beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just Google photos by default but I use QuickPic (from Google Play Store). It's super fast and simple. I prefer it over Google photos.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: google photos

Nope. You get Unlimited photos at high quality for all devices. Pixel phones get unlimited FULL QUALITY backups. The first gets compressed by Google to the equivalent of a picture about 6.5MP I believe, so if you take a 16MP picture, Google will store a resized, recompressed version. For Pixel users, they get full, original file back ups, so their pictures won't get resized or recompressed.

You can still have that in Photos (the full back up thing), but unlike for Pixel users, yours would count against your Drive storage quota.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Actually, I had to look this up. Very good point here and I'm going to include a screen shot from Google support.

It looks as if the 21 mp photos are being compressed to about the quality of a 16 mp camera if I'm understanding this correctly. Funny thing is, the original quality of the Pixel XL is a 12.3 mp file. So, are we getting unlimited larger/better photos than the Pixel XL?

fd3278db269ff3d70ad58bc0e4e7d97d.jpg

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I had to look this up. Very good point here and I'm going to include a screen shot from Google support.

It looks as if the 21 mp photos are being compressed to about the quality of a 16 mp camera if I'm understanding this correctly. Funny thing is, the original quality of the Pixel XL is a 12.3 mp file. So, are we getting unlimited larger/better photos than the Pixel XL?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161108/fd3278db269ff3d70ad58bc0e4e7d97d.jpg

Wow could be lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

They'll count against your Drive storage.

This ^... but only if you keep the 'original file' back up option. After the two years you can switch to 'High Quality' and get re-compressed versions still stored for free without counting against your quota.

What I don't know, though, is what happens to pictures you backed up while in the Full Resolution promo period. Ry, do you know if those files will then suddenly count against your quota or if only what is backed up after the promo ends will?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This ^... but only if you keep the 'original file' back up option. After the two years you can switch to 'High Quality' and get re-compressed versions still stored for free without counting against your quota.

What I don't know, though, is what happens to pictures you backed up while in the Full Resolution promo period. Ry, do you know if those files will then suddenly count against your quota or if only what is backed up after the promo ends will?

As far as I know, the full resolution backups will count against your quota when the promo ends. You'll either have to switch them to high-quality or delete them to get the space back.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

When my 50 GB Google Drive bonus Droid Maxx promo ended, I received this email from Google:

If you use Gmail and you go over your available storage after this date, you will not be able to send or receive emails.

If you use Google Drive, your files in Drive remain safe and accessible by you and the people you’ve shared them with. You just won’t be able to add or sync any files unless you are using less than your your current available storage or you’ve purchased additional storage.

If you use Google Photos, that service could also be affected depending on your Photos settings.

Please visit the help center for more details and thank you for using Google Drive.

So, my guess is that they will not charge you anything, or do anything to your existing files, but they will insist that you delete files and/or pay for storage if you try to upload more, and it will also affect other Google products, like Gmail. (So, basically you'll have to take some sort of action.)

BTW, Google Photos FAQ says that if you change from Original to High Quality, it will affect photos uploaded going forward but will not affect photos already uploaded. See https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87