GMail sync failure... is this frequent?

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
So my 4 day old Droid tonight stopped receiving Gmail emails. I did some searching and learned that if you go into Settings - Applications - Manage Applications (menu - filter ALL applications) - GMail Storage - Clear Data that takes care of the problem.

This worked, and that's fine. But being new to the Droid and new to Android, this is quite troubling. Is this a common thing to have happen? I hadn't made any changes to my phone or anything. I really don't like that my phone can stop receiving e-mails without my knowing it... This could be problematic!

If it's once in a VERY long while thing, that's fine, but being that I'm only a few days into this and it's already happened, I'm not too sure about that. Reliability is one of my chief needs in a phone. Above all, it needs to WORK as much of the time as possible. Everything else is just gravy!

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
While I didn't have any issues today, I've read that Gmail was having technical issues today.

That said, I've found Gmail way more reliable over all than BlackBerry's (RIM's) system or MobileMe (Apple's).

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
My phone did this once, 4 days in. It hasn't done it since.
That's good to hear...
While I didn't have any issues today, I've read that Gmail was having technical issues today.

That said, I've found Gmail way more reliable over all than BlackBerry's (RIM's) system or MobileMe (Apple's).

Also good to hear. Although I must say, my Blackberry very rarely failed to deliver messages. I can't even think of one time, actually.

I have 30 days to decide whether I keep this phone. So far, I'm loving it, but finding small quirks here and there that annoy me. However, I think they're mostly software things that will probably respond to updates, and they're very minor at that. GMail not syncing is NOT a minor issue, however...

Looking forward to see what 2.1 brings!

Lotus17ss

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Mine was doing the same. But even when I accessed my gmail acct on my PC it wasn't getting my messages. So I went in to settings and manually had it fetch. After that. ....no problem. Must be a gmail thing because my friend had the same thing happen and he has an iPhone

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
This is the first time Android/gmail has been slow/failed for me in 3 months. Which statistically is on average with my Blackberry, which had email problems at about the same rate.

The difference is, usually it was RIM's push servers breaking (physical or software-wise), while in this case, there are troubles with the gmail code/operation.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone for just over two months and have had no problem with gmail in that time. I've also been using gmail with my old WM phone, and it also never had problems, except in very rare cases.

Yesterday, as MBSMD said, Google was reporting gmail issues with a significant number of users (I was not one, as it turned out.) Google has an apps status page here for future reference, and you can see yesterday's report here.

G

GenericMessage

I've had my phone for just over two months and have had no problem with gmail in that time. I've also been using gmail with my old WM phone, and it also never had problems, except in very rare cases.

Yesterday, as MBSMD said, Google was reporting gmail issues with a significant number of users (I was not one, as it turned out.) Google has an apps status page here for future reference, and you can see yesterday's report here.

Agreed, I was one who had a bit of issues in the amount of time it took to receive emails.

Seems all fixed today though. Anyone else having outages still?