Using phone while charging

Noseeums

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey folks,

I remember, from phones in the past, that their useful battery life would somehow be significantly reduced if I used them while they were charging.

Does the Droid's Li-ion battery share this same wear & tear trait? The only reason I ask is because I've had three Droids. The first two had great battery life, but this third one drains rather quickly. The only thing I've done differently with this third Droid is I have used it a lot while it was charging. Using it while charging seems to create extra heat (which I think may be the culprit to reducing usable battery life).

Just curious. I've never read any official stuff on this subject, but I've experienced it in the past.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think using your Droid would have any bad effect on your battery. I use mine all the time when charging and haven't seen any difference since day 1. If the battery is real bad I would call Verizon or go to one of their stores and see if they won't replace it.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I haven't experienced any issues in battery performance because I use it while it's charging. The only thing is it might take it longer to charge because you're using it, but other than that I can't see how it would hurt.

eventnick

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
This has confused me so does this phone have a LiPo (Lithium Polymer) or a Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery? They are very different chemistries and that battery label identifies it as "Lithium Ion Polymer"
???

raequinn

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Most important thing is to initially fully charge and fully discharge a couple of time. That helps set the battery memory. Then your good to go with charger on or off.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I charge mine and talk on it all the time.. Sometimes it shocks me... thats not cool, but I use the Pandora App all the time while I'm charging it and the battery still charges. I haven't seen any problems with it, and if i forget to charge it at night its fine in the morning...

Has anyone gotten an extra battery for swap it our on their phone or has anyone had to change their battery?