Moto X dead and won't charge

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OK so after updating to 5.1 I hadn't noticed anything unusual about how it has been performing. However yesterday the battery drained rather quickly when I was at work and died. When I got home I plugged it into the charger and it won't take a charge. Left it plugged in all day and nothing. Any ideas or is the phone dead and in need of replacing?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
OK so after updating to 5.1 I hadn't noticed anything unusual about how it has been performing. However yesterday the battery drained rather quickly when I was at work and died. When I got home I plugged it into the charger and it won't take a charge. Left it plugged in all day and nothing. Any ideas or is the phone dead and in need of replacing?

Sounds like a dead battery unfortunately

Posted via the Android Central App

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
This happened with my Niece's Moto X. Couldn't boot... couldn't get to the bootloader. We finally ended up pulling the back and disconnecting the battery for a while. After reconnecting it we could get into the bootloader... wiped cache and data and all was well.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I will fully charge my battery before I attempt to upgrade to 5.1. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Finally able to get into the bootloader and wipe the cache. Phone is alive and charging but what an ordeal. Luckily I had two other phones but still it sucked.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Try something very simple first... Swab the USB port in the phone with a cotton swab.

I had the same problem. I went as far as began ordering a warranty replacement from Moto. While I was on the phone with Moto, I cleaned the port with a cotton swab and, miraculously, it started charging. Canceled the order on the spot and no problems since.

Coincidentally enough, this happened to me right after installing 5.1. I did have a full charge before the install.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hook it up to the charger and hold the power button for a few minutes maybe? It's an old trick I learned on the Nexus 4 back in the day, not sure if it applies anymore but it's worth a shot I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

rthagan1

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
That old trick (plug in & hold pwr button for a minute or two) worked on our Moto X 2g in Feb 2017. Thanks for thinking of it.

Matt888

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem (I`ve changed the battery but the Chinese seller had sent me a 2nd hand one!) I have a charging meter so I could tell the phone was taking no power and appeared dead.

As above I held the power button in for about 30secs, after releasing the green light then started flashing and my meter said the phone was taking charge, it trickle charged for a while, then after it had taken about 15mAh I re-plugged it and it started charging normally.

This issue is clearly chiefly due to a battery in poor condition. I've also had the phone stuck only taking a tiny amount of charge and the green light flashing (indicating dead battery) I recovered from that by simply plugging into a computer USB port, the phone was then happy to take more charge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez