T-Mobile and ATT Versions

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I snagged a Moto X on the first Cyber Monday day and it should be arriving today. Problem is, since then, I've decided I just can't take T-Mobile anymore (I like what they are doing in the industry, but where I live, their coverage and speeds absolutely suck). So, I'm going to try ATT. However, I purchased the T-Mobile version of the phone. Now I've heard it said both ways: the T-Mobile phone will work fine on ATT's network but not vice versa. And I've heard that the ATT phone will work fine on T-Mobile but not vice versa. Are either of these statements true? Neither? I'd rather not send back if I don't have to, and if the first is true, I'd rather just keep it knowing that it will work on both networks (in case I go back).

Anybody know for sure?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I snagged a Moto X on the first Cyber Monday day and it should be arriving today. Problem is, since then, I've decided I just can't take T-Mobile anymore (I like what they are doing in the industry, but where I live, their coverage and speeds absolutely suck). So, I'm going to try ATT. However, I purchased the T-Mobile version of the phone. Now I've heard it said both ways: the T-Mobile phone will work fine on ATT's network but not vice versa. And I've heard that the ATT phone will work fine on T-Mobile but not vice versa. Are either of these statements true? Neither? I'd rather not send back if I don't have to, and if the first is true, I'd rather just keep it knowing that it will work on both networks (in case I go back).

Anybody know for sure?

Check the bands on it and see for yourself

But I agree, t-mobile sucks, they HAVE TO BE cheap, now if only the good carriers did a similar model.

Not saying be as cheap as they are, but at least remove that subsidy after the phone has been paid off

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Check the bands on it and see for yourself

How does one do that? When I look at the specs for the phone on various sites, they just show all the bands it *can* have, not the ones that are included on each model. And how would I find which bands T-Mobile uses and which ATT uses?

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The bands are the same for T Mobile and ATT it only matters if the phone is locked. If it is unlocked the phone works on both carriers. I have heard but not actually seen that the T Mobile version of the Moto X is unlocked. If you know someone with ATT that has a Moto X or a iPhone 5/5s you can pop their sim in and find out. I think iPhone 5/5s is the only other phone out right now that has the same size sim.

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I got a T-Mobile Moto X for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 4S on At&t. We went to the At&t store last night to get her Moto X activated and they had a hard time activating it. They ended up doing some kind of trickery using an IMEI number from an At&t Moto X that they had in the store. Whatever they did worked, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that was a fluke and everyone else who was savvy enough to get a T-Mobile phone to use on At&t won't have any problems.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Anybody know for sure?

T-Mobile X works 100% on AT&T network, both HSPA and LTE. Period.

Sent from my XT1053

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I got a T-Mobile Moto X for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 4S on At&t. We went to the At&t store last night to get her Moto X activated and they had a hard time activating it. They ended up doing some kind of trickery using an IMEI number from an At&t Moto X that they had in the store. Whatever they did worked, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that was a fluke and everyone else who was savvy enough to get a T-Mobile phone to use on At&t won't have any problems.

The imei from the T-Mobile x won't be in the Att system so they will have to use a dummy imei or as you said a imei from one of their moto x's.

In the end though it's doable:)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got the unlocked GSM(att or tmobile).
I had to upgrade it for Kit Kat.
I am on and it has in it a ATT sim but i looked at system version it has Tmobiles version.
Att and T mobile version numbers are a little different so I wonder if this maters and I don't see anyway to get the ATT versions.
Says phone IS updated
Oh forgot when i turned on phone first time it had a tmobile sim in it.Meaning I guess this is more tmobile phone that CAN be used on ATT.

thanks
trido

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Since it had a Tmo Sim then you got the Tmo version that works fully with ATT.

I believe there are 3 possible versions for GSM networks; ATT version, Tmo version and GSM Dev Edition.

Sent from my Moto X

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I just got the unlocked GSM(att or tmobile).
I had to upgrade it for Kit Kat.
I am on and it has in it a ATT sim but i looked at system version it has Tmobiles version.
Att and T mobile version numbers are a little different so I wonder if this maters and I don't see anyway to get the ATT versions.
Says phone IS updated
Oh forgot when i turned on phone first time it had a tmobile sim in it.Meaning I guess this is more tmobile phone that CAN be used on ATT.

thanks
trido

I bought the same one, a GSM unlocked version, and it does come with a T Mobile sim card in it. I have At&t service and it works fine, no issues. Don't worry about the different KitKat version numbers too much. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that the At&t software has some bloatware in it like At&t Locker, Visual Voicemail and the At&t Address Book embedded into the People contacts app than any functional differences.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought the same one, a GSM unlocked version, and it does come with a T Mobile sim card in it. I have At&t service and it works fine, no issues. Don't worry about the different KitKat version numbers too much. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that the At&t software has some bloatware in it like At&t Locker, Visual Voicemail and the At&t Address Book embedded into the People contacts app than any functional differences.

I also have the Unlocked Version and I am using it on AT&T, with no issues! also, no bloatware!