Potential Verizon Xoom purchase....question!

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy an unused Verizon XOOM for 400 bucks off contract. First of all, does that sound like a good deal? Or totally outdated?

Second, how does Verizon pay as you go service work? Is it similar to iPad on At&t? I tried searching for specifics but all I found was a bunch of complaining back in March when it first came out and Verizon was using unreasonable activation fees if a user wanted to continue/discontinue service at will. Are they still continuing this scam like practice with activation fees or is it more sane now?

appreciate any feedback on these two subjects.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
There is an activation fee ever time you restart the service. I think its 30 dollars.

and I wouldn't get a xoom this late in the game. I would get the galaxy tab which is a much better device overall or if you don't mind waiting you can get a quad core tab later this year/early 2012

its my opinion that you stay away from the xoom and especially stay away fromverizon's data plans, they are a complete rip of f

Reactions: Castorshells

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
The $400 is a great price. If want the Verizon service its not like the ipad pay as you go. Your not locked to a contract but if you cancel and want service again its a fee. If you want 4g its not on the Xoom yet and select people got the upgrade so you will have to wait and ship it out later for it. I would wait for something new if you can. I got the Verizon Xoom the day it came out and that was forever ago. It's kinda old now funny as it sounds. Its still a awesome device that I wont part with for some time.

sent by CyanogenMod X

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I love the XOOM and if I did not own a tablet, but knew what I know now, I would purchase the XOOM again... without doubt.

But there is some food for thought here. You are in the market for a tablet at a bad time. In fact, this is a bad time to look to buy anything... a car... a house...

It's a bad time to buy a car, because you'll still be paying jacked up prices, yet the bargain time to buy is only three months away (end of December, after Christmas).

It's a bad time to buy a house because people want to get out of their homes (and into their next homes) by mid Summer... so their kids can start the new school year in a new school. Because it takes about 90 days between agreeing and closing, you're much more likely to find a highly motivated seller in early Summer than the beginning of Fall.

It's a bad time to buy a tablet, because it has been about six months since the onslaught of new tablet announcements and it's less than six months before the next onslaught. Electronics, especially mobile electronics has a short lifespan... no more than two years. Being six months into the current crop means you're getting in late. If you can wait until after CES and Mobile World Congress, you'd be sure to get something at the very beginning of it's life cycle.

All that being said... It comes down to how important the $400 is to you. Are you willing to spend $400 for a tablet that will be "last year's model" in less than six months? If it were me and I had no tablet at all, yeah, I'd blow the C-notes on that XOOM... no question about it. But a lot of people wouldn't. For those people, I would suggest waiting until March is the best path.

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
hmm sounds like i will hold off on this one. I already have an ipad, and just wanted to play around with alternative.

The real deal breaker for me is probably the service verizon provides with their activation fees, etc. I use the iPad's att plan when i travel, so not having the convinience of stopping service at will is a big deal to me.

Oh well, going to wait for something cooler or hunt down a cheapo transformer!

thank you all for great feedback

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
hmm sounds like i will hold off on this one. I already have an ipad, and just wanted to play around with alternative.

The real deal breaker for me is probably the service verizon provides with their activation fees, etc. I use the iPad's att plan when i travel, so not having the convinience of stopping service at will is a big deal to me.

Oh well, going to wait for something cooler or hunt down a cheapo transformer!

thank you all for great feedback

You don't have to have the data plan. That's a great price and you could almost certainly get your money back out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez