Still debating Moto X (2014)

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Really on the edge of wether or not to pick up the moto x. I have one of the coupons for $140 off, which is a great deal. A few things throw me off though. The main being the battery, I see alot of people having horrid battery. Another being bad experiences from L? Thought?

Posted via Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
L is great. The pure edition has some issues but the Verizon version was fine, then the or edition got updated again to the same one as Verizon.

The battery depends on your usage. Figure 3-5 hours screen on time with 14-16 hours off charger is probably normal.

JoseGui

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Really on the edge of wether or not to pick up the moto x. I have one of the coupons for $140 off, which is a great deal. A few things throw me off though. The main being the battery, I see alot of people having horrid battery. Another being bad experiences from L? Thought?

I was in the same place but finally went for it last week with a Cyber Monday code. Battery was my last real concern about a Pure Edition X, but I expect to be fine even if its not a battery champ. My usage is probably light compared to most people on this forum, and I also expect that those with battery issues tend to post more and maybe skew the perception a bit (not to downplay those issues at all). I did use the code to also get 30% off a turbo charger, just in case. Delivery expected late this week. I'm not worried about L. It's a little glitchy on my Nexus 7 '13, but mostly fine and I understand updates are coming soon. If you take the leap, good luck!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
You have 3 basic options for a nice device in the price range that you will pay for the X with the promo code.

Moto X = $360 and is a killer deal!
Nexus 5 = $350 and is a killer deal!
Oneplus One = $350 and is a great deal but they have hardware defect issues and zero customer support.

In my opinion for the price of the phone, basic bang for the buck and other considerations your left with the Moto X or the Nexus 5 as the options.

Do you prefer LCD or Amoled screens? Would you like the slightly larger screen on the Moto X? Do you want or need the Motorola features that are not on the Nexus 5?

My Moto X is the Pure Edition and I am on 5.0. I am not having any issues at all. The device is smooth, quick and responsive. I am getting about 5 hours of screen on time with the Moto X but I am a light user so YMMV..

crzich

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered mine cognac/white/silver accent with a turbo charger and 3000 mah battery pack since they were discounted too.

Scheduled to arrive the 17th, can't wait. For me it was between the x, droid turbo and xperia z3v but ultimately I wanted a smaller phone coming from a note 3 and the xperia is almost the same with a much smaller screen. Droid turbo is just not refined enough for me and I like on screen buttons so I went for the x. ☺

I even got Verizon to move my upgrade date up a full month so I could use the cyber Monday code.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
What carrier? Be aware the Verizon X can't (yet) do simultaneous voice and data unless you're on WiFi. Should be coming in the next month or two via update, but can't right now.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Battery life?

Tons of threads here in this forum on battery life and if you are on G+ there are just as many there in the Moto X community..

I have brightness maxed out and I am getting about 5 hours of screen on time with Lollipop so far but I've only had mine for 3 days and I am a very lite user..

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've never used Google+ but thanks for the heads up. First time in the forums as well. Brightness maxed? Is the screen real dim? I checked a few out at a local store and they didn't seem that way.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Tons of threads here in this forum on battery life and if you are on G+ there are just as many there in the Moto X community..

I have brightness maxed out and I am getting about 5 hours of screen on time with Lollipop so far but I've only had mine for 3 days and I am a very lite user..

I've never used Google+ but thanks for the heads up. First time in the forums as well. Brightness maxed? Is the screen real dim? I checked a few out at a local store and they didn't seem that way.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

No the screen is not dim I just like max brightness.. I always max out screen brightness on all my phones.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
No I don't use cases.. Ever!

If you are worried about damaging the X then Moto has a killer extended warranty that covers accidental damage. It's $85 for 2 years of coverage, you get 3 replacements during that time and I think the deductible is a measly $35..

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Battery life?

Unless you are a heavy/power user (like a work phone), battery will not be a concern. I leave my phone on "High Accuracy", so pretty much everything is always on. I usually get at least 4.5hrs of SOT during a 14-16 hour day, with about 20% left by the end of the day (see sample shots below). This will obviously vary per user. Also, as JoseGul stated, the loudest voices will be from those having problems. I read many reviews when this phone launched, and most pro reviewers while disappointed in the "size" of the battery still got through a day without charging. IMHO, this phone will definitely not last much more than 24hrs with moderate to heavy use, but I don't need it to.

Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-30-34.jpg
Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-30-28.jpg

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
No I don't use cases.. Ever!

If you are worried about damaging the X then Moto has a killer extended warranty that covers accidental damage. It's $85 for 2 years of coverage, you get 3 replacements during that time and I think the deductible is a measly $35..

That's actually a really superb coverage plan. I'll definitely have to check that out. I think I'm going to get one, most likely order it today!

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are a heavy/power user (like a work phone), battery will not be a concern. I leave my phone on "High Accuracy", so pretty much everything is always on. I usually get at least 4.5hrs of SOT during a 14-16 hour day, with about 20% left by the end of the day (see sample shots below). This will obviously vary per user. Also, as JoseGul stated, the loudest voices will be from those having problems. I read many reviews when this phone launched, and most pro reviewers while disappointed in the "size" of the battery still got through a day without charging. IMHO, this phone will definitely not last much more than 24hrs with moderate to heavy use, but I don't need it to.

View attachment 153045
View attachment 153046

That's a lot of info I definitely needed to hear haha. What you're getting is around what I would get. I'm not a have user per say, but sometimes I do use my phone alot.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 153045
View attachment 153046

If I can get to 8:30 with 28% left I'll Be perfectly fine with that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87