MMS pictures not displaying (AT&T)

portablealpha

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
About 80% of the time when people send me pictures over MMS, they don't display. See my screenshots below--it appears that the pic was downloaded (because it says 174KB) but I can't do anything to see it. Forwarding it doesn't work; it gives me the same placeholder icon. It allows me to save the attachment, but then nothing gets saved.

Normal Moto X on AT&T in New York City
Kitkat 4.4
Default Messaging app (not Hangouts--which I don't want to use)
Already reset the APNs (hadn't changed anything anyway)
MMS messages is set to automatically retrieve (except on roaming)
Same malfunction when receiving from AT&T iPhones and from a Verizon Moto X

Anyone have any tips or have the same problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-12-11-27-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-12-11-27-55.png
    116 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_2014-02-12-11-28-18.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-12-11-28-18.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 112

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I ordered 2 Unlocked GSM moto xs from the play store. My wife's 16 gb worked just fine, but my 32gb unit wouldn't send or receive mms on ATT I read on line and found that if you changed the APN setting for the MMS port to 8080 it worked for some people, some I found said their's was originally just 80 and once they made it 8080 it worked good....mine had nothing on that APN setting, so I put 8080 in there and it worked like a champ. I have yet to check my wife's as to what hers was set on.

Justin

portablealpha

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Problem solved, or at least worked around. I can save the jpeg attachments from these non-displaying MMS messages. I use Astro file viewer to explore my Downloads folder, where I see the saved images. However, most image viewers (Gallery, Photos, Quickpic and Astro's built-in viewer) cannot view the jpegs--they either display an all-black image or give a "media not found" error message. Finally I found an image viewer that can display the saved jpegs; it's called Perfect Viewer. It appears to be intended for comic book viewing, but it handles normal images just fine. It's free, so now I just have it on my phone as a backup image viewer for this one purpose.

I think the issue boils down to the MMS jpegs being corrupted (maybe when converted to MMS size by the phone that sent them?). I can connect the phone to my PC and view them in Windows. When I do, I notice a white line at the bottom of the image, and some macropixels in the lower corners. So it appears that most Android image viewers are just really picky about jpeg file integrity.

Frodo79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My has been having this same problem. Whenever I send a picture with my HTC one on Sprint they only show up about half the time. Something happens when her sister sends a pic from her iPhone. Has anyone found a solution?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been having issues with getting pics from iphones also. Was same on my galaxy s3.

50/50 chance that this is Apple's issue. Apple tries to route all their traffic via the iMessage inhouse networks and people without iPhones typically get punked more often than not.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
50/50 chance that this is Apple's issue. Apple tries to route all their traffic via the iMessage inhouse networks and people without iPhones typically get punked more often than not.

It's not, I am unable to receive MMS from all types of phones.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

this.

im in a group chat with 4 others, all of them on iphone and this happens once in awhile. the only way i noticed a "fix" was i restarted the phone and uninstalled/reinstalled hangouts.

it has become a finger pointing game where people blame carriers, then the phones, then hangouts. but with no real solution. le sigh

Fdmstng99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I ordered 2 Unlocked GSM moto xs from the play store. My wife's 16 gb worked just fine, but my 32gb unit wouldn't send or receive mms on ATT I read on line and found that if you changed the APN setting for the MMS port to 8080 it worked for some people, some I found said their's was originally just 80 and once they made it 8080 it worked good....mine had nothing on that APN setting, so I put 8080 in there and it worked like a champ. I have yet to check my wife's as to what hers was set on.

Justin

Had the same issue, this worked for me as well.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Settings then go down to more then mobile networks. Click on access point names. Then click on your profile att phone or whatever yours is called and go down to the MMS port box and put in 8080

Last edited:

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
dont have that option under mobile networks unfortunately. only shows global data roaming access, network mode, access point names.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non