new moto x.. is it a dud?

gmvc1111

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been Googling this but apparently moto x isn't a great specific search term..

Got a moto x for Christmas! But.. barely got to use it.. signed in with my google and it automatically started updating some apps.. then I got a pop up that a critical device update was available, so I connected to wifi and dl and installed it.. about 41 MB.. then another critical update pop up.. over 300 MB size this time. I let it download then came back later and tapped install. Ever since then my phone is unusable. Everything I open makes a message come up that "unfortunately" it has to close. I tried force rebooting. Nothing. I couldn't even get far enough into settings to factory reset. So I booted to recovery, tried wiping cache, tried hard reset.. the phone booted and asked me to select language and log in google, but still same force close and freezing issues. Is there anything I can do? I got it at best buy ..is it a lemon that I should return?

Thanks so much for your help! Appreciate it.. I was excited about this phone!

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
If you already tried a factory reset I would definitely swap it out for a new one. It's brand new for goodness sake, you don't want to deal all that nonsense.

I play with food

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If you already tried a factory reset I would definitely swap it out for a new one. It's brand new for goodness sake, you don't want to deal all that nonsense.

I play with food

Absolutely this.... the upgrade should not be something you have to struggle with. Especially if you just got it at a local Best Buy return it tomorrow!!!!

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

gmvc1111

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
do a factory reset and login with google again before returning.

Yeah I did all that, same behavior. Actually I had a hard time even logging in with google again because the force closes and freezing is so bad. I was hoping not to have to wait in line at best buy and then deal with their service, but it looks like the better option now.

FloridaGma

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Please let us know what the problem ended up being? I have a Moto X coming tomorrow via FedEx and I'm an android newbie so I sure don't want to think it's a critical update and it's what happened to you instead. Sounds terrible! Thanks, Donna

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Please let us know what the problem ended up being? I have a Moto X coming tomorrow via FedEx and I'm an android newbie so I sure don't want to think it's a critical update and it's what happened to you instead. Sounds terrible! Thanks, Donna

One of the updates is Kit Kat 4.4, so you'll get it. The other may be the camera update that pushed a while back - so maybe that Moto was sitting in back for a while.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Rebooting into recovery and clearing cache will probably fix it. Cutting off app updates to install a system update can send permissions wonky. There is a chance a few reboots may smooth it out.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87