#%<+! "Tap to Download" in MMS/SMS--(CAN'T!)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm running Android 11 on my Motorola Moto G Play (2021), and all of a sudden: I cannot receive anything but straight TEXT in any text message I receive, whether it's SMS, or MMS. I'll receive one, or many prompts that read "size:__ ; expiration:__ ; [the time]",and underneath it: "tap to download".
The download, of course, doesn't occur. It reads "downloading" for a very long time, and then resets to "tap to download".
Now, I've tried everything- cleared the cache, all the data, turned off auto-retrieve-messages... Nothing. I've made Facebook my default SMS app... Same problem. As a last resort, I did a FACTORY RESET on my phone this morning. Same. Dang. Problem.

So: What is this?! A new bug with an Android 11 update, or something? I'm at my wits end here.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That means it's an MMS message (either a picture text or a group text). MMS requires mobile data, so when you see that, it usually means you don't have mobile data turned on, or your mobile data signal is poor. It might also mean your APN settings are incorrect.