Bye Evo! Hello Droid 2!

MissShayona

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I no longer work for Sprint as of yesterday so I am through supporting their service as well. Been in 1X all day and I am so annoyed. Going to Best Buy today and getting my Droid 2 :) any HUGE differences?

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow, talk about down grade. I have both, and the D2G doesn't come close in any way, shape or form. Good luck, you will need glasses with the small screen and BK hands to press the keys.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I also consider it a downgrade from the EVO but in no way shape or form is the Droid 2 a bad phone. I have to Droid 2 Global and couldnt be any happier, this is also coming from a guy who had 6 smartphones last year lol but ive been with this phone since december.

But remember you have a couple of days to try it out and if you dont like it send it back for something else or try another carrier. Thats the great thing about the Android platform you have so many options!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Good luck, you will need glasses with the small screen and BK hands to press the keys.

You must have poor vision. I can see the screen perfectly fine thanks to the high resolution. I frequent a lot of forums on my D2 and so long as I rotate to landscape, which I can't see why that would be a problem, I have never needed to zoom in.

As for the keyboard... I'm 6' 2" with big hands and have no problems with it either. However, I have had a few instances lately with the f'ing thing locking up on me and it's starting to piss me off. Had this issue just a couple of times months ago, posted about it, and it just went away. But this past weekend I had three lockup/reboots. One time I simply went to unlock it and it was completely frozen and I had to pull the battery. Another time I opened the web browser and it shut off on me. Really wish they'd release an update to address this frequently reported issues. Outside of that I love the phone.

By the way... I've seen 1X pop up here and there on Verizon too, but not that often.

Rev.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
ok just wondering lol, honestly I think the Droid X is still the best phone in Verizon's lineup... people have been having issues with the LTE phones thats why I really havent jumped on them.

bebop15a2

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I like my Droid 2 (I have the original, not Global). If you want a keyboard then I'd sa get it, if not, then get the X2. I wouldn't get the Droid X at this point unless you want to save some cash. Of course if you used the Evo and liked Sense, then the Droid Incredible 2 might be a better fit. From what I hear it has better battery life than the D2 or the DX.

hankwatt

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I hope you didn't work for them long...since they're not good in your area. I'm lucky, in LA Sprint is covered pretty much everywhere. I couldn't leave since I use over 5GB/mo and I'd go about 40 days of vzw throttling...plus now they're cracking down on the "free" tethering too...yikes. Besides all that, I've got the 24th marked on the calendar. oh yeah, dual core all the way. Best anyway!!!

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow this thread is full of sour grapes...

My opinion is that I agree that the D2 (or D2: Global which is what is available now) is a downgrade from the Evo but as you say what good is a smartphone at 1x speeds (OUCH!).

The Droid 2 Global is a very solid phone and I would recommend you getting Launcher Pro so the switch away from Sense is not as traumatic.

The Droic X is also a good phone as is the DInc2. If you are getting one today you wull probably like any of them and the DInc2 will be closest to your Evo. If you can wait a little however the Droid 3 is just around the corner.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I take it since you only get 1x on sprint, that 4G isnt available in your area with verizon?

If I were you, I would honestly try to pick up a gently used Droid 2, not the Droid 2 global. Two reasons why:

1. You will be able to get a new phone for a cheaper price when the new ones come out, e.g. the potentially kick ass droid 3.

2. As far as I know, the droid 2 global does not have gingerbread available yet (although it is scheduled to be shortly). Once I put gingerbread on my droid 2, it solved a lot of its issues.

You are probably going to miss the Sense UI, which is the only reason I would say you *MIGHT* need to use launcher pro.

Also, if you really don't need a qwerty keyboard, maybe yoiu could pick up a used Droid X. Verizon has officially updated the OS to gingerbead.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Get what works for you. In the end if you are happy, that is all that matters.

+1!

It doesn't matter if someone else thinks you are "downgrading" or not, if you got what you want, that's all that matters. Frankly, I agree with the OP, I would rather have an LG Ally on Verizon than an EVO 3D on Sprint because Sprint coverage in my area is a joke too.

anon(255332)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're switching to Verizon get the Thunderbolt, if you don't live in a 4G area you just turn the radio to 3G only mode. TB is probably the best of the touch screen only phones on VZW right now.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The OP indicated that she used to sell phones and specs were important to her so I stand by my statement about it being a downgrade, it is specs wise.

You are probably going to miss the Sense UI, which is the only reason I would say you *MIGHT* need to use launcher pro..

Have you used Motoblur? LOL I'm usually one of the more moderates and really really tried to like it but it is slow and laggy and lacks any really nice widgets. You can look around and get some for free or paid in the market OR you can get Launcher Pro for a small fee in the market and get most everything you need. Still not as nice as Sense but ages ahead of Moboblur.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty