Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JerryScript
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Default Insufficient Space market error

This is really irking me. How exactly can I fix it? I am running Jerry's 9/28 build, and everytime I try to update, download, or install an app from the market, I get the error. I definetely have enough space on my phone, most (actually, I think all except for Widgets) are on the SD Card, most were restored from TB. Now, however, I can't download apps at all. "The Package file is Invalid" is also another common one. Someone told me to clear out the cache with root explorer, but I can't download it, and ended up having to sideload it (don't worry, I'll pay for when I get it fixed.) What exactly can I clear out, and what should I do to fix it? I don't need a step by step (although it would be nice), but just alhow to fix it would be nice. Thanks!

P.S. lovin' the ROM Jerry!

Sent from my IHO CM7.1'd Optimus V using Tapatalk

I'm glad there's a topic dedicated to this issue. I had it a while back but then it went away after flashing an iho update. There doesn't seem to be clear explanation of why this happens or what the true fix is.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Yeah, I have seen a lot of people with this problem. I figure once I can get a solid way to fix it I'll make a post about it here and on XDA on how to do it.

Sent from my CM7'd NookColor using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Insufficient Space market error

i got this error too on Harmonia 1.3+, so i downgraded to harmonia 1.2 because this is the last version not messing with the signing (power button mod and Time without signal fix are not icluded in this version)

So now I can use the latest android market version and I never got this problem ever again
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Yeah, but I kinda didn't want to reflash an entire ROM, plus I really like cyanogenmod.

Is everyone that's having/had this problem people that have restored apps or not wiping something ??

Quote Originally Posted by asadullah View Post
    Is everyone that's having/had this problem people that have restored apps or not wiping something ??
    I've had it happen in both situations. The most recent was when I started from scratch with the exception of a couple apps I downloaded from xda whichever i restored.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Yeah I restored all my apps, but I'm positive I wiped everything.

Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

The issue is caused by CM's method to increase internal storage. The 01mvdalvik file moves the dalvik cache to the same partition as app data, and the Market then thinks there is no space left for downloading the apk, regardless if there is space for installing it.

Here's one method to fix the issue, though I prefer the method two I list down lower.

Method 1-

- Using a root file manager like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer, move the following file to your sdcard:
    /system/etc/init.d/01mvdalvik
    - From the homescreen, press the menu key and select Manage Applications, then select the All tab
    - Scroll down to the Market app, and click on it, then clear market data and cache, MUST DO BOTH
    - Reboot into recovery, then wipe cache, and under advanced wipe dalvik cache
    - Reboot, and then sign back into the Market, and you should now be able to download again
    (note- this lowers the amount of internal storage, but so long as you move most apps to the sdcard, it shouldn't be an issue)

Method 2-

- Download and install Titanium Backup or a similar app from the Market
    - Go through your app drawer icon by icon, write down a list of which apps you haven't used in a week
    - Open Titanium Backup and do a complete backup
    - Once the backup is done, go through your list of apps you haven't used in a week, and uninstall them
    - When the time comes that you do need to use one of these rarely used apps, open Titanium Backup and restore it
    - When finished using it, back it up to be sure any new data from this session is saved, then uninstall it

It only takes about 30 seconds to restore any app with Titanium Backup, and let's face it, we all have tons of apps we rarely use. This method will give you tons of space, virtually unlimited, and ensure that you never have those stupid market errors again!
    Thanked by 4:
    bdieu17 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Wow, thanks Jerry, I'll definitely be trying the 2nd method tomorrow. You are right, out of my 120 apps, I probably use like 25-30 of them weekly. Thanks!

Sent from my IHO CM7.1'd Optimus V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Here's another method I used when I was having this issue with BACKside... it basically points the market download cache to your SD card, via a symlink:

In terminal emulator (start from app drawer):

mkdir /mnt/sdcard/market-download-cache
    su
    cd /cache
    mv download download.bak
    ln -s /mnt/sdcard/market-download-cache download
    ls -ahl

(last command should show the symlink in the listing)
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2.03 and CM 10

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    The issue is caused by CM's method to increase internal storage. The 01mvdalvik file moves the dalvik cache to the same partition as app data, and the Market then thinks there is no space left for downloading the apk, regardless if there is space for installing it.

Here's one method to fix the issue, though I prefer the method two I list down lower.

Method 1-

- Using a root file manager like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer, move the following file to your sdcard:
    - From the homescreen, press the menu key and select Manage Applications, then select the All tab
    - Scroll down to the Market app, and click on it, then clear market data and cache, MUST DO BOTH
    - Reboot, and then sign back into the Market, and you should now be able to download again
    (note- this lowers the amount of internal storage, but so long as you move most apps to the sdcard, it shouldn't be an issue)
    It only takes about 30 seconds to restore any app with Titanium Backup, and let's face it, we all have tons of apps we rarely use. This method will give you tons of space, virtually unlimited, and ensure that you never have those stupid market errors again!
    If you are using method 1, and using ES File Explorer, after granting root access fro ES File Explorer, you must press and hold the 'blue star' on the left of the file manager to get to the 'root' '/' of the phone.
    Took me a bit of different button presses, as the ES File Explorer help file said to 'long press home', but I couldn't find where to press.

(edit: I just did this method yesterday and was able to then update my apps with no problem, thank you!)
    Last edited by faheyd; 10-27-2011 at 03:09 PM.

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

Method 1-

Method 2-

- Download and install Titanium Backup or a similar app from the Market
    - Go through your app drawer icon by icon, write down a list of which apps you haven't used in a week
    - Open Titanium Backup and do a complete backup
    - Once the backup is done, go through your list of apps you haven't used in a week, and uninstall them
    - When the time comes that you do need to use one of these rarely used apps, open Titanium Backup and restore it
    - When finished using it, back it up to be sure any new data from this session is saved, then uninstall it

I've never run into this, probably because I removed a lot of /system/app/ files that came with the default CM7 install, so that partition has more space available.

My question is what is the purpose of method 1, step 1? Why not just remove that 01mdalvik cache instead of moving it? Does Android automatically know that it's been moved to the sdcard and start using it there?
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    I've never run into this, probably because I removed a lot of /system/app/ files that came with the default CM7 install, so that partition has more space available.

My question is what is the purpose of method 1, step 1? Why not just remove that 01mdalvik cache instead of moving it? Does Android automatically know that it's been moved to the sdcard and start using it there?
    I rarely delete a file till I'm sure the file is the issue. So I recommend people do the same thing. Backups can be a lifesaver, or at least a sanity saver!

Method 1-

OK well I favor method 1 since I already got rid of unwanted apps already. My question is how do you move the 01mvdalvik file everytime I try it says I don't have permission to move it? Geez I thought I was a "super user"? I'm the cautions type so I would like to have a copy BEFORE deleting stuff!
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by stu310 View Post
    OK well I favor method 1 since I already got rid of unwanted apps already. My question is how do you move the 01mvdalvik file everytime I try it says I don't have permission to move it? Geez I thought I was a "super user"? I'm the cautions type so I would like to have a copy BEFORE deleting stuff!
    You are a super user, but your apps are not until you tell them to be. You need to use a root capable file manager (Root Explorer, ES File Manager, ect), and set it's settings for root access, and R/W (read/write). Each file manager does this differently, so see their help files/pages for details.

You need to use a root capable file manager
    I was trying to use the File Manager that the Rom added. I thought if they added it to the apps it would do the same thing? I guess not,Uh.