Got my Moto X Dev edition today... came from the Nexus 5

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I love this phone!!! Big thanks to the android central guys especially Phil and Jerry, if it wasn't for you guys I would never have considered this phone.

The screen on this thing is great, coming from a Nexus 5 to this phone I was worried, it was my biggest concern, needless to say I had no reason to be worried, the screen is fantastic, I actually think I prefer the amoled screen.

Speed was another concern, not an issue, in the days of 2+ GHz quad core processor's its quite amazing that Motorola have optimized this dual core 1.7ghz snapdragon s4 pro to being so fast, I see no difference between this and the Nexus 5, benchmarks do not interest me at all, its about real world use.

Call quality and reception is usual Motorola, excellent!

It also sound much better than my Nexus 5, I know this was an issue with the N5 that's to be fixed in the update to 4.4.1 so this may change.

Active notifications are great but I would say dynamic does almost as good of a job on any android device I've used so far.

The real big winner for me though are the touchless controls, these are amazing, in a job where I drive this gets used a lot, and I couldn't imagine having a phone without it now, Motorola's assists are excellent.

Most of you here already know this on this side of the forum, but this is the best $400 I've ever spent on a phone, I wish I had bought it earlier.

Posted via Android Central App

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today as well, and apart from the fact I screwed the pooch by cutting my SIM improperly (swear I thought I had it lined up, but c'est la vie), I like it so far as well. Only thing I've noticed that's odd is that every once in a while from sleep my phone will light up with the message "hi there, say help me for a list of commands..." or something like that. Is that normal? When I try to dismiss it, it brings me straight to google now instead. It's only been a few hours but I'm looking forward to a good time with this device!

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm I don't get that at all with the screen, maybe try a factory reset? I also put the launcher from the Nexus 5 on mine, as for the simcard I did the same, so off to the store I went for a nano Sim, I never noticed it wasn't a micro Sim until I got the phone

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm I don't get that at all with the screen, maybe try a factory reset? I also put the launcher from the Nexus 5 on mine, as for the simcard I did the same, so off to the store I went for a nano Sim, I never noticed it wasn't a micro Sim until I got the phone

Lol, strange comfort in knowing I'm not the only one. Enjoy yours!

NoAck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Got mine today as well, and apart from the fact I screwed the pooch by cutting my SIM improperly (swear I thought I had it lined up, but c'est la vie), I like it so far as well. Only thing I've noticed that's odd is that every once in a while from sleep my phone will light up with the message "hi there, say help me for a list of commands..." or something like that. Is that normal? When I try to dismiss it, it brings me straight to google now instead. It's only been a few hours but I'm looking forward to a good time with this device!

I'm thinking of cutting my SIM too. Cut it once to micro already. If I mess it up, is it easy to get my old phone number on the new SIM? I'm on Tmobile.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat and the sound is the only thing I feel the moto has on the nexus 5. The camera is actually worse IMO and the screen is nowhere near that of the N5. I really thought it would be a no brainer to keep the moto, but I actually find myself missing the n5. The touch less controls really do the same thing as "ok Google" on the n5. The touch less controls still make you interact with the screen just as much. I just feel let down b.c of the reviews. It may be because I had the n5 and was totally happy with it. The x feels like a downgrade in every way aside from sound quality. With the camera update on the way for the n5 it will only make it better. I will say active notifications are amazing. They make it so I have to rarely power the phone on. Also, I like the feel in hand of the nexus better.

Edit: oh and I get better battery on the n5, but anandtech review confirms that as well. Plus I don't need a laucher on the nexus but do on the moto for home screen deletion

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of cutting my SIM too. Cut it once to micro already. If I mess it up, is it easy to get my old phone number on the new SIM? I'm on Tmobile.

Yeah if your provider has a physical store nearby they'll typically just give you a new one no charge and link your current number to it. My case is a little different cause my prepaid carrier doesn't have stores in my state yet, so I have to wait for them to mail me a new nano sim.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I just feel let down b.c of the reviews. It may be because I had the n5 and was totally happy with it. The x feels like a downgrade in every way aside from sound quality.

There's no shame in going back to the Nexus 5 if it makes you happy. At least you gave the Moto X a chance.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat and the sound is the only thing I feel the moto has on the nexus 5. The camera is actually worse IMO and the screen is nowhere near that of the N5. I really thought it would be a no brainer to keep the moto, but I actually find myself missing the n5. The touch less controls really do the same thing as "ok Google" on the n5. The touch less controls still make you interact with the screen just as much. I just feel let down b.c of the reviews. It may be because I had the n5 and was totally happy with it. The x feels like a downgrade in every way aside from sound quality. With the camera update on the way for the n5 it will only make it better. I will say active notifications are amazing. They make it so I have to rarely power the phone on. Also, I like the feel in hand of the nexus better.

Edit: oh and I get better battery on the n5, but anandtech review confirms that as well. Plus I don't need a laucher on the nexus but do on the moto for home screen deletion

I hear you. In my case this was a real luxury purchase. I was also very happy with the N5, but have wanted a solid backup phone since I had to go without a smartphone for a few weeks during a repair late this summer.......not fun. I figured the N5/Moto X combo would be a nice way to go. Personally, the camera doesn't bother me cause I dont use phone cameras much. And the screen quality seems pretty solid (I know it's not as good as the N5, but it doesn't leap out at me as really being sub par either). Active notifications and true voice control were my main reasons for choosing the X...I would say the battery too, but like you I've also been very, very impressed with the Nexus battery life.

Sound quality is *definitely* better, though, no question there.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I hear you. In my case this was a real luxury purchase. I was also very happy with the N5, but have wanted a solid backup phone since I had to go without a smartphone for a few weeks during a repair late this summer.......not fun. I figured the N5/Moto X combo would be a nice way to go. Personally, the camera doesn't bother me cause I dont use phone cameras much. And the screen quality seems pretty solid (I know it's not as good as the N5, but it doesn't leap out at me as really being sub par either). Active notifications and true voice control were my main reasons for choosing the X...I would say the battery too, but like you I've also been very, very impressed with the Nexus battery life.

Sound quality is *definitely* better, though, no question there.

I agree with everything you said. I thinks it's a fantastic phone. I just prefer the n5.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. I thinks it's a fantastic phone. I just prefer the n5.

This is completely understandable. As they're both very well made as well as feature rich, it really does largely come down to personal preference.

On an unrelated note, how the heck do I get the apps from my n5 to populate on my X? I thought simply by logging in with my gmail that they would all just sync, as I selected restore from backup... But nope....

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes. I called t-mobile and they switch me over in just a few minutes. Your Moto X should have come with a nano sim installed. But maybe the dev edition doesn't?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is completely understandable. As they're both very well made as well as feature rich, it really does largely come down to personal preference.

On an unrelated note, how the heck do I get the apps from my n5 to populate on my X? I thought simply by logging in with my gmail that they would all just sync, as I selected restore from backup... But nope....

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

It always works for me on nexus devices, but I had to manually install them on the x. I was confused at first :(

You can do the all apps things the other person mentioned, but still have to install 1 by 1.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm in agreement with you actually, however my impulsiveness jumped front and center and convinced me to order a moto x Dev edition. In the days now that I wait for my moto x to come in I keep asking myself why. OIS camera that takes great photos, wireless charging snapdragon 800 and the nexus experience are great features in comparison to just active controls and touchless controls. I used to have a moto x and remember the battery being nothing better than the n5 but every single review I've read says otherwise, I don't get it. I actually tried to stop the shipment but they said it was too late and that I have 14 days to try it out and send it back for a full refund. I suppose trying it out risk free won't kill me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with you actually, however my impulsiveness jumped front and center and convinced me to order a moto x Dev edition. In the days now that I wait for my moto x to come in I keep asking myself why. OIS camera that takes great photos, wireless charging snapdragon 800 and the nexus experience are great features in comparison to just active controls and touchless controls. I used to have a moto x and remember the battery being nothing better than the n5 but every single review I've read says otherwise, I don't get it. I actually tried to stop the shipment but they said it was too late and that I have 14 days to try it out and send it back for a full refund. I suppose trying it out risk free won't kill me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm just gonna sell mine for break even.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

You need to retrain your touchless controls. That's what's causing it to wake up and say "hi there, say help me for a list of commands" Make sure you're somewhere with no background noises at all and are using the "ok Google now" as your activation phrase. Using any other phrase or recording it when there is background noise will cause you to have that problem.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Got my Dev Edition today as well. Am loving the form factor over my N5. Screen is not as sharp but is plenty good enough. I LOVE active notifications. Too bad they don't use the same SIM or I'd be switching back and forth. Looks like I'll be staying on the MotoX for a while.

I too had to install all my apps manually. When I went from Nexus 4 to the Nexus 5, it all reinstalled automatically. Weird.