Can I use the Verizon Moto X Dev Edition on AT&T?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure that this has been discussed many times, but I am getting conflicting reads since the 4.4.2 update. I have a chance to get a good deal on a Moto X Verizon Dev Edition. I am on the AT&T network, but I figure that if I sell it later, that it will be easier to sell since it works on VZW, also.
I am wondering if it will still work with AT&T, as I have read on XDA that some problems arose about that with the 4.4.2. I realize that LTE isn't available, but just wanted to be sure that I can use it on the AT&T network. I am on Consumer Cellular, which uses the AT&T network, and my iPhone 5c works great, even getting LTE. So, if anyone has any knowledge about this since 4.4.2, I would appreciate any input. TIA!

Last edited:

Isaiah 43

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I switched from Verizon Wireless to AT&T and used the Moto X Dev. Edition Verizon Wireless version for about three weeks. The phone worked fine since it is an unlocked world phone. The only problems I had were that it didn't work on AT&T LTE network. It worked on hspa+ . Also when I called 911 they couldn't recognize my phone number. I couldn't get any visual voicemail to work either. I sold it on eBay and bought a Moto X for use on AT&T

Posted via Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
One option to get around the visual voicemail problem is to use something like YouMail as your voicemail solution. I've used it for years, and the app works well. That's strange for 911 to not be able to recognize the number. Were you on the stock ROM? I know CyanogenMod and several other ROMs do not jive well with E911, so that could have been the issue more than the device itself (I had the problem with my GNex on CyanogenMod).

All Verizon LTE devices are "world phones" and are unlocked for GSM. You may not have LTE in the states, but HSPA+ is still pretty fast, especially on T-Mobile.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon version will be missing the LTE bands for AT&T, except in very few locations where they have band 4. Otherwise should work fine, just have to manually enter the APN.