ADB vs Nexus 4 toolkit

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This is a newbie question, I know, but I was reading the "10 Android Commands You Should Know" article and it occurred to me that the program that was mentioned, which I presume to be ADB, sounds similar to the Nexus 4 Toolkit. Do these two programs do the same thing? Regarding rooting and unlocking, will either one assist in doing this, and does it matter which one you use?

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a newbie question, I know, but I was reading the "10 Android Questions You Should Know" article and it occurred to me that the program that was mentioned, which I presume to be ADB, sounds similar to the Nexus 4 Toolkit. Do these two programs do the same thing? Regarding rooting and unlocking, will either one assist in doing this, and does it matter which one you use?
Congrats!! you are now starting to understand Android hacks/rooting etc!! Yup thats right. all those windows/mac/linux programs used for rooting/backups etc is using adb or fastboot behind the scene to accomplish it.

if you know what you are doing you dont need those toolkits you can use fastboot/adb to do anything. I absolutely go basics with rooting and have never used toolkits

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
This is a newbie question, I know, but I was reading the "10 Android Questions You Should Know" article and it occurred to me that the program that was mentioned, which I presume to be ADB, sounds similar to the Nexus 4 Toolkit. Do these two programs do the same thing? Regarding rooting and unlocking, will either one assist in doing this, and does it matter which one you use?

Welcome to AC!

As still1 said, you're definitely on the right track. I'm no coding genius or anything, but I highly recommend learning those basic commands -- what they do and when to use them.

It's like teaching a man to fish versus handing him a couple of patties from Long John Silver's, ya know? :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

As still1 said, you're definitely on the right track. I'm no coding genius or anything, but I highly recommend learning those basic commands -- what they do and when to use them.

It's like teaching a man to fish versus handing him a couple of patties from Long John Silver's, ya know? :)

Hah, best adaptation of that analogy I've seen.

When you get down to the basics, ADB and the toolkits don't just do the same thing, they are close to being the same thing. The toolkits are a more user-friendly "shell" around the raw ADB and fastboot commands. When you use the toolkits, you're calling the ADB and fastboot commands in the manner that the toolkit developer has hard-coded into said toolkit.

Learning at least those ten commands from the article will give you much more creative control over your phone, and open many options. As an example, I frequently use the pull and push ADB commands to backup and restore large numbers of files that I don't have synchronized to my Google account.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's the one.

I downloaded the zip file in the article but have been unable to find the drivers needed. However I think the N4 Toolkit has them so I may just get that as well and familiarize myself with both.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Andrw

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong because the push pull commands do not work for me. It would always show device not found. Anyways, my first android device, and I went straight to using fastboot commands rather than toolkits. Still lots to learn. Takes time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
HOW TO SIDELOAD

Command line:

adb devices

adb reboot recovery

> On the device:
>
> hold VOL UP + Power
> Arrow down to install via adb
> hit power button to select

Command Line:

adb sideload <filename.zip>

Reboot the phone.

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried doing it but every time i do the adb sideload the adb says it does not understand the sideload command..everything else works fine just that any ideas as why?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the device serial number shows up when you type adb devices. If not reunstall the drivers. Make sure the file you are installing us in the same filder as adb abd make sure the command propmp is open in tbe samr filder I as adb.

Also make sure usb debugging is on in developer options on the phone and the phone is in the bootloader.

lethalgorman

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
im new to the nexus line. Im used to Odin on the SGS2. Also trying to stay away from toolkits, but Im sooo confused with ADB and drivers and paths. Ill keep trying but damn its confusing. Any advice or links would be appreciated.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the latest Android SDK doesn't do 'adb sideload' from the PC side. I tried it yesterday with my new N4 and it threw an error. 'adb push' and 'adb install' are the commands that work, iirc.

obdeuce

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
i am trying to root my nexus 4 currently and am stuck trying to create a backup. when i type "adb backup -all" im given "adb: unable to connect to backup" in response. ive browsed the forums quite a bit and none have helped or refer to my particular phone or version of android. if you can help me or link me to a solution id be extremely grateful. this is not my first attempt, me and a friend had a failed attempt some time ago that i fear is causing the problem. we were quite intoxicated at the time and have no idea what we were using, or how far we got.

how ever i am able to use titanium backup, but i dont know if its sufficient to return my phone to its previous state once its wiped.....still prefer a solution to my adb issue but i would like to know if titanium backup would work as well. super thanks, folks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez