One feature I miss or can't seem to find is "AutoText" which is kind of like an autocorrect. Is there anything like that on the Droid?

For example:
    I would type "ILY" on my Storm and that would change into I Love You.

Any tips or suggestions?
    11-16-2009 05:30 PM
    Nobody?
    11-16-2009 09:26 PM
    Hmm... interesting question. Couldn't add to the custom dictionary the way you can on BB. I know there are apps where you can have preset texts/formats, so if you wanted a quick way to send I love you as a text or the beginning of a text you could do that, but I'm not sure a way to insert it on the fly by typing "ILY" or some such. I'll get back to you if I find something.
    11-16-2009 09:42 PM
    I'm looking for that auto text app too. Did anyone find one? I really miss having that application, like I did on my BB. It saved so much time!
    12-28-2009 09:11 AM
    You can with Handcent SMS New. It's in Settings> Auto text setting> Auto text list setting> Add
    Kathy145 likes this.
    12-28-2009 10:17 AM
    You can with Handcent SMS New. It's in Settings> Auto text setting> Auto text list setting> Add
    Huh?? I am using Handcent. I REALLY want to add autotext functionality. I looked every possible place I could think of in the app and could not find "autotext settings" anywhere. Please supply more info. Thanks
    12-28-2009 03:59 PM
    It's right where Chris said it was. Open Handcent and then click on the wrench (settings) icon. Scroll down to the Keyboard setting section and then click: Auto text setting> Auto text list setting> Add. From what I can tell it only works with the physical keyboard.
    12-28-2009 04:07 PM
    Ahhhhh... I see the problem. I was using Handcent. But, was mistakenly opening the app thru the native "messaging" icon - I opened Hancent directly and Viola - there's the option. Thanks for the clarification,when you sorta restated his post it started making more sense. Thanks again.
    12-28-2009 04:30 PM
    No problem... my brain functions the same way most of the time
    12-28-2009 04:50 PM
    Well, I got it completely figured out. However, it ONLY works with slide out keyboard - basically useless since I rarely ever use the physical keyboard.

Well, at least my knowledge base is increasing.
    12-28-2009 06:13 PM
    Well, I got it completely figured out. However, it ONLY works with slide out keyboard - basically useless since I rarely ever use the physical keyboard.

Well, at least my knowledge base is increasing.
    Yeah I wasn't aware of that when I posted lol. Sorry. I use auto text as much as I use the physical keyboard so that would explain my ignorance lol. Maybe the dev will fix that issue.
    12-29-2009 05:33 AM
    Hello
    with "Smart Keyboard Pro" you have custom AutoText even without the physical keyboard
    02-27-2010 06:36 AM
    Whats the advantage of using Handcent? New to Droid and I dont want to add junk on my phone want to keep it running smooth and keep all my space for the application worth having and using.
    02-28-2010 12:04 PM
    With the Droid, you can do something like that by going to Settings > Language & Keyboard > User Dictionary, which will allow you to add item that will be included in the corrections. I added all the relevant email addresses, user names, personal names, etc. that are always a bother to have to type out all the way. Additionally, I now have gone back to Better Keyboard, as it offers suggestions even on the physical keyboard.
    03-06-2010 06:38 PM
    I have an HTC EVO Shift. Coming from BB, I really miss this "auto text"/ "shorthand" option as well. I like the keyboard that comes with the phone already. Is there an app that I can use that does not require using a different keyboard?

I mainly use the touch keyboard. So, the Handcent trick doesn't really work for me either.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    02-15-2011 01:15 PM
    Hello
    with "Smart Keyboard Pro" you have custom AutoText even without the physical keyboard
    I downloaded "Smart Keyboard Trial" to try it, as I had not tried this particular app. So far I love it! I especially love the skins feature. I have a choice on keyboard style. From a pink keyboard to one with more space between keys. I haven't had much typing time with yet, but the customizations and features are GREAT!! So far, so good. Time will tell, but I will keep a good thought.

Thanks for the great advice!
    02-15-2011 03:07 PM
    Okay so I found the auto correct section.. but when ever I go to try to turn it on it is a light grey and wont work.. help please.
    01-03-2013 05:45 PM
    was this ever solved? i tried to add "emma" as my email address with my email address in the phrase field and emma in shortcut... however in android 4.2.2 on my vzw galaxy nexus, when i type in emma it doesn't auto expand... It suprises me that an OS Such as android doesn't make this better and eassier to do! was an ios user;;; and 98% of my wor at ZipNadaZilch was done from my phone just because I had shortcut keystrokes
    thanks for any help i want these to be system wide;;;; so i can login to pandora with "emma" and not my 27 char email!
    michael
    06-15-2013 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD