Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do I need a case and/or Screen protector for my NEW MAXX?

Hello ALL:

I just got a new MAXX Wednesday and wonder if I need a CASE for it? If so, any good suggestions?
    What about Screen Protectors. I thought the glass was strong, but any suggestions about this as well?

Thank you.

Default Re: Do I need a case and/or Screen protector for my NEW MAXX?

case? yes. screen protector? no.

Diztronic TPU Case -

Thanked by:
    WallaceD and PDX97229 like this.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Both come down to personal preference, IMO. Are you rough on phones or do you work in a rough environment (construction, fire fighting, etc.)? Do you carry your phone in your pocket or in a purse or bag with keys, coins, etc.? Are you somewhat clumsy?

I use both a case and a screen protector, but that suits me, because my work takes me outdoors and into industrial facilities.

If your phone is carried with stuff that can scratch the screen or case (coins/keys) you may want both.

I look at it this way: My phone cost more at full retail than any of the last three laptop computers I purchased, and I didn't buy low-spec computers. My phone gets handled and used more often and in more precarious places than my laptop. Unless the phone itself was fully ruggedized (IP 68/Mil. Std. 810) I want some extra protection for it.

But again, that suits me and my usage case. Your mileage WILL vary.

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm
    Thanked by 2:

Great article about Gorilla Glass (did you know that GG3 is softer than the original Gorilla Glass?)

Ironically, his article stating why he doesn't use one gives the reason why I always use a screen protector: just try to keep sand (quartz in the chart on that article) from your pocket.
    Thanked by 2:

I personally use a case, but not a screen protector. Everyone will have their own preference. I'm still iffy about the case, because my past 2 phones have remained in nearly perfect shape after 2 years of use each, but the edge-to-edge glass on this one made me nervous, so I picked up the diztronic, which is a nice case. Who knows, I might ditch the case & go naked again sometime. I'm not personally concerned about micro-scratches that I'd have to look for to find, since protecting against them essentially means either putting up with a crap screen protector that ruins the feel (IMO), or shelling out quite a bit of money for a nice screen protector that likely won't last the life of the phone. On my previous 2 phones (both with gorilla glass - OG Droid & Droid Razr), I only had a couple small noticeable (without looking intensely) scratches on the Razr, and that was from my phone falling out of my pocket and wedging into a recliner's mechanism & going on several rides. Even those I barely noticed.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:
    PDX97229 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I would like to thank all of you for your comments.

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have both just for peace of mind.
    Thanked by:
    Catiebug and skatergirl like this.

Use both. Diztronic case with iSmooth protectors. Gorilla Glass will scratch even if its left in its own pocket. It takes one grain of pocket sand and you'll regret it. Remember its scratch resistant, not proof.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    PDX97229 likes this.

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts

I really like the Verizon bumper cases. They protect the edges and corners, and create a little ridge around the screen to protect the glass, but the carbon fiber back still shows through. My girlfriend has the bumper on her Mini and is very happy with it, too.
    Thanked by:
    Jdalton1111 likes this.

Life is too short for screen protectors.
    Lovin' My Phone

I do not like screen protectors at all but I use them. I like cases when they are small, even though I like the feel of the phone without a case. I use both.
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by:
    LinuxWeather likes this.

I use Bodyguardz screen protectors (I've used a lot of brands on phones over the years and theirs are the best feel) and their carbon fiber skin for the back (i use the red one). I like its texture and how it slips in and out of my pocket.

Don't like cases.
    Thanked by:

I also like the bumper case from vzw for the maxx because it is open on the back and let's you feel the Kevlar. I've owned diztronic cases in the past though and those are nice (and cheap).

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Lovin' My Phone

Oh ... I use Incipio DualPro. Love it.
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Went naked for the first 3 days until my Maxx dropped out of my pocket, fell 2' to a concrete floor and cracked the glass all the way across and chipped the hell out of both edges of the glass.
    Plenty of other posts about similar things happening. Like Unobtanium said if your rough on phones in the least, get yourself a case. Id like to add if you dont have insurance on the phone get a BIG case or get insurance. I went with the Diztronic initially but it does very little to protect the glass. I ended up with Otterbox Defender and have no regrets. Yeah it adds some bulk to the phone but you get used to it. Maybe try the Incipio that Janet has and see how you like it.
    skatergirl likes this.

Been naked since the day I bought it in august

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by JimBen73 View Post
    Been naked since the day I bought it in august

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
    Its a gamble that's for sure but some succeed without it. I can go without damaging my phone but the screen will scratch no matter what in my experience. I keep my pockets empty and my Note II screen scratched.

Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Sounds like good advice. Thanks
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Question Re: Do I need a case and/or Screen protector for my NEW MAXX?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Use both. Diztronic case with iSmooth protectors. Gorilla Glass will scratch even if its left in its own pocket. It takes one grain of pocket sand and you'll regret it. Remember its scratch resistant, not proof.

Thanks for your reply. I have 3 questions for you:
    1. If the iSmooth screen protector is so good that it has a Lifetime guarantee, why are there 3 in the package?
    2. I checked out the Diztronic case & I like it, but wonder if the silicone makes it stick to every pocket you try to slip it into. I like using a very small camera case hooked to my belt loop for convenience and wonder if the Ditztronic would be difficult to slip in & out?
    3. What is Tapatalk?

Quote Originally Posted by PDX97229 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I have 3 questions for you:
    1. If the iSmooth screen protector is so good that it has a Lifetime guarantee, why are there 3 in the package?
    2. I checked out the Diztronic case & I like it, but wonder if the silicone makes it stick to every pocket you try to slip it into. I like using a very small camera case hooked to my belt loop for convenience and wonder if the Ditztronic would be difficult to slip in & out?
    3. What is Tapatalk?
    1.) People mess up protector installations. Also, while I've never scratched mine there definitely not scratch proof.

2.) Distronic cases are not sticky at all. I wish there was more grip but you won't have any trouble sliding it in and out

3.) Tapatalk is a forum reader app from the Play Store.

Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    Oh ... I use Incipio DualPro. Love it.
    Thanks for your response Janet. Before buying the DualPro did you look at the Ditztronic case? They seem very similar but the Ditztronic is 1/3rd the price! If you did look at it, what made you pick the DualPro?
    skatergirl likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    1.) People mess up protector installations. Also, while I've never scratched mine there definitely not scratch proof.

2.) Distronic cases are not sticky at all. I wish there was more grip but you won't have any trouble sliding it in and out

3.) Tapatalk is a forum reader app from the Play Store.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Sounds like one of the first apps I should get is Tapatalk. I've been waiting until I can get to my desktop to read the forum responses. That's why sometimes it takes me a while to reply. The Ditztronic case does sound good. You can't beat the price and I like that it is very light (IMO the phone is already too heavy). Fair enough on why there are 3 screen protectors in a package. In my old Palm days I used to change my protector every month. I think the problem there was the stylus causing the scratches. While it isn't as precise, I do prefer my finger; I always have it with me. LOL
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by LOTL2 View Post
    Went naked for the first 3 days until my Maxx dropped out of my pocket, fell 2' to a concrete floor and cracked the glass all the way across and chipped the hell out of both edges of the glass.
    Plenty of other posts about similar things happening. Like Unobtanium said if your rough on phones in the least, get yourself a case. Id like to add if you dont have insurance on the phone get a BIG case or get insurance. I went with the Diztronic initially but it does very little to protect the glass. I ended up with Otterbox Defender and have no regrets. Yeah it adds some bulk to the phone but you get used to it. Maybe try the Incipio that Janet has and see how you like it.
    Thanks for your reply. Why do you think the Incipio is a better case than the Diztronic?

The incipio dualpro is a harder case with a soft inner silicone lining and will be more protective while also being a little thicker than the Diztronic , but not too thick like the Otterbox Defender.
    I have the Qmadix, Speck Candy Shell Grip, & Griffin Reveal. All 3 are very nice. The Speck & the Qmadix offer more protection and the Griffin is the thinnest. I change them up depending on my day.
    If you want good protection and pocket "slip-ability" as well look hard at the Qmadix. It definitely has both and it's very good looking too.

Oh, and the Incipio Dualpro & the Qmadix S are both available here at Shop Android, as well as lots of other places - Amazon, etc.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 2:
    skatergirl and PDX97229 like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast