camera flash/shutter lag

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice that sometimes when you try to take a picture with the camera flash, the flash will light up as you are focusing, then when you take the picture, the flash will light up, but there's so much shutter lag that the flash lights and then goes dark before the picture is even snapped. This leaves you with a dark photo.

ive been noticing this more and more, and no, a reboot doesnt fix it and no more factory resets. I dont have any camera apps or anything installed that would utilize the flash or camera settings, and i am NOT rooted.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice that sometimes when you try to take a picture with the camera flash, the flash will light up as you are focusing, then when you take the picture, the flash will light up, but there's so much shutter lag that the flash lights and then goes dark before the picture is even snapped. This leaves you with a dark photo.

ive been noticing this more and more, and no, a reboot doesnt fix it and no more factory resets. I dont have any camera apps or anything installed that would utilize the flash or camera settings, and i am NOT rooted.

Actually the flash lights up to calculate the amount of light required for the level of available light, usually if you hold to allow the camera to adjust flash tensity and focus (Green box in center of screen) the shot is quick and clear, at least this is my experience.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that when your using a case, it does that. Probably the physical button and the case causes issues and when you think your barely clicking it down to focus, it's actually going all the way down.

But I do notice when I go case-less, it works much better and when I do use a case, I use the on-screen button.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The flash also goes on to lock onto focus (it's hard to know what to focus on when it's dark ;)), half-push the shutter button and make sure you get a green square before you push the shutter down all the way and it should help.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The double flash is also (and primarily) red-eye reduction feature. The first flash closes down the subject's pupils so when the actual photo is taken a split second later, the red-eye effect is minimized.

Red-eye comes from light bouncing off the back of the inside of the eye when the pupil is dialated.

Check your settings and make sure there isn't any red-eye reduction function active if you don't want the double flash.

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

I know what you're saying. Mine does this too, sometimes several times in a row.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
yeah, its not a matter of the flash double flashing... its a matter of the flash going off, then the delay, then the picture being snapped, why does the flash go off if it doesnt use it to take the picture. I understand what you are saying about using the flash to focus... you're right, and i know that. I'm saying that the flash lights up as if the picture is going to use it, then there is such a delay before the shutter goes off that the picture is as if there was no flash at all

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
For people with the problem, when does the first flash happen? If is happens when you half-press the shutter button the first flash is for exposure and focus.

If it's when you go from half-press to full press it may be for redeye compensation or you may have moved the camera and the focus lock is no longer valid.

If it's from when you fully press the shutter button without stopping at the half-press stage it's a warning light saying you're taking the picture wrong and need to allow the camera to focus. ;) Dumb phone cameras are pinhole cameras, they don't need to focus because everything is equally out of focus for them. The X's camera actually needs to focus and this takes time, if it takes too long it will give up and you'll get a bad shot - this isn't shutter lag but focus lag.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this happens to me. I was told the first flash is to set the ISO the second for the picture. It usually only happens on the first picture. I cleared the data from the camera app and it seems to have helped for the time being at least.

bobniborg

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Let me explain it clearer since I have the same problem.

The camera pre-flashes for focus, then flashes with the picture, but the timing is slightly off so that the flash pops and then the pic snaps a tenth of a second after so that the flash doesn't provide light for the picture. A second picture taken right afterwards usually works fine.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
i use the on screen button instead of the physical button. don't think that really matters

I think that actually is the issue. What I believe to be happening is you're telling the camera to take a picture right now - just like mashing the physical button down all the way. The camera tries to focus, can't grab focus, tries to get the shot anyway, and then fails and takes a bad shot. The alternatives to missing the shot are to continue trying to focus until it can lock on (which can be several seconds) or to not try to take the shot at all (which means you miss any chance that the picture turns out). With autofocus camera's it's always best to half-press the physical shutter button, wait for it to lock focus, and then finish taking the picture.

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
However, the problem is with the timing of the flash - not the focus. It has nothing to do with what button either.

When I've seen it happen to me - the second flash turns off before the image is captured - thus the image is dark. Pretty simple.

This is most certainly a software issue. There is some disconnect between the control of the flash timing and the image capture. The flash should turn on just before the image capture and stay on until the capture is finished.

baberali

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site

how can fix this problem

jithuraj

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
Hello. Which phone are you using? Im having the same issue on moto g4 plus and it started all of a sudden. Too dark pics with flash on in room light, but clearer pictures with flash on.
Flash does work and not using any back case.