Google Nexus 6P Visual Voicemail on AT&T

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
How can I get this to work with the stock phone app, and not through a 3rd party app? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

rk235

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Visual Voicemail on AT&T

I use Google voice as my voice mail number with att, enabling voicemail display option in voice app will enable visual voicemail in stock phone app.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Well I'm trying to get it to work in the phone app. Apparently it's native in Marshmallow but I can't get it to show up.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Wonder if AT&T need to change something on their end to allow the native app to work with their service.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

From what I Googled T-Mobile and Project Fi are the only carriers to support the native visual voice mail in Marshmallow. I would guess when more AT&T carrier phones start shipping with Marshmallow they will change their VM system.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Is the native app already loaded on a 6P? I've just set up Project Fi today and I haven't figured out how to get VVM without using a 3rd party app.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I use Google voice as my voice mail number with att, enabling voicemail display option in voice app will enable visual voicemail in stock phone app.

I created my Google voice account tonight. Got my voicemail on VZ forwarded to my Google number (see google voice mail setting online under your account). Download google voice app and enable voicemail display option in phone log.

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I have done the same, and I now get voicemail notification in the stock dialer, but there is no visual part, IE the transcription.

Does yours have transcription available in the stock dialer?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to get it to work at all on mine on AT&T. The AT&T app works - but I want it in my stock phone app. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait around for now.

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned, just grab a Google Voice number and redirect ATT voicemail there. GV voicemail then integrates into the phone dialer (and hangouts if you wish). Very slick. Works a charm.

Posted via Nexus 6p

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

I have done the same, and I now get voicemail notification in the stock dialer, but there is no visual part, IE the transcription.

Does yours have transcription available in the stock dialer?
There are a few ways to get the transcript from Google voice, for free.

1. Install the Google Voice App and set it to only voice mail: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en&token=eo3qh5jL
Each time you open the app you'll see all of your voicemails transcribed in there and you can listen to it from there. The cons of it are, the app is a bit outdated and you can only listen to voicemail through the earpiece and you can't easily switch it to speaker phone. If you switch it to speaker phone in the settings, then it will always play through speaker phone. You can still listen to the voicemail through the dialer, it won't affect it there. So you can use the dialer to listen to voicemails and the Google Voice app to read the transcription.

2. In your Google voice settings, go into the General settings and check off the box to email you the transcript or text it to you (or both). You'll get the transcript sent to it the second it's done.

3. Put a shortcut in your Browser on your phone to Google Voice and go online to view them.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The att app works fine for what I need a simple vvm. No need to mess with forwarding etc. Simple is easier for me. I have a Google voice number but have not used it in years, nkt sure it i still have it?

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site

There are a few ways to get the transcript from Google voice, for free.

1. Install the Google Voice App and set it to only voice mail: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en&token=FZGvgLyH
Each time you open the app you'll see all of your voicemails transcribed in there and you can listen to it from there. The cons of it are, the app is a bit outdated and you can only listen to voicemail through the earpiece and you can't easily switch it to speaker phone. If you switch it to speaker phone in the settings, then it will always play through speaker phone. You can still listen to the voicemail through the dialer, it won't affect it there. So you can use the dialer to listen to voicemails and the Google Voice app to read the transcription.

2. In your Google voice settings, go into the General settings and check off the box to email you the transcript or text it to you (or both). You'll get the transcript sent to it the second it's done.

3. Put a shortcut in your Browser on your phone to Google Voice and go online to view them.

my problem is not getting transcription. it works fine, and I receive them in messages.app

my problem is getting transcription from google voice in the stock dialer app. I would like to eliminate the need for two apps to see vvm.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Oh wow ... Yeah I guess you can't with them. I was going to install the T-Mobile VVM app but saw that and said "No reason to" since that works fine.
I guess it's not available on AT&T right now. Which really sucks. I was looking forward to it.