Outlook sync without exchange

TLCC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I am a current BB user thinking about the Droid. My main concern is syncing with my multiple outlooks. I do not have access to or use exchange. I use BB desktop on multiple laptops to keep my data in sync. I tried the G1 back when it came out but the Gmail sync just became a chore. Are there any improved options available. This is my only dealbreaker.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
What I did was open up a gmail account and have all three of my email accounts forwarded to that account so I have push email. Then I downloaded google sync and synced my outlook with my gmail account to move the contacts and calendars to the Droid. It was very easy and I think you can set up multiple gmail accounts to sync different calendars if you want to combine them.

WinstonSmith#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
To me, this is the biggest pain I am facing using this new OS. How to get my contacts, calendar items, and tasks into the phone with perfect integration.

For example, the contacts are displayed by FIRST name in Google stuff, and last name in Outlook. I would much prefer last name.

Also, reminders in Outlook and Windows Phones can be made 1, 2, however many minutes before the event you want. It appears on Android 2.0 that they can only be reminders w/ the preset intervals, such as 5 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.

TLCC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I think I am going to give google sync a try and see how it goes. It would be a shame for this to be to one thing I cant get over.

Danh5

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Eris Outlook Sync Times Out

After downloading the HTC Sync 2.0.8 on my PC for the Eris, syncing timed out with each attempt. Additionally, after each time out the sync icon disappeared from the phone's message bar. I had to turn the phone off and back on again in order to get the icon back, and attempt another sync. After several attempts and a couple of hours with HTC support I gave up. Any thoughts?

IamGov#IM

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I am a syncing fanatic! I need my work and home accounts to sync to my phone instantly or all is lost! LoL. I have owned many BB's, the iPhone, and winmo phones, in my opinion droid syncs the easiest. The syncing through google works instantly with my Macbook and google sync for outlook is awesome, but is on an interval. You can also open calendars and contact lists to others to update or view. If you ever lose the phone all your info is online so you are automatically backed up! From an experienced user I love it!,

Twist747

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The syncing through google works instantly with my Macbook and google sync for outlook is awesome, but is on an interval. You can also open calendars and contact lists to others to update or view. If you ever lose the phone all your info is online so you are automatically backed up! From an experienced user I love it!,

Are you using the Google Apps Sync to a "Premier Service" account? This requires $50/yr. I am just trying to migrate from a Palm Treo (sync w/Hotsync for my Outlook to phone) to a Droid. I haven't tried either options (software or Google 'cloud') but don't want to get into an ongoiing expense.

Clcto

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I am a current BB user thinking about the Droid. My main concern is syncing with my multiple outlooks.

CompanionLink offers a new product for USB Sync for Outlook to any Droid/Android device (1.5, 1.6 and 2.0-Droid). It will handle the case where you have Outlook at Work and at Home and synchronize with both. This also requires only one license from them. CompanionLink synchronizes Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos.

Check out: www.companionlink.com/androidusb

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Are you using the Google Apps Sync to a "Premier Service" account? This requires $50/yr. I am just trying to migrate from a Palm Treo (sync w/Hotsync for my Outlook to phone) to a Droid. I haven't tried either options (software or Google 'cloud') but don't want to get into an ongoiing expense.

Google sync to a free gmail account .. works great. I sync my Outlook calendar with it.

TGuy

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I was a BB user and just recently switched over to the droid; I am fairly happy with this device so far the but the deal breaker will be email. I used BIS with my Tour to get my company email. The only downfall was that i could not respond to them from my phone (not really a big deal to me)
My question for droid (Android ) users: Is there some way to set up my droid to receive emails even if i cant reply from it?

I went through the steps to set up email on the droid but i hit a security wall (that is if i even put in the correct settings) I cant get on my company exchange server because they only allow iPhones and BB's.

Somebody help...this phone is starting to replace my left arm (I Robot) but I would hate to have to return to the slow ripening fruit product I came from...LOL

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
They probably have security policies which the default email app doesn't support for exchange. There's an app called Touchdown for Android that a lot of people are using though. 5 day free trial and then $20 to buy. Check with your IT people to see if they have security policies in place.

TGuy

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok.....Touchdown it is.....this thing is beautiful! Works 100 times better than BIS. Its now time for the fruit (BB) to spoil. Thanks for the tip. I am just amazed.....really!

Naw... I will keep my berry as back up, but it may be forgotten soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik