Um, did I just get lucky? Nexus 6P is Flawless

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to start by saying that, as my husband would be the first to tell anyone, I am one of the unluckiest people in the world: if I get in the shortest queue, the person in front of me has a million questions or a return or credit card declined; if I play the lottery, I always lose; if I buy something, it always has something wrong with it. I feel really bad, because I know so many people have had so many issues with their 6Ps, and I am absolutely NOT trying to "rub it in", but I thought it worth sharing my experience to let people know, primarily, that there seem to be some units/situations that are not proving to be problematic; and to offer to check things on my device if people have questions.

So, as I noted in the "Order and Shipping" thread, I ordered my 128 GB Frost on Oct. 30; got an estimated delivery date range of Nov. 13-16; say my "pending status" change to "processing" on when I woke up on Nov. 5; shipped that night and arrived today. I did an initial set-up via WiFi at work (as I didn't have the proper SIM card) and, among other things, the out-of-box OS update installed without incident.

On my way home from work, I stopped at the closest Verizon Wireless store to pick up a nano SIM card, where I was greeted by a tech who was very enthusiastic to help me because he was very interested in the Nexus 6P. He had me up and running in 5 minutes, then we spent another 10 minutes just exploring and talking about the phone a bit.

Upon leaving the VZW store I paired the phone with my car (2008 BMW 3-series' iDrive infotainment system) with no problem. I immediately placed 2 calls to test the much reported call dropping issue ..., and nothing happened, except that my calls went through and stayed connected without interruption or incident. I've had the phone connected to WiFi both at work and now at home without any issue whatsoever. I added a few GB of music to the phone and played it over the built-in speakers, not terribly expensive ear buds and bluetooth speaker, and the volume has been absolutely fine via all output methods.

There were no scratches or mars on the device, and there is no bulge in the lower portion of the back of the phone. I'm currently downloading essentially all my apps from the Google Play Store, and the phone still feels cool to the touch. I've played with the camera very little, but what I've seen seems good, even in low light.

Have I forgotten anything?

This is not to say that issues will not arise in the coming days, but I wanted to let people know that there is at least one - apparently - good unit out there in the world, because the reports of problems I was seeing on AC were starting to get me very concerned. And don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate everyone's reports of the issues they've been having. But, by the same token, I just felt that - because of those - it warranted a report from someone who - for whatever reason - seems to have gotten lucky and has had no problem with this phone.

And now I've probably jinxed myself and will be in gremlin hell tomorrow. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So far mine has been pretty much perfect as well. I don't hear a difference in the speaker volume, no bulge on the back, no scratches, headphones sound great... Not trying to tempt fate here just adding my experience. During the first few weeks of a phone launch there are always posts about defects. I think it happens with every phone launch. This isn't a knock against those that have issues its just how it is.

Edit: I have had issues with launch-day products so I have been there and done that. The nexus 10 tablet definetly had its launch issues. Never got one without bad light bleed so ended up going with another tablet. It sucks but is a part of the early adapters dilemma if you will. "Do I wait for the second production batch or GIMME NAOW I WANTS IT!!"

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
So far mine has been perfect, too. Got it today and activated to Project Fi without a hitch. Transferred my Verizon number in like 30 seconds even though it says it could take 1-2 business days. This thing is so smooth! Have the black Adopted case ordered from Google since they gave me a 50% off code for it. Haven't received the latest OTA update yet. So far I'm very satisfied with my 6P. Worth all the hastle and drama with the shipping problems Google has.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
forums are for people to post issues and it will look like many people have issues but the truth is most dont have any issues.

Last edited:

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
forums are for pwoplw to post issues and it will look like many people have issues but the truth is most dont have any issues.

You know, that's a very good point. I know I come here to seek and discuss solutions to problems when I have them, as well (and the folks here are always great with sharing advice). So, you're right: I suppose reading these forums will tend to emphasize the problems people are having, and not highlight the "silent majority" who aren't having issues.

A couple of other things I wanted to note: I had no issue setting up my work Exchange account and having my work contacts and calendar items on my phone.

The only issue I've had so far is that, for some reason I haven't identified yet, the "Os" in my contacts have not fully synced with my car. It seems as if every other contact (or at least the vast majority of them) have synced fine, but when I tried to call my "Office Voicemail" contact, it wasn't there and I noticed that there are only 2 entries in the "O" section. Gotta work on that. Pretty minor issue, all things considered.

That, and I can't find widgets ... like, at all. Weird.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who seems to have had a good experience with this device, but I'm still really sorry for those folks who are struggling.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a phone for my husband and as it will be his first ever smartphone, and we are waiting for Project Fi invites, so don't actually have a carrier yet, I've been setting it up for him and checking out out.

Have to say that I've yet to experience any of the reported issues that might make me wish to RMA the device. Just ordered one for myself today, hoping it will be just as good!

rockledgefl

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
ditto... I ordered mine through Fi on 10/1 (64BG alum), received it 11/2, set up went perfectly and the phone works fine on the Fi network. Got a Ringke FUSION clear case which looks good and shows off the aluminum. Even the $2 usb type A to C cables I got on Ebay from china work, rapid charge the phone and connect properly to Android auto.

Speakers are far better than my Note 3 and headphone quality and levels are certainly acceptable. My Note 3 was on At&t with marginal service at my home. I have to say that the 6P has the best call quality I've ever had on any phone, both on Wifi and on celluar.

I think the odds are that most of the phones shipped will be fine as well. Best of luck to those with problems, but I think an RMA will get you a good one. IMHO

archermoo

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Similar experience here. Phone was delivered on the last day of my original delivery window, so I can't really fault that. I don't see any physical faults with it. It paired with my 2015 Mini with no problem, and happily does both telephone and music. No problem with either calls or texts. The camera seems to be very nice, especially in low light. I'm able to set up a wireless hotspot with no issues, with AT&T as my provider (at least until my Fi SIM shows up).

On sites like this in general you just see people that are having problems and need help. That changes at a major product launch. At that point you get a lot of people looking for information about the new product, when it is going to ship, etc. But as the new product gets into people's hands, again what you see for the most part is the people who have had problems posting. Which can get the people that are looking for information worried, as all they see are people posting about the problems that they are having. Generally those problems are with a pretty minor percentage of the products that are shipping, but they get magnified because people who aren't having problems don't generally look for forums to post about their lack of issues. :)

So it's best to not get too worked up about the issues being reported. Not necessarily because they aren't real issues, but because they aren't likely to be impacting more than a tiny percentage of users. I'd say you weren't so much lucky as you managed to not be unlucky.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have to start by saying that, as my husband would be the first to tell anyone, I am one of the unluckiest people in the world: if I get in the shortest queue, the person in front of me has a million questions or a return or credit card declined; if I play the lottery, I always lose; if I buy something, it always has something wrong with it. I feel really bad, because I know so many people have had so many issues with their 6Ps, and I am absolutely NOT trying to "rub it in", but I thought it worth sharing my experience to let people know, primarily, that there seem to be some units/situations that are not proving to be problematic; and to offer to check things on my device if people have questions.

So, as I noted in the "Order and Shipping" thread, I ordered my 128 GB Frost on Oct. 30; got an estimated delivery date range of Nov. 13-16; say my "pending status" change to "processing" on when I woke up on Nov. 5; shipped that night and arrived today. I did an initial set-up via WiFi at work (as I didn't have the proper SIM card) and, among other things, the out-of-box OS update installed without incident.

On my way home from work, I stopped at the closest Verizon Wireless store to pick up a nano SIM card, where I was greeted by a tech who was very enthusiastic to help me because he was very interested in the Nexus 6P. He had me up and running in 5 minutes, then we spent another 10 minutes just exploring and talking about the phone a bit.

Upon leaving the VZW store I paired the phone with my car (2008 BMW 3-series' iDrive infotainment system) with no problem. I immediately placed 2 calls to test the much reported call dropping issue ..., and nothing happened, except that my calls went through and stayed connected without interruption or incident. I've had the phone connected to WiFi both at work and now at home without any issue whatsoever. I added a few GB of music to the phone and played it over the built-in speakers, not terribly expensive ear buds and bluetooth speaker, and the volume has been absolutely fine via all output methods.

There were no scratches or mars on the device, and there is no bulge in the lower portion of the back of the phone. I'm currently downloading essentially all my apps from the Google Play Store, and the phone still feels cool to the touch. I've played with the camera very little, but what I've seen seems good, even in low light.

Have I forgotten anything?

This is not to say that issues will not arise in the coming days, but I wanted to let people know that there is at least one - apparently - good unit out there in the world, because the reports of problems I was seeing on AC were starting to get me very concerned. And don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate everyone's reports of the issues they've been having. But, by the same token, I just felt that - because of those - it warranted a report from someone who - for whatever reason - seems to have gotten lucky and has had no problem with this phone.

And now I've probably jinxed myself and will be in gremlin hell tomorrow. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
Well said. We have 2 6P's in my house. We're happy so far. Nothing is flawless. But we're satisfied.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
And I've just finished my first full day with the device, and I couldn't be happier with my battery life. With a day of what constitutes very heavy usage to me (downloading apps and configuring them, streaming music and videos, and just generally playing around much more than I normally would) I got 13 1/2 hours and 5 hours 20 minutes SOT before I got down to 15%. And it wasn't until later that I realized I've had location services on all day (something I've had to get in the habit of turning off unless I'm using it for fear of bleeding my battery dry in my G2). I was also extremely impressed with the virtual flat-lined battery drain due to Doze on the 1 occasion when I set it down for an hour. I have no doubt that I'll be able to easily get through a normal day (at least) without having to recharge - again, something that I haven't been able to do on my G2 since the Lollipop Apocalypse. I'm very happy with the results today, but looking forward to seeing how it performs on a "normal day".

p.s. - and I had intended to let it go until it shut down, but I connected it to my computer to sync my music via DoubleTwist, which ended up slow charging it a bit; enough to get me another 3 hours of use and playing before it got down below 20%.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was worried when my Frost 6P got stuck in a boot loop a few hours after setup . . . but one factory reset later and the handset has been chugging along for 24hrs just fine. Really though, most of us bought these handsets sight unseen. The 5X was perhaps less risky as LG has done other Nexus devices, but Huawei? So cheers to everyone who ordered a 6P (or a 5X . . .) if you have your phone congrats . . . if you don't have your phone I hope you get it very soon . . . if you got your phone but are having problems . . . I hope your issues are resolved quickly (and thank you for supporting the product and staying in good spirits).

Oh and thanks to TrekkieMonster for helping me decide on the Frost 6P . . . it's gorgeous!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
activated to Project Fi without a hitch. Transferred my Verizon number in like 30 seconds even though it says it could take 1-2 business days.
How has your coverage/signal quality on Fi compared to your Verizon experience?

I'm still investigating the possibility of switching to Fi; still need a couple of answers about the process.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm still investigating the possibility of switching to Fi; still need a couple of answers about the process.

I haven't done enough testing yet to make a conclusion. So far it works perfectly at my house, but I'm on wifi here. The few times I have gone away from the house I've had full bars of LTE when I've looked at it, but I didn't really use it for anything. The couple of phone calls have worked fine, just like if I was still on Verizon. I know Sprint's LTE network works at my house since an old roommate had Sprint. I'll know more on Monday when I make my 30 minute commute to work through the middle of nowhere Illinois. I live in Rochelle and work in Sycamore, if you wanted to check maps of my coverage situation.

The only issue I'm having is that I've been texting using Hangouts and chose to send via Project Fi, which makes my texts go to other devices with hangouts, too. So messages pop up on my laptop and my old phone that is still on wifi. I'd say 50% of the time I don't get a notification that I got a text on my 6P. It's there, unread, but no notification ever pops up to tell me. Hopefully this is something they improve going forward, regular Hangouts messages have always worked fine across multiple devices for me.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Joining in on the good fortunes of having a great experience with my N6p. Ordered 32gig Silver on a Monday 11-2 and received it on Thurs 11-5. I'm in CA between "somewhere and nowhere" so it really surprised me with FedX quick delivery (our competition). Like some, build quality is perfect. No bulges, nicks, screen is flawless, sound is wonderful (coming from a G5 rear "tinnie"), photos are right up there with i6 in most respects. VZW tower is about 2 miles away and still see almost a 3-4 bars even though N6p has no individual "bars". What really amazes me is Doze. Have not seen any overnight drain with this battery cycle. Nada. Moto X 1st gen with KK was good, LP not so good but this phone with 6.0 is perfect..so far.
Only issue I'm getting use to is size. Moto X was perfect for me. Picked up a used G5 on the cheap just to have that removable battery plus storage if needed and the size also was good. But I think after a couple of weeks I'll get the hang of having to be a little more cautious of pulling out a taller phone. Keep hitting the pwr button. Waiting on a case now but still using this old phone pouch with the flap over the top just barely attaching to the velcro to keep it safe. Oh, for anyone wondering about call quality...this unit sounds excellent with speakerphone or up to the ear and clear reports from the other end.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
.... Keep hitting the pwr button. Waiting on a case now but still using this old phone pouch with the flap over the top just barely attaching to the velcro to keep it safe. Oh, for anyone wondering about call quality...this unit sounds excellent with speakerphone or up to the ear and clear reports from the other end.

Glad you're experience has been good, as well. I'm also waiting for a case and a leather pouch case I've ordered, as well as tempered glass screen protector; so just being extra cautions with it right now. I sure to like it without a case, but know I need some kind of protection, which I why I'm going to try the pouch.

And yeah, my only complaint so far is that, after 2+ years with my LG G2, I'm not used to having any buttons on the side of the device and I keep turning the thing on and off and locking it unintentionally. I'll guess I'll get used to that eventually. ;)

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol...mine is pretty perfect also. The only issue when really examining it is yes that rear area is not super flushed against the metal, no bulge, just looks like its not laser etched against the metal? If that makes sense. When I rub my finger against it I can't feel a thing? I looked at a few pics on line and my phone doesn't look anything like them with that bulge. Screen is beautiful with no yellow spots or dirty spots on a white screen, buttons are nice and tight, and sounds real good audio wise. No OIS but whatever ....I think I will keep it..lol

Posted via the Android Central App

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Update to my previous post. I went to Wal Mart yesterday in my town and I had full LTE outside and dropped to 3G inside. Also noticing my Wifi drop to no "bars" at work briefly once in awhile, not sure why. Maybe this was happening on my 2013 Moto X, too, but it wasn't showing it to me. Never know what they have done to tweak how things are presented. I was expecting my signal strength problems, Verizon is definitely the best around here, so I knew I'd be sacrificing a bit to save money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall