S800 or bust?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to tuesday and the unveiling of these phones, Its either one of the three variants or the moto x for me but I cant help but ask myself.. If the ultra and ultra maxx don't have the s800 are they a bust?

I know some people don't care, but I don't waste my upgrades and my next phone must have the s800 (I'd take an exynos 5 as well but that isnt gonna happen)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Why do you HAVE to have the s800 in your next phone?

I don't upgrade my phone as much as you do.
I am not going to buy a phone that illl use for the next 2 years that doesn't have the top of the line. android gaming is getting a lot more fun and ouya + shield coming out.. why would I buy a phone with an andreno 320 when I can just wait a little while and use my upgrade on a phone with the 330 that is claimed to be twice as fast.

if the droid ultra doesn't have an S800.. my wait continues.. even though I pretty much exclusively buy motorola smart phones.

edit:

not to mention.. If I wanted anything but cutting edge I would just buy a droid dna for a penny from amazon. If I am going to pay 199-299 for an upgrade it isn't going to be something barely faster than what I can get for a penny and an upgrade.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
There have been conflicting reports on this -- I don't think anyone knows for sure yet which processor it will have.

The Moto X has been criticized plenty for not having the latest tech. So, one would think that with the Ultra, perhaps they would slap in the S800. We will know in two days!

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
There have been conflicting reports on this -- I don't think anyone knows for sure yet which processor it will have.

The Moto X has been criticized plenty for not having the latest tech. So, one would think that with the Ultra, perhaps they would slap in the S800. We will know in two days!

thats kinda how I feel about it, the moto x has a lot of cool features and its more google, but I figured the droid line would probably have the latest and greatest hardware.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I upgrade my phone when I have an upgrade available on my one line: 20 months (24 after this next upgrade).

I would appreciate you not making assumptions about me. Thank you.

you owned a razr and a nexus, both phones came out at the same time practically.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
you owned a a razr, and then a nexus which came out a month later. have a good day!

That's right. Very good. I exchanged the RAZR within the trial period; I didn't pay full retail for my Galaxy Nexus nor did I use another upgrade on it. Lots of people do the same thing. For example, look at all the people getting S4s or Ones and then switching for a different phone within their trial period. It's our prerogative per Verizon policy to make sure that we don't get stuck with a phone we don't want over the course of the contract. I'm sorry you have a problem with people simply adhering to Verizon's policy. Maybe you should take it up with the company if you think such a policy shouldn't exist for people to use.

Anyway, other than battery life, I'm tired of the spec race. I hardly use all the power in my Nexus as it is. Regardless of how powerful my phone is towards the end of my contract, I'm going to want a new one anyway because I'll be sick of it and I won't want to hang onto a phone that's already paid off. I doubt the Ultra will be so underpowered that after 16 months it takes 5 minutes for the screen to turn on if it doesn't have an s800. Let's see what the phone actually has to offer.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to tuesday and the unveiling of these phones, Its either one of the three variants or the moto x for me but I cant help but ask myself.. If the ultra and ultra maxx don't have the s800 are they a bust?

I know some people don't care, but I don't waste my upgrades and my next phone must have the s800 (I'd take an exynos 5 as well but that isnt gonna happen)

Moto X appears to be a mid to low tier device, I don't understand all of the hoopla being raised over it.

That being said I upgraded the 1st of June, SnapDragon 600, no stuttering or lag. When the 800 comes out, there probably will be rumors of the next gen CPU/GPU. You have to get on the bus sometime, it's just how long do you wish to wait ? HTC One is pretty bad assed.

That's right. Very good. I exchanged the RAZR within the trial period; I didn't pay full retail for my Galaxy Nexus nor did I use another upgrade on it. Lots of people do the same thing. For example, look at all the people getting S4s or Ones and then switching for a different phone within their trial period. It's our prerogative per Verizon policy to make sure that we don't get stuck with a phone we don't want over the course of the contract. I'm sorry you have a problem with people simply adhering to Verizon's policy. Maybe you should take it up with the company if you think such a policy shouldn't exist for people to use.

Anyway, other than battery life, I'm tired of the spec race. I hardly use all the power in my Nexus as it is. Regardless of how powerful my phone is towards the end of my contract, I'm going to want a new one anyway because I'll be sick of it and I won't want to hang onto a phone that's already paid off. I doubt the Ultra will be so underpowered that after 16 months it takes 5 minutes for the screen to turn on if it doesn't have an s800. Let's see what the phone actually has to offer.

I am on AT&T. It's only them or Verizion where I live and work. (Tried TMobile). AT&T's answer to TMobile looks like it's going to be costly. If I am going to pay subsidized rates, I am going to make them subsidize. Unless the next big thing is in a month or two, I upgrade.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Moto X appears to be a mid to low tier device, I don't understand all of the hoopla being raised over it.

That being said I upgraded the 1st of June, SnapDragon 600, no stuttering or lag. When the 800 comes out, there probably will be rumors of the next gen CPU/GPU. You have to get on the bus sometime, it's just how long do you wish to wait ? HTC One is pretty bad assed.

true but as my upgrade date is aug 15th I havent waited at all yet, and waiting a few months from that point for an s800 phone would be perfectly fine for me.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
no prob.

so anyhow.. is this a deal breaker for anyone else?

I feel about the same as you do. I am ready for an upgrade now but I am going to pay full price so I can keep my unlimited data.

It is not about the "spec race". I will buy the first phone that comes along with "current" specs that I like. If I am paying $600 or $700 for a phone I want it too still be a solid performer a couple of years from now. It is partly about a current high end CPU and GPU and overall SoC architecture but also needs to be a good amount of RAM and Storage and/or microSD.

Software keeps pushing the limits of CPU, GPU, RAM etc. Buying a phone with last years specs is not a great idea if you are a "power user" and like to use for phone for a bunch of stuff and keep pushing it to it's limits. A phone with last years specs may be perfectly fine for many people especially if they are not constantly adding and using more and more memory intensive apps.

I will wait for a phone like and that I think I can keep and use comfortably for 3 years or more, even though I may still upgrade in 2.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The GS4 is proof that latest and greatest doesn't necessarily equal the smoothest experience.

Stop throwing "better" hardware in phones to address problems that can be fixed with software optimization.

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
No s800, so...?

Well they seem to have taken the apple approach with their processor ambiguity...so we really don't know where we stand there.

The interesting thing is this strategy works for apple because they rely on the user having a great experience with the phone, rather than picking it up for the number associated with the processor. Motorola will have to do the same, so for me it comes down to the speeds reported in the reviews.

I am extremely excited for the phone. Now if the preorder site would go live, or at least tell me the off-contract price.