calendar sync and reminders

HereticHermit

Dec 23, 2021
Visit site
Hey All,
Fired off a 4a couple weeks ago and still in process of learning this phone and android system. Chose Pixel4a for smaller real estate and bloat free environment. Sony use to do small phones however they have shut shop so got Pixel4a without any research beyond these wants.
I am a longtime Blackberry user and never used android before. But with doomsday approaching on 4th January 2022 I had to ditch BB10 and jump on android. You can understand the struggle to ‘like’ android is very real here. I guess my late arrival late to the android party is largely because I have not been a power user and use myriad of apps even much less.
Moving forward, I am trying to set up the device pretty much as ‘workcentric’ as possible. So far I am happy with stock android experience but need advice for couple of niggles that bother me.
1. I use my phone for work first and leisure second. I do not create content nor do I consume content except small sessions of YouTube watching. So far I am happy with what I have.
2. I had high hopes to replicate BB like hub experience but Blackberry Hub is buggy. Microsoft launcher is ok for what it is but that’s about it. I still find the android notification handling subpar and few launchers I tried left me wanting. Gave up on that.
3. My work a/c is handled by Office 365 but the small red blip with unread/new email counter remains stuck and doesn’t clear up even if I run the file cleaner or open the outlook icon from recently used screen or in main app drawer screen.
4. I use a Gmail account to set up the device but it is not an account that I use for any personal work. But I get Goggle calendar everywhere and I not able to make the Outlook calendar as default or sync with Google calendar. I very much want to have Outlook calendar do all the heavy lifting and notify me of coming events etc. (Might add here that I do not want Google contacts to jump into the fry here and have me sending birthday email to Julia, who is a relative, from my work email.)
5. While using Microsoft Teams app, I would like the Teams app give me audio chimes on set intervals rather than just giving me a muted ‘ding’ 15 min before start of event. I tend to miss the single ‘ding’ if I am out and about. Is there any way wherein Teams app meeting/calendar event(s) automatically converts into a ‘Reminder’ and keep chiming every 5 min before the event till I manually kills it?
6. Looking for an app/setting but failed so far, wherein I can set up a ‘Reminder’ BUT with a recorded clip attached to it? I tend to use dictation for reminders. If I want to call John on 1st of January about subject of a planned field visit then I am okay with plain reminders but I also want to ‘listen’ my recording and quickly run through the subject/reason why I am calling him at first place before placing a call to him.

Any help and pointers in this regard is greatly appreciated. Though I am not even sure if I have articulated myself clearly; given my lack of experience with android.

RKSSDBB

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the 4a! I am using one as well as an iPhone Mini 12 as replacements for my Z30 and Key2LE. I can't answer your many detailed questions but I will share my limited experience with you. I know very little about Android and almost nothing about IOS. I am trying to use my personal Outlook account on my Windows computers, Android tablet and the two phones. The calendar works well and syncs to all devices quickly and painlessly. Contacts are a bigger struggle. Google is always muscling in there and I have many duplicate contacts. However, mostly the Outlook Contacts sync on all my devices. I have three email accounts and they all seem to sync across all devices. As to the 4a itself I really prefer the smaller size as well as the even smaller size on the Mini. IOS 15.2 and Android 12 each have their charms as well as annoyances. Android is more flexible for me and I find IOS lock step approach frustrating at times. I never was a pkb guy. I only went with the Key2LE as it was the only BlackBerry left that would work on Verizon which is the best carrier for me. I will avoid Samsung forever as far as I know because i have one of their newer tablets and i absolutely hate all the crap they have loaded onto Android. Good luck with your new phone!

HereticHermit

Dec 23, 2021
Visit site
@RKSSDBB I agree the size of 4a is really manageable. I really don't understand the fixation with nearly 7 inch phones and given how unwieldy they are. I had z10 which was perfect as one hand use phone and iPhone mini 12 did appealed me but after BB10 I wasn't going back to another restricted OS. Android on a 5inch Sony would be goldilocks for me but sadly there is none presently. Android is frustrating too in the sense that it is fragmented because it was never developed as a phone OS from ground up. I hope Fuchsia (which was their original phone OS project back in 2006-7 i recall) comes back to life as rumored to be under active development with help of Samsung.
If nothing else, once I am proficient enough with android, I will ditch google and side-load a google free OS.