Setting default home screen

hytekjosh

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a HTC One, I was able to create additional home screens to the left and right of my default home screen. This is great because you don't have to keep swiping to get to apps. For example, if I had three home screens with the default in the middle, I can swipe left for one page of apps and right for another right off the default screen. Now with Marshmallow, if I have three screens, it seems the default is always the furthest left, and I would have to swipe twice to get to the third page. Extra swipes/layers aren't too efficient from a UI experience perspective. Anyone see a way to re-order/set defaults or will I need to make a feature request?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Depends on which phone and launcher you're using. Google Now launcher doesn't do what you want, but 3rd party launchers, such as Nova, will accomodate you.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a HTC One, I was able to create additional home screens to the left and right of my default home screen. This is great because you don't have to keep swiping to get to apps. For example, if I had three home screens with the default in the middle, I can swipe left for one page of apps and right for another right off the default screen. Now with Marshmallow, if I have three screens, it seems the default is always the furthest left, and I would have to swipe twice to get to the third page. Extra swipes/layers aren't too efficient from a UI experience perspective. Anyone see a way to re-order/set defaults or will I need to make a feature request?

Try Nova Launcher. It is a robust, full featured launcher that will do what you are requesting and a whole lot more. :)

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to use a launcher. I guess I will submit this as a feature request for the next release of Android. Thank you!

Google Now Launcher (the default launcher of these Nexus devices) has never supported having a page on the left of the main home. That's always been reserved for Google Now. It'd be nice if they allow some customizations to this launcher, but they haven't yet. It is definitely worth asking for in future releases, but why not try Nova Launcher? this is hands down the best launcher out there (IMO). Just try it. If you don't like it, uninstall it and just deal with Google Now Launcher. With Nova, you can have as many screens left and right of the main one as you like, it is much faster and more fluid than HTC's (and IMO, many OEM's verisons). And you can even apply icon packs to the stock icons. You can arrange your icons without a dock if you'd like. Here's what my homescreen looks like:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x/596768-nexus-5x-homescreens.html#post4765412

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried to "go stock" for about an hour...before I got sick of the google launcher and restored nova prime via helium device-to-device sync.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to use a launcher. I guess I will submit this as a feature request for the next release of Android. Thank you!

Added feature request, vote/star if you like it: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=191212

I don't think you quite understand what a launcher is or how they work. You might want to do a little light reading/experimenting before you go too crazy.

Saying you don't want to use a launcher is like saying you want windows without a desktop. By default you are using the google now launcher, but you are free to download any other launcher from the play store and set that as your default. As has been previously stated the nova launcher may have the functionality you are looking for.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Nova Launcher definitely has what he's looking for.

I'm going to try sticking with the Google Now launcher for a while (mostly b/c Google made it harder to access Now due to the Now on Tap shortcut), but I have a feeling that I'll be going back to Nova Prime again, just like always. Especially since Nova has the "swipe up" action that allows you to hide folders on your home screen... I have a feeling I'll miss that particular customization too much.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Nova Launcher definitely has what he's looking for.

I'm going to try sticking with the Google Now launcher for a while (mostly b/c Google made it harder to access Now due to the Now on Tap shortcut), but I have a feeling that I'll be going back to Nova Prime again, just like always. Especially since Nova has the "swipe up" action that allows you to hide folders on your home screen... I have a feeling I'll miss that particular customization too much.

One of my fave features of Nova as well (swipe up action)

Posted via the Android Central App

Contact AL-Basit

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Setting default home screen in middle

How can i set the default in the middle of home screen in my nexus 5x?
As it is already set left side of home screen how can i change it in the middle?