Xoom--will Ipad 2 announcement have an effect?

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
ipad2-vs-xoom-gslate-galaxy-tab.png

This really puts thing into perspective and shows why the xoom is priced more. I would hate to not have Micro usb and no sd card

willray411

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The spec sheet is cool to look at and all, but having something decked out in the best specs isn't even necessarily a sell. I'm not looking to have a 1TB tablet because its just that, a tablet. Its not going to be my computer, but a side screen I use for college and fun browsing. 32G is more then enough for me. Also 4G, not going to use it. 3G either. I'm going to be primarily using it at home, and when I'm not I'll tether. Also form factor, size, weight are very important because I'll be primarily holding the tablet most of the time.

The barometer is cool to have in the zoom, but if its keeping the price from being $20 cheaper, then get rid of the thing. Is there any app or anything anyone uses the barometer for?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Motorola, for some reason, sold its soul to Verizon for this thing. Which is why I think they've pretty much been silent on the WiFi-only version for the US.

It's quite disheartening.

Reactions: watchout4d

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Should add number of apps to that chart. Also, there is no flash or sd card support until there is.

Ill happily wait for more apps, i had to for the ipad when i bought on release, Waiting on Adobe for flash support. SD card is very nice, i can wait for it to be activated, considering i never had it on my ipad since last year. Was going to pick up an ipad 2 also, but the lack of everything that has been mentioned I will save my money. Plus for the ipad, that i would of wanted would of cost me more. 729.00+40.00 hdmi cable ( I use the HDMI cable alot) Since i got the Xoom for 599.00 Im pretty sure i came out on top.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Ill happily wait for more apps, i had to for the ipad when i bought on release, Waiting on Adobe for flash support. SD card is very nice, i can wait for it to be activated, considering i never had it on my ipad since last year. Was going to pick up an ipad 2 also, but the lack of everything that has been mentioned I will save my money. Plus for the ipad, that i would of wanted would of cost me more. 729.00+40.00 hdmi cable ( I use the HDMI cable alot) Since i got the Xoom for 599.00 Im pretty sure i came out on top.
But we are waiting for a lot of things. The iPad2 is what it is. The Xoom is what it will be. In 6 months which one is better? Well we know what the iPad willl be and will have to wait for the Xoom.

I like my Xoom, but I see it's short comings. In 6 months if it has Flash, Micro SD and 4G then it will be better then the iPad2. But in 10 days I think they will probably be hardware wise similar with the iPad2 getting the win because of apps.

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
But we are waiting for a lot of things. The iPad2 is what it is. The Xoom is what it will be. In 6 months which one is better? Well we know what the iPad willl be and will have to wait for the Xoom.

I like my Xoom, but I see it's short comings. In 6 months if it has Flash, Micro SD and 4G then it will be better then the iPad2. But in 10 days I think they will probably be hardware wise similar with the iPad2 getting the win because of apps.

I have an ipod touch, really no reason to buy a ipad besides the big screen, considering they are basically the same thing. If the Xoom was the same as my Droid X i wouldn't waste my money on it. If and when apple makes a ios for tablet use, i will be back in line for one.

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
The apps really differentiate the iPad. I still like the potential for the Xoom, but I think Apple did a better job of having tablet apps ready at launch. I can only find less than 20 on my Xoom, and I believe the iPad had 5 times that at launch.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
The spec sheet is cool to look at and all, but having something decked out in the best specs isn't even necessarily a sell. I'm not looking to have a 1TB tablet because its just that, a tablet. Its not going to be my computer, but a side screen I use for college and fun browsing. 32G is more then enough for me. Also 4G, not going to use it. 3G either. I'm going to be primarily using it at home, and when I'm not I'll tether. Also form factor, size, weight are very important because I'll be primarily holding the tablet most of the time.

The barometer is cool to have in the zoom, but if its keeping the price from being $20 cheaper, then get rid of the thing. Is there any app or anything anyone uses the barometer for?

I was surprised to see weatherbug app uses the barometer.

Last edited:
Reactions: willray411

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The apps really differentiate the iPad. I still like the potential for the Xoom, but I think Apple did a better job of having tablet apps ready at launch. I can only find less than 20 on my Xoom, and I believe the iPad had 5 times that at launch.

I agree, they did fail on the apps, considering ipad didnt have very many apps at launch, most of them were crappy apps. Ill happily wait for more apps Xoom is a better rounded device. I bought the Xoom because i wanted a tablet optimized android experience, not the same expierience i get on my android phone. With the ipad you do not have that option, its the exact same experience on the ipod touch, iphone and ipad.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an ipod touch, really no reason to buy a ipad besides the big screen, considering they are basically the same thing. If the Xoom was the same as my Droid X i wouldn't waste my money on it. If and when apple makes a ios for tablet use, i will be back in line for one.

How is the Xoom different from your DroidX, just curious, I don't have an X.

willray411

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised to see the weather channel beta app uses the barometer.

Cool to hear, now I'm interested. This is the first time I've heard of the barometer aside from hearing that it has one before launch. I'm kind of a weather nerd and now I'm actually much more interested in the xoom and the barometer aside from my last post. Thanks for the info!

Deathshead

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I love the freedom of Android on my Droid x, custom roms you name it, BUT,...

For Me its all coming down to Apps, I have a 2 year old son, and there isnt JACK out there really for kids games, I literally have found about 6-10 "decent" apps for him to play, and even they are a bit unpolished..

$499 is a very attractive price compared to the xoom and g tablet, etc..

The content is just not there yet for Android, I know its coming but I have been waiting for some real breakthrough now for almost a year,

I must admit, going from my Droid X and picking up an iphone, is like picking up a toy for the mentally challenged.. but the ipad 2 has all the content, EDIT- But still cant provide a "real" browsing experience...

Right now a Honeycomb tablet is like buying a top of the line CD player in 1982..

and this is coming from an APPLE HATER< lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana