Moto X- 16 GB or 32 GB?

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Think of it as $50 for twice the storage. My 1st gen 16G was fine but after the OS you end up with less than 11G remaining storage and that goes kinda fast with apps & music.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
^^^ This ^^^

I've never understood the need / desire to keep everything on the device.

If traveling I can download a movie or two to watch on the flight then delete them after. Do I really need to keep already watched movies on my device? Photos are the same and I don't need them stored on my phone.

If someone has a limited data plan then WiFi is everywhere. Music is really the only tuff one. I have a ton of data and WiFi is everywhere so it's not an issue for me. Listening to music at the gym? I think every gym on the planet has WiFi. I can't think of many instances where I'd want to listen to music where WiFi is not available. If there is an instance, then prior planning solves the problem. Download music when on WiFi. Listen to it, then delete it afterwards.

The only real instance I can see where more storage would be preferable is if someone is an app addict and has thousands...

I totally agree. Having everything in the cloud makes it so much easier. I can then access anything I have from ANY phone/tablet/computer.

I've heard more than a few stories of people losing 100's/1000's of photos when their phone died and they had no way to retrieve them. Lesson learned for those people.

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
16 GB has been fine for me, as I usually do not store music or videos on my phones and make ample use of cloud storage.

But since there is no micro SD slot on the Moto X 2014, I felt it would be better to have 32 GB and not need it than to need 32 GB and not have it.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Everyone's different. The 32 GB may help with resale, as it may be more desirable. However, I don't store a lot of media on my phones. I had a 32 GB Nexus 5, and had so much free space. I had a 16 GB Samsung S3, an 8 GB Lumia 520, and still had plenty of space. Now, I did pick up a Lumia 820, which has 8 GB, but expandable storage to 128 GB. I put in a 16 GB card for music, audiobooks, as I use it as a media device to my Nexus 5. Currently, it's my primary phone, but I decided to forgo the 32 GB and just order the 16 GB Moto X. I'm on a budget, and would rather use the $50 on something else instead.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I can fully understand the logic for 32, and would even go so far as to recommend 32Gb for most people. I am lucky enough to have great coverage, several external batteries, and unlimited data, so I went with 16Gb. For music and Podcasts, I stream everything, when traveling, entertainment media goes on one of several tablets, not my phone, and I only use a few games at a time, so even 2 big games won't fill it up for me. On the other hand, if you like pictures, video, lots of games, and want local access, 32 is the safe bet, and possibly some form of external storage as well (they have those USB flash drives now with a full size plug on one side, and a micro plug on the other). These devices are also part of the reason why I am confident with the 16Gb, as if I do find I need more storage, I can easily get one of these drives, and it is easier, faster, and cheaper to replace/get more of them for further on-hand storage.

IMO, it boils down to what are you using now, and how much storage are you using, and do you see your use case changing?

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I am planning to buy the Moto X but wasn't sure whether I should spend the extra $50 for the 32 GB version. I don't save a lot of music on my phones and don't download games and movies on it too. I usually need the storage for apps which I download a lot. Also have photos but not a lot. What would you suggest would be a good idea for my particular needs.

Thanks!

Even if you don't need it now; you probably get it back when you resell the Moto X in the future or get more for it then you will be paying the extra $50 more or you might get interested in keep videos, photos or podcast on your Moto X in the future!

mcdunnough

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I totally regret not getting the 32 gig version. I'm constantly having to stop and remove stuff to find space for the additional apps or podcasts I want to download so that I have content to listen to while traveling.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the 16GB. I'm within my return period until next Friday. I ordered a Cyber Monday 32GB phone which should come Monday, and this one is going right back. I have three games and no music on the device (I use Play Music), but I just want to have the peace of mind that on a flight or underground in the subway, I can have plenty of content to keep me busy.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1184.jpg
    1184.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 16

dmccracken42

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting by quite nicely with the 16GB model. Initially I was worried about it as I do keep some music and podcasts on the device. Occasionally I'll run into a crunch but can quickly find some things that I don't need. This mostly comes from pictures and video. Because I back everything up to Google+ I can simply delete the files off the phone once they've been synched. Using the cloud, 16GB is very manageable.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Extra storage is never a bad thing. Everything is getting bigger and will not stop. If you have the cash, get the 32gig.

Sent from my XT1096

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I went with 32GB. I'd figured that apps are getting bigger and while the cloud is nice and all having big storage never hurts. Most flagship phones are moving to 32/64 gb. I've even read some of you folks on this forum have changed your mind on that as well. Always go with your gut as the sane goes.

rite11ken

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your responses but still confused about the 16/32 question after reading them. My general use for the space is going to be : Lots of apps including ones which download a lot of data themselves. A few photos and music. No videos, movies or games at all. With that in mind, what would be the best idea for me?

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your responses but still confused about the 16/32 question after reading them. My general use for the space is going to be : Lots of apps including ones which download a lot of data themselves. A few photos and music. No videos, movies or games at all. With that in mind, what would be the best idea for me?

It depends on the size of the apps. I suggest you get the 32 version phone just in case.