Is it even worth rooting before gingerbread?

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so lets say I root my phone right now. Am I still able to download updates OTA while im rooted. If I can, does it get rid of my root?

Also, If I choose to root, is it ok to do the one click root (z4root), or is that not very full proof? Also, once I root, how can I confirm that I am rooted?

One im for sure rooted, I would like to customize my device A LOT. I see some people with some crazy themes and stuff on theires. How do I get those and how do I take advantage of my root? Im a noob to this.

Thanks.

EDIT: also, what are ROMS? What do they do? Im guessing I can only use them once im rooted right?

Last edited:

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so lets say I root my phone right now. Am I still able to download updates OTA while im rooted. YES If I can, does it get rid of my root? Sometimes yes it does, sometimes it doesnt

Also, If I choose to root, is it ok to do the one click root (z4root), or is that not very full proof? Z4 is a great tool Also, once I root, how can I confirm that I am rooted? you will have a superuser icon in your app list

One im for sure rooted, I would like to customize my device A LOT. I see some people with some crazy themes and stuff on theires. How do I get those download from many different sites and how do I take advantage of my root? delete bloatware, overclock, undervolt, wifi tether for free, take screenshots, etc, etcIm a noob to this.

Thanks.

EDIT: also, what are ROMS? custom operating systems made by developers using android open source codeWhat do they do? mostly aim to improve performance Im guessing I can only use them once im rooted right? yes

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks dude very helpful. One more question, once I download a theme how do I apply it?

EDIT I rooted my phone using z4root. I go into settings - applications - click on amazon mp3 and the uninstall button is still blacked out. What gives?

Last edited:

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
Get root explorer or titanium backup to get rid of the bloat. I've always used root explorer, use it to go to system/app then put a ".bak" after all the apk's you don't want to be active.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing they didn't tell you yet is to make sure you save a backup of any app you are going to delete before you do because you are going to have to put it back on before any future OTA, like Gingerbread, or you may not be able to get it.

oakley921

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
One thing they didn't tell you yet is to make sure you save a backup of any app you are going to delete before you do because you are going to have to put it back on before any future OTA, like Gingerbread, or you may not be able to get it.

I am in this boat. I rooted, and then uninstalled amazonmp3, cityid, and blockbuster. Does anyone have a way that I can get everything back to be able to update my phone? I would like to keep my game data when I do this.

dagodpapa

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm using Titanium backup and am "freezing" the apps. It might bother some that you never really uninstall it, but it basically keeps the app out from running in the background. Then if you ever need to get the app back you just "unfreeze" it. I think its a little safer. Ti Backup is worth the money!

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Get root explorer or titanium backup to get rid of the bloat. I've always used root explorer, use it to go to system/app then put a ".bak" after all the apk's you don't want to be active.

Doing this essentially freezes the app the same way Ti Backup Pro does, right? And basically all you would have to do is change the .bak's back to .apk's once you'd like to install an OTA, correct?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea unless you plan on backing up the Apps you remove then I would use titanium and just freeze them. Then its just as simple as unfreezing all the bloat, installing Gingerbread and then refreezing the bloat. Its the quickest and easiest way if your rooted.
Or you could run a backup....whichever way you more comfortable with.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
What i do is just use Root Explorer and change the name of the applications in the way from "CityID.apk" to "CityID.apk.bak" and then that will remove it fromt the app drawer. That way its easier to go back and add them back. Be careful what apps you do this to because some of them will actually mess up your phone. There is a list here at AC with a list of safe apps to do this to.

I am in this boat. I rooted, and then uninstalled amazonmp3, cityid, and blockbuster. Does anyone have a way that I can get everything back to be able to update my phone? I would like to keep my game data when I do this.

You can PM me and ill see what i can do to get your APKs back.

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What i do is just use Root Explorer and change the name of the applications in the way from "CityID.apk" to "CityID.apk.bak" and then that will remove it fromt the app drawer. That way its easier to go back and add them back. Be careful what apps you do this to because some of them will actually mess up your phone. There is a list here at AC with a list of safe apps to do this to.

You can PM me and ill see what i can do to get your APKs back.

Any idea where that list is?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non