Leaving Sprint (maybe) and have Droid X / Verizon question
Short story (I hope)
I have a family plan with Sprint that has two EVO's on it. Been having major slow network speeds in my area and Sprint just canceled my contracts. Looking to switch over to a pair of Droid X phones on Verizon.
I know the Droid X has been out for a a little while (about as "old" as my EVO) do you think its a good time to make the switch now? I would wait a little bit BUT when I asked Sprint how long i would be contract free she said since I technically have 16 months left they will audit the account after 30 days or so to see why I didn't close the account. And if I was using the lines it could reset my contract. And well not wanting to kick a gift horse in the mouth I left it as it was.
My only concern is how are verzon 3g speeds in my area I know I could try Verizon prior to porting from Sprint... but I like my EVO and my wife said nothing with a screen smaller then her EVO (we both came from iPhones and LOVE the screen on these EVOs - I assume the droid x is same or maybe better) Then 2nd kicker is what if they announe a better phone in 2 months (which I know will always be the case but maybe 6-8 months out LOL)
OK thanks in advance
- 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM #2
- 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM #3
Verizon has a BOGO sale going on now on all smartphones, at least in my area.
Two Droid X devices for the after rebate price of $200 is a good deal IMO.
Yes, there will always be new, faster, devices coming out, but till LTE comes out in your area, you won't be too bad off with the X and Verizon's 3G network. The X is the best current smartphone available on Verizon now. If you can, you might want to consider buying the X's on a one year contract, it usually is $70 more than a 2 year contract.a little obsessive...
- 12-19-2010, 07:31 PM #4
If you can and don't mind waiting you should, VZWs 4G network is coming and so are phones that can support it. I love my Droid X and their 3G network, and where I live isn't going to have 4G for a while so it works for me.Nokia 6xxx >> Motorola i710 >> Motorola Razr >> BB 9000 >> BB 9700 >> Nexus One >> Droid X >> Thunderbolt
- 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM #5
If LTE doesn't interest you then yea, go with the DX.
at $200 for 2 phones it's a very cheap risk.
If you can wait til CES though that might be worth it just for peace of mind. If you don't see a DX upgrade there you probably won't for another 6 months.
- 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM #6
Yeah I'd like to wait till CES as well... And LTE is a non issue since I doubt my area will have LTE anytime soon if ever :-) I'm in the northwest corner of Connecticut.
Data speeds have been about 100-300k down and a HIGH .6-1.1m up.
I heard a rumor that when Verizon updates to LTE the 3g evdo network on the same tower taps into its backhall is that true? Seems like Verizon would not want to do that, no?
I'd be happy with around 500k down more or less (yea faster is better) its just that one example is when we go for walks we use rhapsody (which is a nice change from iTunes) and on my daily drive to work I use Twits app or podcast app - it keeps timing out unless I pre download on my wifi; which isn't always convient. Myabe I'm being too demanding. Plus Sprint rate is cheaper -- but I think coverage with Verizon is best
- 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM #8
Amazon has them for $100 a pair no activations - monthly bill should be about $125 for 700-talk/text plan both unlimited data (including my employer's discount I get and the free voice for the 2nd line) damn tempting it is
I'm starting to read up on the DX and the 2.2.1 update should make it more stable correct? And the hardware should power Gingerbread just fine - in fact I think the CPU/GPU is a tad better then my EVO no.
- 12-19-2010, 08:27 PM #10
- 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM #11