Red Sensor of Death

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
About 8am this morning I'm about to tweet something using twidget and BAM, phone just resets. I would get to the Droid print across the screen into the red sensor (eye?) and...repeat. Numerous battery pulls, voodoo, prayers to mythological gods and still nothing. Good news is all it took was a quick swap at Verizon, the manager told me only about 4 units had come back to his store with this problem.

bb.storm.808

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I had something similar happen this morning. It started doing the reset loop, but when I pulled the battery, it seemed to fix it. I've had reset problems since getting the device; I'm exchanging for another.

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend you just swap it out for a new one while you're still in your 30 days. Battery pulls didn't help mine at all.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Mine was doing that and would freeze with a blank screen when on long phone calls... they swapped it out for me.. Make sure to write down your apps.. they do not transfer..(I have not gotten any paid apps so Im not sure if those transfer. New phone is doing well though... Seems that my slider was tighter on the old one but the new is not bad...

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Mine was doing that and would freeze with a blank screen when on long phone calls... they swapped it out for me.. Make sure to write down your apps.. they do not transfer..(I have not gotten any paid apps so Im not sure if those transfer. New phone is doing well though... Seems that my slider was tighter on the old one but the new is not bad...
Is this a common problem here.... or something that just happens to very few Droids?

I know that when something is new, there are bound to be some lemons in the batch.

Doesn't Android have anything similar to BB's DM, where you'll be able to do back ups of all your activities (please excuse the questions.. I'm fairly new to the Android world)?

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Some people have had that problem not a ton though. I hear replace the phone is the best thing. Others say pull the SD card and that helps

hotelmode

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Last night I plugged in my phone and turned it off and it turned itself back on again and again.

That seams to be a standard thing. The phone won't turn off if it's charging. If it turned back on again and again without any input from you, then yes that's a problem!

But, if you turn the phone off while it's charging, it'll turn right back on again.

darkstar

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
some allege that there was a stealth OTA update last night that fixed the camera... in my line of work.. when one thing is fixed.. you could break a few things (specially with Moto)..

So.. its either a hardware or software issue. ;)

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
My first phone wouldn't turn on after doing a batt pull until I plugged it in. Kind of a different issue, but related. I do not have this issue with droid 2.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
some allege that there was a stealth OTA update last night that fixed the camera... in my line of work.. when one thing is fixed.. you could break a few things (specially with Moto)..

So.. its either a hardware or software issue. ;)

there was no update, the camera bug is date related and essentially has temporarily fixed itself for now.

mine reset once and a battery pull later, i haven't had any problems.

apps should be linked to your google account so purchased apps should download again for free. that was how they talked about the platform when it was new at least...

there's programs you can find on the market that will back everything up to your sd card and you can restore them from there onto your new phone

contacts, calendar appts, and emails are stored in the cloud and will resync when you set up the new phone

darkstar

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I didnt think they did an update... I read last night that cleaning the camera lens would fix the auto focus.. so it does work... but also there was the suspicion that there was an update... but i didn't check the camera before i cleaned..

personally i hope that it was cleaning the lens... i dont like the idea of stealth OTA pushes.

Google already owns enough of my data.. I at least want to know when it gets new code.

darkstar

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Now I did.

Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
So it appears this is what transpired. I was pretty skeptical of a "silent update" No idea how they could flash the firmware without an install/notification (not saying it NOT possible but don't understand how)

I got this off of Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

Explains the 11th push for the update maybe?

So glad I left BB. If this was a RIM issue we'd be waiting for months : )

Nope. Google’s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.