Gingerbread

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
When I called VZW yesterday they said it was rolling out and that if got a new DX2 and it didn't show up in 3 weeks to call them so they can find out what the problem is. When I was in the VZW corp store I did see that the DX2 had an update pending. So it may be rolling out..

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
When I called VZW yesterday they said it was rolling out and that if got a new DX2 and it didn't show up in 3 weeks to call them so they can find out what the problem is. When I was in the VZW corp store I did see that the DX2 had an update pending. So it may be rolling out..

I really hope you are right, but wouldn't you think that we would hear something somewhere about a major update for the DX2? Every phone usually has some update material leaked from the carrier or manufacturer; a stealthy update doesn't seem probable. What you saw could have been a Droid X. I went to the store a few weeks ago, and the tag on the display said DX2 but the actual display device was the original DX. I hope I'm just not being pessimistic lol. I really hope you are right.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think your assessment is right on. As it tried to say in the original post; the news from the VZ and Moto camps was not good. My account of what happened is verbatim and clearly we managed to get put at the back of list. As we heard, some may be thrilled with X2 as is; terrific, happy for you.
For those taking issue with the lack of an update and the misrepresentation, say something. Contact VZ, moto and anyone else that will listen.

I really hope you are right, but wouldn't you think that we would hear something somewhere about a major update for the DX2? Every phone usually has some update material leaked from the carrier or manufacturer; a stealthy update doesn't seem probable. What you saw could have been a Droid X. I went to the store a few weeks ago, and the tag on the display said DX2 but the actual display device was the original DX. I hope I'm just not being pessimistic lol. I really hope you are right.

medicff0879

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Of course those guys wouldnt do anything for the X2. This is the replacement phone I get from assurion and was all warm and fuzzy inside thinking I had finally come out ahead!! Now I get this phone and find it to be a different system that doesnt have nearly the same apps available as the X did and apparently the new red headed step child of phones!! That really pisses me off to say the least!!

Last edited by a moderator:

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
gingerbread will happen eventually. it takes carriers time to test and work out bugs for major updates (and even then many still remain), and verizon/motorola have always been proven to take their time for major software updates. the droid x was a perfect example: when it was launched, it was said by vzw that it would see froyo within a month. it ended up being about 10 weeks before froyo was officially released. dont even get me started with GB; there were so many official dates that were leaked for that it wasnt even funny. a "final" build was leaked, and then there ended up being two builds that came out after that one before the official release. these things take time. in the interim, froyo is still pretty great, and the x2 is still a pretty great phone. better to wait for a stable, (relatively) bug free release then get it quick and have something thats not ready for prime time

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Of course those guys wouldnt do anything for the X2. This is the replacement phone I get from assurion and was all warm and fuzzy inside thinking I had finally come out ahead!! Now I get this phone and find it to be a different system that doesnt have nearly the same apps available as the X did and apparently the new red headed step child of phones!! That really pisses me off to say the least!!

You could have done much worse than the X2. The reviews that actually count (android central, engadget, etc.) all praise it as a good phone, even with froyo. It has a tegra 2, an 8mp camera, a display that is absolutely brilliant outdoors. Sure it's a little laggy, but patience will eventually be rewarded, and gingerbread WILL be released. We all have a right to be upset, but you would think from these threads that owning a DX2 is the equivalent of eternal damnation. I'm not saying you should be happy, but it's really not THAT bad. There will always be something newer and greater, but currently the DX2 is pretty good. Gingerbread will come. I promise.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree, for the person to come from a non-android or lesser the DX2 would be a great phone. Coming from a DX1 with GB.....it's almost a downgrade.
To pay money and lose an upgrade for nothing better in my book is a waste of money.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I went to a verizon store, spoke with someone who seems to know his stuff. He said that the new blur slows down the droid 3, and that gingerbread is in its testing phase at the moment for the dx2. Not gonna believe it till I see it, but yea thought I would mention it here.

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

No it was the DX2.. no camera button the side...

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a GB DX1 that had more problems after the GB update than before. I do not want GB on my X2 until Moto has a chance the clean it up.

I actually received my X2 because of the issues and problems I had with my DX, granted I still get random reboot when playing music, and I still have network cobnectivity issues. Hopefully a patch or GB will be released soon. But I do not want a buggy released version like my DX got.

Take your time and do it right and you'll only have to do it once...

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Now the question is, is the Droid X2 gonna get the new Blur 3D interface (like the D3, which is also dual core/512mb RAM), or are we gonna get the DX/DX2 Froyo version lol.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm another DX user suffering with GB. Moto's GB release is garbage. Unless you hate the ability to make phone calls and have 3G, and want daily random reboots, stick with Froyo until Motorola gets their act together.

medicff0879

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You could have done much worse than the X2. The reviews that actually count (android central, engadget, etc.) all praise it as a good phone, even with froyo. It has a tegra 2, an 8mp camera, a display that is absolutely brilliant outdoors. Sure it's a little laggy, but patience will eventually be rewarded, and gingerbread WILL be released. We all have a right to be upset, but you would think from these threads that owning a DX2 is the equivalent of eternal damnation. I'm not saying you should be happy, but it's really not THAT bad. There will always be something newer and greater, but currently the DX2 is pretty good. Gingerbread will come. I promise.

This is true, Ill admit that i am quite a novice at all this and more than likely will NEVER use this phone to its true potential sadly enough LOL!! In fact, Im not doubting that after I "upgraded" to GB on the old X that it wasnt part of the problem as to why I had to send it back. Started having all kinds of issues to say the least, randomly repowering, skipping in music, etc.....

The only complaint I have about the x2 is that its HD video taking hasnt improved one bit, I have made several choppy, crappy videos with this phone which was no different that my complaint about the orignial X. But, back on topic, I had no idea what GB was until a friend told me I should update my phone to check it out. I felt like I had to re-learn the phone all over again.

medicff0879

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a GB DX1 that had more problems after the GB update than before. I do not want GB on my X2 until Moto has a chance the clean it up.

I actually received my X2 because of the issues and problems I had with my DX, granted I still get random reboot when playing music, and I still have network cobnectivity issues. Hopefully a patch or GB will be released soon. But I do not want a buggy released version like my DX got.

Take your time and do it right and you'll only have to do it once...

I just posted something similar to this before I had read your post. I received my DX2 for the same reason, the GB really did a number to screw up my old DX.

John Araki

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Got my wife the Droid 3 last week, and while she's not let me go through it much, I'm impressed. If that has to do w/ GB or with the new moto, I'm not sure. But it seems quicker to move through the screens/open apps, etc than my DX2 does. If there were bugs preventing upgrade for the DX2, they have to have been ironed out by now w/ the release of the D3.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded to a DX2 today. It is still running android version 2.2. Other than that, it does seem faster than the DX I had which was running android version 2.3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall