact same price is tempting. Any suggestions on which way to go?

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on if you want Sim unlocked and bloat free vs custom. On the AT&T I really didn't have much bloat. Moto Maker versions are great as long as order goes through correctly.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a Moto X off-contract pretty soon. I'm on AT&T, and am trying to decide between the Dev. Edition and the AT&T version. I don't plan to load custom ROMs on it or anything like that (I'll have my GNex for tinkering), so I'm not sure if the locked bootloader on the AT&T version will be an issue. Normally I would just get the DE on principle, but the ability to customize the AT&T version for the exact same price is tempting. Any suggestions on which way to go?

FNO I will always get the DE. Been burned too much with locked bootloaders, etc. Unless the bootloader can be unlocked easily I would not even consider a locked version from the carrier. Although I really am impressed with Motorola's new warranty policy where unlocking no longer voids the warranty
I'm trying to stay on Verizon b/c I have unlimited data.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Dev Edition Vzw SCH-I545 with KT kernel using Tapatalk 4

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I went with the Att 32GB model because I did not want the white back. I do not need an unlocked boot loader and the bloat is very minimal, like two apps and one of them I use ATT visual voicemail. I went with the custom colors of black, black and black.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
If you aren't doing any tinkering and it is the exact same price, I would go dev edition only for reseale value down the line and its unlocked (I believe)

Gr8One1998

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I'm not really a fan of the white back, but I'm going to put a case on it anyway so that's probably a non-issue. If I customized it, I would do a black front, black back and dark gray highlights, so it's not like the customization would be extensive. I can't imagine I would ever be unhappy that my bootloader was unlocked, whereas there could be a situation where I was unhappy that it was locked. I guess I'm getting the DE then!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Get the dev edition even if you dont plan to flash roms. Root will always be guaranteed and you can take advantage of what little development there is. Full backups and debloat will be easy. Plus you always have the option later if you change your mind about roms. I am sure it is only a matter of time before the good people at xda create mods to get more functionality out of the voiceless control or active notifications.

I feel your paint on the white back though...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why would you pay for this when Google Voice will do the same thing for free?

Pay? It is free...I used google voice several years ago and the volume was too low on the messages. Plus back when I swapped phones a lot it was easier to have a local app on each device. Google voice does too much for what I want.

Sent from my Moto X!

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Bloat aside, are there hardware differences between the no contact AT&T and T-Mobile and the dev editons? Can you hop back and forth between networks like with a Nexus 4 with all three, or would you need to go dev edition in order to have that kind of flexibility? The cyber monday deal is quite tempting. I'd like to have the flexibility of the Nexus 4 & 5, but I'd be willing to deal with bloatware for Moto Maker if the phones are the same.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I may be wrong but I think the AT&T version will with on T-Mobile but you won't be able to get LTE

MexPride

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wait I'm confused, does the T-Mobile customized version come SIM unlocked?? Like if I plan to add a Mexican GSM sim will it work??

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The T-Mobile version comes SIM unlocked. There should be no difference between the T-Mobile version and the GSM Dev Edition. Now, the ATT version is not SIM unlocked and would need to be unlocked to work on any other network. I don't think the ATT version has the exact same bands as the Tmo version but should work in those areas that are re-farmed.

MexPride, what is your carrier in Mexico?

MexPride

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The T-Mobile version comes SIM unlocked. There should be no difference between the T-Mobile version and the GSM Dev Edition. Now, the ATT version is not SIM unlocked and would need to be unlocked to work on any other network. I don't think the ATT version has the exact same bands as the Tmo version but should work in those areas that are re-farmed.

MexPride, what is your carrier in Mexico?

Awesome, thanks! Telcel

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If t-mobile and dev edition are the same, then I'd opt for t-mobile with moto maker on cyber Monday.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't buy until Monday. All Moto X will be $150 off starting at 8am CT. Includes custom Moto maker and dev editions. I think I have to get one now.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I may be wrong but I think the AT&T version will with on T-Mobile but you won't be able to get LTE

What about the other way? Would the T-Mobile version have the bands to work on AT&T's LTE?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk