Help Nexus 6P battery life issue

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 6P battery when fully charge at 100% would drain complete gone after 4hrs or less even if I don't use it. It's giving me bad usage time. If my phone is at 32% I will only get 1hr 37min left before it die. It doesn't make sense at all. I notice when it's being charge it gets real hot as well. I use an app and it's telling me the temp is at 107 degree. I fully restore it and still having the same issue. Here some picture of the battery time if anyone can help me out? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Those screenshots didn't post correctly -- can you try again?

I assume you're on Nougat, correct? How's your cell signal in general?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I fully restore it and still having the same issue.
Can you be more specific about this:
Did you flash a new image?
Did you also wipe the system cache?
Did you perform a new setup or restore from backup?

What OS version/build are you running?

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry here the pictures image.pngimage.pngimage.jpgimage.jpg Yes I was on 7.0 i thought it was the issue so I update to the 7.1 beta and it was still the same issue. I thought nougat was giving so much issue so I just downgrade and flash it to 6.01 the same issue. My cell signal is good.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's difficult to say for sure what's going on, because the screenshots you're showing us don't reflect a single battery charge. It looks like you were using it, then charging it partway, then using it again. Charge up to 100%, then use it normally until it's down to 20-30% (without charging again in between), then show us the screenshots again. Also, tap the battery graph so that we see the fullscreen version that shows cell signal strength and awake time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps has anyone else had the same issues, i have encountered in recently , l am looking for a good method to solve this problem , do you have any idea,
Are you having the same problem with battery life as the OP? Give us more information so that we may be able to help.

Op, factory reset and don't reinstall any apps. Charge the phone to 100% and get it down to about 20% without recharging then post screen shots and update us with how things seem.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
First thing, get rid of gsam. That was killing my battery like no tomorrow.
Do you see GSam anywhere in this list?
c801d1fe40501f0846901b2db3b61e1d.jpg
I thought not...

I don't know what the problem was on your configuration, but I have not had a similar problem and I've been using it for years. Perhaps you should contact the developer with some concrete information so that they can investigate.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you see GSam anywhere in this list?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161027/c801d1fe40501f0846901b2db3b61e1d.jpgI thought not...

I don't know what the problem was on your configuration, but I have not had a similar problem and I've been using it for years. Perhaps you should contact the developer with some concrete information so that they can investigate.

Being on nougat it just shows system. However after uninstalling that app, and changing NOTHING else, magically my battery is fine again and I can easily get through a day.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Being on nougat it just shows system.
As you have already seen in the previous screenshot that's not necessarily true - anyone that's familiar with ADB, or interested in learning about it (Google is your friend), can issue a command that provides the full breakdown which you see above on Nougat.

I don't know what problem you were having with GSam, and if you never contact the developer I guess neither will you. There are certainly other similar tools out there which people who are having battery problems can use to help identify the root cause - if you're not happy with this particular one perhaps you could use a different one. Of course, if you're not having problems then there's no need for such a tool.

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I reset the phone to factory. It's running on android 7.0. I charge to 100% and let it run down to 20% here are the screenshots result. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I notice that my headphone jack don't work when I plug in my headphone I don't hear anything. Also when during a phone call I would put the caller on speakerphone and the mic don't work the other person on the other line can't hear me but I can hear them. If speakerphone is off the mic work.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I reset the phone to factory. It's running on android 7.0. I charge to 100% and let it run down to 20% here are the screenshots result.
The screenshots that are most useful are the History details and the Screen on time; you could forgo the others next time.

There are a couple of important things to note in the History details which are definitely affecting your battery life:
1. Your cellular signal for almost the whole run is marginal (all that yellow) - even if you have a WiFi connection (as you did for much of the time) you're still burning extra power to try to maintain the cellular connection
2. There's definitely something keeping the phone awake more than it should be, which contributes to your poor battery life for this run (just look at the Awake line compared to the Screen on line - they should be almost identical)

You really need to do some further investigation to determine what's causing #2 since you probably can't do much about #1 (unless you were at home for most of that time, in which case you could contact your carrier about getting a network extender). I'd suggest rebooting into Safe mode after fully charging the device and letting it sit overnight while you sleep (unless you're a vampire, in which case let it sit during the day while you sleep ) - this will provide a good idea if it's one or more 3rd party apps causing your awake issues.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I notice that my headphone jack don't work when I plug in my headphone I don't hear anything. Also when during a phone call I would put the caller on speakerphone and the mic don't work the other person on the other line can't hear me but I can hear them. If speakerphone is off the mic work.
Sure sounds like there's a problem with the headphone jack. I assume you've tried more than one pair of headphones? Have you tried blowing the jack out with compressed air to make sure there's no fluff in there?

You should also boot into Safe mode just to be sure that no 3rd party software is causing your issue.

When you put people on speakerphone is the phone laying flat on a surface or is it propped up on something? Just want to be sure the mic on the back of the phone isn't blocked.

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Yea I am gonna give that a try and boot it in safe mode see if battery is draining fast. I am not sure which app would cause it to stay awake and drain the battery because I factory reset it without downloading any new app.

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Sure sounds like there's a problem with the headphone jack. I assume you've tried more than one pair of headphones? Have you tried blowing the jack out with compressed air to make sure there's no fluff in there?

You should also boot into Safe mode just to be sure that no 3rd party software is causing your issue.

When you put people on speakerphone is the phone laying flat on a surface or is it propped up on something? Just want to be sure the mic on the back of the phone isn't blocked.
I try with different headphone still the same and I haven't use a compressor yet to blow it out. I will give that a try. When it's in speakerphone I am actually holding the phone up to make sure the mic it's not block and speaking directly into the mic just below the camera. No result other callers still can't hear me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I've been having increased battery drain lately on my 6P running 7.0. Only get around 2 hrs of SOT with moderate use before I'm down to around 30-40%. Phone seems to be kept awake more than it should (often for long stretches when the screen is off). I've been wondering if it's because I've been on a trip to Taiwan and Japan (roaming with T-Mobile with their free 2G data, and with wi-fi calling always on since it's free calls back to the US when using wi-fi). I'll have to see how things are when I get back.

If this is a 7.0 bug, I sure hope they fix it in 7.1!

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I charge it to 100% last night at around 1:25 and boot it in safe mode. I let it sit and woke up in the morning around 6:30, it was at 88%. Is that normal to drain about 12% without running anything in 5hrs?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty