OnePlus 3 T-1 - The just said "Never Settle" again. Why?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
All I know is the display is not 4K, so no VR is recommended for this phone. I don't think I'll use VR anytime in the near future, find that more gimmicky than anything else, the younger crowd will probably disagree with me, but:

1. Is the display really that bad besides not being 4K?
  2. Are there any other issues the 3T display does not fulfill?

I think you mean quad HD. There aren't any 4K phones except that one Sony phone that doesn't really exist any more.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes there are many differences. And resolution alone isn't an issue; it's a matter of how it's implemented relative to display size.

Many differences? That's what I'm trying to get to, can't find anything except for the display. Please go ahead and explain it to me brotha.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
He won't because he cant.

I hadn't yet because of lack of time and because anyone can look at a spec sheet and see what is different... but it seems as if you are implying that it's impossible for me or anyone else to be aware of any differences between the 5" Pixel and the 5.5" OnePlus 3T... Obviously, other than the display resolution, display quality, battery size, physical size, software, security, design, network options, software version, software features, storage options, USB C data implementation, USB C charging implementation, DayDream compatibility, seamless updates, purchase options, etc, etc. That's at least a dozen differences, all but one (battery size) of which are either neutral (design is subjective, physical size is subjective) or are more favorable on the Pixel (everything else listed).

If you want to, perhaps you clarify what you mean if it wasn't that we shouldn't be able to discern any differences? Or if you wanted to, you could go troll someone else, somewhere else.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus 3 T-1 ad on Twitter uses the phrase "T-1: More Never Settle".

Why do they keep saying, "Never Settle" when there's a giant list of things you have to "settle" for on every single device, including OnePlus devices, which have more things to settle on that most of the devices we talk about here?

If they got rid of that phrase and started marketing it as, "one of the best values around" I'd probably be one of their biggest supporters. As it is, every single year it comes off as a huge lie where a bunch of people will try to pretend that it's the best phone out there, not just one of the best values out there. So annoying.

I kind of agree with this.

The marketing for this phone doesn't make the most sense.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So the five things that make me not want it are specific preferences of mine? There are actually 15 line item preferences of mine that it fails at... Guess I should have listed them all? The biggest clue that you didn't understand what I was saying was that you referred to it twice as "salty" and assumed I'd disregard the other issues if it were available on Verizon. I wouldn't. It's a midrange device because it's a midrange device, regardless of their choice to ignore half the population of this market.

And as I've often said, including in the post you quoted, most people don't have the same preferences as I do and I know that and there's no reason that my preference should influence theirs. I sincerely said I was glad that someone else liked it and detailed some of the reasons that it's not for me. That's just us sharing our opinions, but rather than share yours, you engaged in a totally different manner than the discussion we were having, including misrepresentation of both the device features and my statements about them.

The screen is objectively bad; the software and software support and security and upgrade speed and timing are all objectively worse than my other devices; the charger is objectively different than the standards for USB-C data and charging functionality, etc. Then the on screen vs off screen buttons is a choice, etc. It's easy to follow which things are measurable and which things are a personal preference.

If you want to engage with the points I'm actually making rather than your strawman version of them, then I'd ask that you make an effort to accurately represent my intentions within those points throughout your rebuttals. Otherwise you're arguing with yourself and yet quoting me ... and that makes it difficult to figure out what you're arguing for or against.
How is the screen objectively bad? Anandtech had said it was one of the best, and showed it to be objectively one of the best. And in terms of PPI the Google pixel is only 10% higher.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I hadn't yet because of lack of time and because anyone can look at a spec sheet and see what is different... but it seems as if you are implying that it's impossible for me or anyone else to be aware of any differences between the 5" Pixel and the 5.5" OnePlus 3T... Obviously, other than the display resolution, display quality, battery size, physical size, software, security, design, network options, software version, software features, storage options, USB C data implementation, USB C charging implementation, DayDream compatibility, seamless updates, purchase options, etc, etc. That's at least a dozen differences, all but one (battery size) of which are either neutral (design is subjective, physical size is subjective) or are more favorable on the Pixel (everything else listed).

If you want to, perhaps you clarify what you mean if it wasn't that we shouldn't be able to discern any differences? Or if you wanted to, you could go troll someone else, somewhere else.
Correction:
The resolution is the same between the pixel and 3T
The battery size on the 3T is only 50mah less than the pixel xl despite being significantly smaller.
The charging solution is better on the 3T
The screen to body ratio is better on the 3T.
Storage options are better on the 3T, since it has a 64gb version over 32gb.
The body is better quality on the 3T, as it doesn't have glass on the back. And the camera has sapphire glass.

The only real benefits to the pixel are software support and camera, and only the latter is actually regarded as a flagship feature. Where the 3T is actually pretty good, and according to Mr Mobile has a better front facing camera.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Correction:
The resolution is the same between the pixel and 3T
The battery size on the 3T is only 50mah less than the pixel xl despite being significantly smaller.
The charging solution is better on the 3T
The screen to body ratio is better on the 3T.
Storage options are better on the 3T, since it has a 64gb version over 32gb.
The body is better quality on the 3T, as it doesn't have glass on the back. And the camera has sapphire glass.

The only real benefits to the pixel are software support and camera, and only the latter is actually regarded as a flagship feature. Where the 3T is actually pretty good, and according to Mr Mobile has a better front facing camera.
Point of the post you're quoting is that these things are different, not that a person cannot like one over the other. The person I was quoting for some reason stated that there are no differences.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How is the screen objectively bad? Anandtech had said it was one of the best, and showed it to be objectively one of the best. And in terms of PPI the Google pixel is only 10% higher.
They fixed the color accuracy with their sRGB mode, they can't fix the 5.4" pentile configuration, which was pointed out by. Anand as being a very poor decision. There were two major problem, one which will be solved only for tech nerds who know what developer options are and go looking for sRGB mode.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Seriously why is this a thread? Who the heck cares? It's a slogan.
Because OnePlus keeps putting out devices that are less than the best and then saying, "Never Settle"? Which, if you buy any device, especially a OP device, you are settling.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
They fixed the color accuracy with their sRGB mode, they can't fix the 5.4" pentile configuration, which was pointed out by. Anand as being a very poor decision. There were two major problem, one which will be solved only for tech nerds who know what developer options are and go looking for sRGB mode.
Like I said, the PPI of the smaller pixel is only 10% higher, so I don't think there is such a big difference there that you can discretely determine that 440ppi is flagship while 400ppi is midrange. Meanwhile, the 3T has an objectively more accurate display than the pixel. The pixel's sRGB mode is also hidden in the developer options too.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, the PPI of the smaller pixel is only 10% higher, so I don't think there is such a big difference there that you can discretely determine that 440ppi is flagship while 400ppi is midrange. Meanwhile, the 3T has an objectively more accurate display than the pixel. The pixel's sRGB mode is also hidden in the developer options too.

I think you're tying one bad feature to the midrange or flagship status of the OP3/T and I'm not doing that, I'm using that as one example of the compromises. The explanation from Anand on the pentile display relative to the display size (and thus PPI) is relevant, not just the PPI itself. And the sRGB mode, regardless of where it is, was one of two issues with the display that was fixed. The point was that the other issue remains outstanding, not that both were still bad.

To be completely clear, once again, I am not saying the OP3 or OP3T is a bad device - I'm saying it is not the best device out there. Good device + low price = great value, but it does not = best device available.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Because OnePlus keeps putting out devices that are less than the best and then saying, "Never Settle"? Which, if you buy any device, especially a OP device, you are settling.

Tell me ONE device that is perfect and your thread would then make sense. Unfortunately there is no perfect phone so you WILL be settling no matter what you buy.
You think Subways "eat fresh" is because it's really fresh? HA!
Maybe it should be "eat lots of preservatives"
And OP could be "almost as good as phones double the cost"

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tell me ONE device that is perfect and your thread would then make sense. Unfortunately there is no perfect phone so you WILL be settling no matter what you buy.
You think Subways "eat fresh" is because it's really fresh? HA!
Maybe it should be "eat lots of preservatives"
And OP could be "almost as good as phones double the cost"

Correct, I would object to any company saying, "Never Settle" for precisely that reason - and I think I said that all devices compromise in the thread a couple of times, but I'd be less annoyed were it an established industry leader making that claim on their flagship device.

If the Note 7, other than that pesky battery issue, had said, "Never Settle" it would be MUCH more difficult to be frustrated with their claim because they were either in the lead or neck and neck with the lead on very close to every objective feature that you could name and, from a subjective sense, it seemed to be an incredibly popular design.

If the iPhone 7+ said, "Never Settle", I'd laugh a little because they do a lot of compromising as well, but they do have one of the most popular devices out there and some of their hardware is top notch.

The OP3 simply isn't in that league, but it absolutely is trying to brush up against the ceiling and is definitely much cheaper, and so for most consumers that aren't obsessed with "best", it will likely be an excellent deal.

Now, if there was an implied connotation that they're saying "midrange devices don't have to come with terrible specs" as an argument for purchasing the OP3 over the WhateverNoName$400device that has a SD615, 2 GB RAM and 4 GB of internal storage - absolutely, all day this is hands down better. Both absolutely and relatively to that class of devices - however that class has fallen away and the competition in the midrange is much more steep - with the Axon 7 and others trying their hands at "damn near a flagship but half the price" market.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
And yet you're still settling with the Axon 7..like software.
Congratulations for keeping the thread going but I'm sorry i have yet to see your point or the purpose of this. Just my opinion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And yet you're still settling with the Axon 7..like software.
Congratulations for keeping the thread going but I'm sorry i have yet to see your point or the purpose of this. Just my opinion.

Right, I was saying the Axon 7 is very similar to the OP3.