Moto X:Playstore, Cost, Availability?

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I feel like this would have already been leaked, but then again, the Chromecast was held in secret and released right after being announced so who knows.

I'm sure a lot of these have been controlled leaks by Motorola. The hype for this phone is pretty insane!

I have an upgrade ready to go so I'm ready! If it's priced well enough, I might just get an iPhone 5 on contract, sell it, and use the money to buy this. We shall see!

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone even remotely worried that the cost of this phone, that everyone is speculating about could be wildly off?

Reason I ask is because the Droids that came out on Verizon are priced the way they are.

This Moto X is essentially the same phone.

We have established that the Moto X is going to be on Verizon.

Does anybody who has EVER had any experience with Verizon at all think for one minute that they(Verizon) would allow essentially the same phone as their beloved DROIDs, on their network, at a price point that would.....

A.) Completely undercut the price of their DROID branded phones, and...

B.) Encourage use of their network WITHOUT contract

These two things go COMPLETELY against everything evil Verizon has ever stood for.

Disclaimer: I hope I'm COMPLETELY and utterly wrong. :)

Posted via Android Central App

I dropped this answer in a Reddit post about this topic, but I'll condense it a little bit. The short version is that Verizon would be interested in selling it because it would not cost them an equipment subsidy, so even if they don't get a contract out of it, that's better for them than taking a hit on a phone sold at a discount and waiting months to get it back. The iPhone has fatigued Verizon to the point where they're looking everywhere to recover the money they lose when they sell them at a subsidized cost. I could be wrong, but that's what I see.

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I dropped this answer in a Reddit post about this topic, but I'll condense it a little bit. The short version is that Verizon would be interested in selling it because it would not cost them an equipment subsidy, so even if they don't get a contract out of it, that's better for them than taking a hit on a phone sold at a discount and waiting months to get it back. The iPhone has fatigued Verizon to the point where they're looking everywhere to recover the money they lose when they sell them at a subsidized cost. I could be wrong, but that's what I see.

Also, perhaps VZW realizes there's a sizable number of us who have grandfathered-unlimited-data who would never consider getting an on-contract phone with VZW (because we would then lose unlimited), and are maybe considering leaving VZW, but suddenly having a good, solid, affordable, exciting, new phone choice would suddenly make staying more attractive? Maybe it's a stretch, but it's possible.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Anybody anticipating supply problems and expecting it being sold out the first day (or within the first few hours) when it goes on sale Thursday or a later date? Did the Nexus 4 have pre-ordering prior to its release or did it just hit Google Play unannounced?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Anybody anticipating supply problems and expecting it being sold out the first day (or within the first few hours) when it goes on sale Thursday or a later date? Did the Nexus 4 have pre-ordering prior to its release or did it just hit Google Play unannounced?

It just hit the play store, but didn't start shipping for a few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if today's release of Motorola Connect and Migrate indicate that the Moto X will be available starting tonight or this weekend? I guess the speculation will come to an end tonight though.

Ulairi

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

It's better for Verizon if you don't have a contract because they charge you the same no matter what. You're better margin for them.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Non of that information has been made available yet. It's expected to hit all major US carriers. There have been leaks of supposed back covers in different colors, not sure how this could be handled in terms of getting a custom look or choices. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Play Store has only sold Nexus devices. Being that this is not a Nexus, it's unlikely that it will be sold through Google Play.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
No, not quite nexus devices, they sold Google edition S4's and HTC One GSM models. Almost got one of those but would have to leave Verizon & my unlimited data plan.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well the Moto X is sold device but the price is reasonable and battery life good. I surprised how thick the phone is though but still really light. I think this great phone for moto and can wait see what Moto X inspires doe the future. Unfortunately I don't care for the carrier exclusive customization but I guess moto need some bargaining chip to get all 5 major mobile carriers.

Good luck to Google and Moto. I hope the moto x sells well but I will be looking forward in seeing the next Nexus phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699