Screen dims when space key hit in landscape mode?

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed this today, and hopefully I'm not the only one because I really don't want to have to take my phone back for a new one. I was in a dark room typing a text in Handcent and noticed, with auto-dim on, that everytime I hit the space key in landscape mode the screen would dim slightly. I was startled by this, so I disabled auto-dim to full brightness and it still did it. Turned brightness off, obviously couldn't notice it as it was too dark. But... it only happened with the space key. Didn't happen when I flip it back over to portrait mode.

Anyone else care to experiment with this or already know about this? It may not be noticeable from a distance but if you focus on it, especially in the blank white area where the typed text is displayed, you can probably see it.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I noticed something similar when viewing the drudgereport.com. When in both portrait and landscape mode, when I would just touch the screen, I'd notice the screen get darker or lighter. When I'd let go, it'd go back. Very weird and probably not exactly what you are referring to, but still weird.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts on this:

Can be one of two things.

The first is that when you make contact with the screen, it is using some voltage to monitor the capacitive touch screen. This may cause the screen to lose out on priority of the battery's voltage and cause it to dim a slight amount. This isn't so likely, but certainly a possibility.

My other guess is that when you leave the screen alone it applies an anti-aliasing filter over everything. When you touch the screen it disables it to increase performance while you type/swipe, and then re-enables it once you take your finger off it. This could be causing some slight dimming by disabling the filter.

Of course it could always be a hardware malfunction :/ if that was the case you might want to swap out the phone. My best advice is to go to your local VZW store, pickup the X and try it on that one. If it does the same thing you're fine. For what its worth I don't really notice the dimming in landscape texting mode. I only notice it in the web browser when I touch the screen, and that I know for a fact is the anti-aliasing filter being disabled/re-enabled each time you touch the screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress