Black screen on phone calls

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
On both phones, when I make a phone call it stays on black screen, the power button sometimes works, but most of the time it stays black and can't end call or turn on speaker

nightelfdruid

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you been modding your phone? Seems I had this issue before... Had something to do with the settings on the proximity sensor, or an app that prevented it from turning the screen back on when I moved the phone from my ear. If I manage to remember exactly what it was I'll post again. Good luck!

Sentid frum teh Galuksee Noat Tew.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
ITs the DROID MAXX, I have two brand new ones, they both do it. like tonight I had no success in putting my phone in speaker mode cause as soon as I answer or call it goes black.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
ITs the DROID MAXX, I have two brand new ones, they both do it. like tonight I had no success in putting my phone in speaker mode cause as soon as I answer or call it goes black.

Make sure your hand is not hovering around ear piece area ..you should be able to switch to speaker phone without any problems

Posted via Android Central App

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded always speaker on witch disables the proximity sensor. Maybe it's my zagg screen protector?

Possible probably it is blocking prox sensor ..make sure area around ear piece is not blocked by your hands or anything else

Last edited:

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If the zagg covers the proximity sensor that is probably the cause. That happened to me with my previous phone. Take it off and try it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Screen protectors and cases are notorious for causing this if they don't fit perfectly. That's more than likely the culprit.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought the zagg for the RAZR maxx, it's smaller so basically it just covers 95 percent the screen. And I have it positioned to where it's not covering my camera or the ear piece, unless the sensor is on the right side of the camera.

- - - Updated - - -

And also the auto speaker app gives me a work around for the moment

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Remove the screen protector. It does not have the proper cut outs for the sensor.

Why would you put the wrong ones on your phone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me once - I was in people and hit he phone number of a contact by mistake and the phone started calling. Unfortunately, I hit the power just as it started calling. Once I did that, the phone was never responsive - it just started completing the call.

It only happened once, though.

I do have the Verizon screen protector on, but it definitely had a cutout over the proximity sensor.

glenn9643

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem.
I'm not using a case or screen protector.
In the settings for the dialer I've elected to show dialpad for ALL CALLS.
When I make or receive a call the screen immediately goes black with nothing anywhere near the proximity sensor. Occasionally I can get the dialpad by pressing the power button quickly. This is a huge issue for me and I haven't been able to find a resolution.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yah, if I can't fix I'm sending it back and the zagg I have on it, is not Covering the sensor.
I'm having the same problem.
I'm not using a case or screen protector.
In the settings for the dialer I've elected to show dialpad for ALL CALLS.
When I make or receive a call the screen immediately goes black with nothing anywhere near the proximity sensor. Occasionally I can get the dialpad by pressing the power button quickly. This is a huge issue for me and I haven't been able to find a resolution.