Battery death

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I was looking through the phones' settings (Settings DB editor), and noticed the "low_power_threshold" is a value, set to "15%", on my 6P (and recalled reading this thread).
I'd have to root (at least I'm pretty sure) to change it, but at least this gives some insight into the problem at the 15% threshold, and why things get so wonky at that point.
I bet you could change this to something more "reasonable", say 8-10%
Obviously you don't want to go to the very bottom, unless it's an emergency or similar, most current battery chemistry simply doesn't do well with being fully, or near-fully depleted.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
RMA'd my phone through the insurance program. Solid battery life again. I'll probably sell it when I get the S8+ on the 21st though.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Finally had enough with my phone lastly only 2.5 hours a day and called Google who connected me with Assurant who the Nexus Protect is managed through. Paid $79 deductable for a new phone for my wife and myself.

neodoc427

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
After reading this entire thread, I wanted to comment about my experience. For some unexplained reason, about three weeks ago, my Nexus 6P started consuming its battery in just a few hours after starting out with a full charge. This was without any significant change in use pattern and no new apps. I looked through the battery use chart and it said that Google Services was responsible for over 40% of battery consumption. The phone started getting very hot as well. I called Google and was told to restart the phone in Safe Mode to see if it was an app that was consuming the battery. The heat and consumption stopped, but resumed once the phone was restarted back to normal operating mode. I called Google once again and was told they would make an "exception" and replace my phone with a refurbished one. I tried to get them to replace it with a new one, but they insisted that the refurbished phones have been thoroughly tested and that they could not replace it with a new one. After too much back and forth, including a cancelled order of which I was never notified, the new order was placed for the replacement phone. However, miraculously, the phone fixed itself. It no longer gets hot and the battery is lasting the entire day as it was prior to this event. The only little glitch I see is that on several occasions, while typing a message on a text, the phone will freeze momentarily during typing. I'm wondering if I should accept the refurbished phone or just keep my now functioning Nexus 6P. I'd hate to end up with a phone that's worse than the one I have that's only a little over a year old, not to mention the hassle of reinstalling everything on the "new" one. Any thoughts?

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I'd go with the refurb phone if I were you. It will have been fully tested and will carry a 12 month warranty. I don't suppose there are new ones to be had, even by Google.

neodoc427

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion. I was leaning towards accepting the refurb phone only because of the new freezing problem that's been happening since the overheating started. I suspect that the poverheating and battery drain problem may have been from 7.1.1 because after I did an update last Thursday to 7.1.2, miraculously, the battery drain problem and overheating stopped. By then, though, I had already ordered the replacement phone, so it's all good. It should arrive in the next few days. We'll see. Worst case scenario, I use Assurant and get a new phone altogether.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Those are 'full' charge cycles. As was said, a partial charge is harder to judge.

But with battery tech being used now, following best practices is more important than ever. Try to avoid deep discharge cycles (100% - under 20% and back), leaving a fully charged phone on the charger for extended periods... Those are the two easiest ones to follow.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to get feedback from people familiar with Accubattery.

Is it normal for battery health stats to improve on Accubattery? The secondhand 6P I bought recently from Amazon had originally been diagnosed at 64% health by the AccuB app. About 2 weeks later, it was showing up at 60% health, which spooked me into contacting Amazon and managing to get a 20% discount off of the price of the phone. I also bought a new battery on Ebay, and put a new gold back into my Amazon shopping cart just in case.

Two days after calling Amazon, Accubattery gives the battery a 70% rating. Two days after that, the health rating is now up to 74%! Seriously, is this credible?

One more hard-to-swallow fact-let: I flashed the March Android O dev preview on the phone, the same weekend that I called Amazon. The phone is now running the new beta preview that was just released Wednesday afternoon (5/17). Do I contact Google and give them ad copy for Android O, or what?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it normal for battery health stats to improve on Accubattery?
I would expect some variation for the first month or two but after awhile it should settle out and remain pretty steady. Mine has been around 85% for the last year (and the daily battery life seems pretty consistent).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal for battery health stats to improve on Accubattery?

Well, the estimate does improve over time. I suppose that if the battery is fairly worn, there might be a fair amount of volatility in it, but 15 points is a bunch.

That battery is really worn BTW... the original owner must have abused the hell out of it.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
That battery is really worn BTW... the original owner must have abused the hell out of it.
No kidding. I have a replacement battery at the ready just in case this thing nosedives. For now, though, it's holding steady at 74%. As long as it doesn't explode, I'm good. Sorta.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
My battery started going bonkers a couple of weeks ago, losing like half of the charge overnight. The Android O beta has fixed that, it seems.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Interesting.

I've been slowly "de-tuning" my 6P, since 7.12 seems to have really gone downhill in this area (really since 7.10, steadily, 7.11-7.12 is much worse for WiFi, IME).
I've slowly been "de-featuring" my phone to match, disabling Bluetooth except when I really need it, then WiFi, now background data for almost everything, so that I have battery for everyday use. On 6.01-7.11 I had my background WiFi "always enabled", no problem, but now that drains a good deal of my battery nightly(7.12), so I have it on "only when charging", which is way less than optimal.
Maybe my battery is going bad, although I've only had my 6P for about 8 months, charged mostly daily, which doesn't seem like nearly "life".

After my 7.1 Beta experience (I'm a long, long time WinPhone Beta guy, experimented with moving some simple apps over, etc) being so terrible, with regards to Bluetooth, I'm a bit "shy" about moving to "O", before it's gone some mileage on a breadth of people/devices/apps.
This may turn me though, I'd really like to go back to just enabling the stuff I use, and not worry about turning everything back on, explicitly as-needed.

Anyone else having a similar experience(s)? How about the latter?
Anonne, do you have any kind of hard data, over a number of days, showing the improvements? Do you have most of your radios enabled?

Thanks, for any info from anyone here...

eastlawyers1

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Woo, Bro, I guess this battery is second-hand. I see some news about factories using the old battery and reproduce and then put in in the new phone. you'd better change a new one.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Not sure I follow, do you mean there was a case of a bad batch of batteries?

My phone was pretty flawless on MM, for maybe 6 weeks or so initially. Then it was "ok" on 7.0 and 7.1, and really took a BIG downturn on 7.11-7.12.
It's still usable, if I'm cognizant about disabling/enabling various radios (is there a better app for an all-off/on out there?), I can typically get a decent day, it's just a pain.
For example, my Subaru doesn't work very well if I enable the Bluetooth radio after it's been started, I seem to have maybe a 25% chance of connecting in that scenario, vs 95% or so, if it's active before I start the car. I've had some "interesting" stops at an intersection, where I thought the light would take a bit longer, while I "reboot" my cars' system, via the ignition switch.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and other, and mechanics (I've rebuilt numerous engines and tons of bicycles from ground-up, etc), but I've watched the video for replacing the battery on the 6P, it's got some serious pitfalls, if you ask me, I think IFixIt rated it a 7 or 8 (of 10).
That's assuming you can source a good battery too, I tried Google support, they weren't exactly helpful, they didn't have a great way to buy one, but said I could exchange for a refurb. device, which I'm hesitant about (particularly since I'm not all that convinced it's really my hardware).

I did run a battery-cell test, "Repair Battery Life", which gets high-marks in the store (both numbers and quantity of ratings), and it did a cell-cell eval, saying that everything was good (obviously I don't have a great way to verify), taking maybe 5 minutes of checks to do so.

It seems like my best path might just be the one I'm on, and wait for "O" to get a bit more stable, before I take the plunge...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I did run a battery-cell test, "Repair Battery Life", which gets high-marks in the store (both numbers and quantity of ratings), and it did a cell-cell eval, saying that everything was good (obviously I don't have a great way to verify), taking maybe 5 minutes of checks to do so.
Repair Battery Life PRO https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....batterycare.batterycarerepair&token=CybJ9uYm seems like a bunch of hogwash to me. There's no technical information provided about how the application works, what it does, etc. This isn't a storage device, where you can reformat it, mark bad blocks, etc. I highly doubt there's any value in it.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, GSDer, I tend to agree, I couldn't find any API that would provide a cell-by-cell battery status too.
I'm VERY open to any other tools that are more promising, and verifiable.

Also, it's not like Google is offering up solutions, a "tool" of their own, or an acknowledgement that 7.12 has some issues on the 6P.
They also don't seem to have a solution on how to get a replacement battery, so what's a user to do, it's sort of a dead-end, which is discouraging, on an 8 month-old, pricey, device.

I sort of debate on trying to go back to MM, but I'm not sure if I'd get security patches, even if I could revert, since they probably deprecated this branch for the 6P?

I did test it last night though, all radios except my cell off, 8 hours of non-use only drained 4%, so truly if I disable everything, consistently, I seem to get a much better battery outcome, even though it hampers actual device use...

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, GSDer, I tend to agree, I couldn't find any API that would provide a cell-by-cell battery status too.
I'm VERY open to any other tools that are more promising, and verifiable.

Also, it's not like Google is offering up solutions, a "tool" of their own, or an acknowledgement that 7.12 has some issues on the 6P.
They also don't seem to have a solution on how to get a replacement battery, so what's a user to do, it's sort of a dead-end, which is discouraging, on an 8 month-old, pricey, device.

I sort of debate on trying to go back to MM, but I'm not sure if I'd get security patches, even if I could revert, since they probably deprecated this branch for the 6P?

I did test it last night though, all radios except my cell off, 8 hours of non-use only drained 4%, so truly if I disable everything, consistently, I seem to get a much better battery outcome, even though it hampers actual device use...

I will report back after my test (currently have location -high accuracy, wifi & bluetooth on, cell signal at home is usually between -104 & -114 dBm) on Verizon. I was going to do this last night but I have had an issue not related to O, so did a FDR this morning (am old/retired with nothing better to do).

Here is an XDA thread about 6p & "O" - "Nexus 6P and Android O Developer Preview"

Last edited:

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So finally I was so frustrated with terrible battery life and the shut down issue under 60% that I called Google. I do not have the device coverage and I bought it when they first went up for pre-order. I was hoping for at best a replacement. Well I guess they were out of refurbs so they said that I can send my phone in for a full refund. Very happy about that. It'll cover my cost of the next pixel, but I'm still a little bummed as I really liked this phone. I wonder if they started getting worried at all about the class action lawsuit that they are just taking care of everyone that calls with the issue

edv713

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I doubt they care. I just spoke to a google rep and even mentioned the lawsuit and she didn't offer any solution but to take it to a phone shop for a new battery.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the extended warranty on the 6P which covers the battery. I just received a replacement phone which is a refurb but according to Accubattery the battery looks much better (it's showing 125% under health vs 40% of my original 6P). They charged me $89 which is the deductible on the policy. Hopefully the replacement will last until the Pixel 2 XL comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non