So lost, please help. (installing ROM)

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I used gingersnap to root my phone, got Rom Manager Titanium backup and so forth. I downloaded aospCMod-VM670-20110601 from media fire and i made a backup then put it on my SD card.

Then i went in ROm manager, then selected install form SD and chose the rom, The whole process started where it rebooted and went through the flash process or whatever.

at some point there was a sd-ext error or something in the text idk if thats important, but the install completed then the phone rebooted.

The VM loading screen was gone and i made it all the way to the android logo and got frozen. Thank god i figurd out how to recover so now im back to where i started before trying to install the ROM.

What am i doing wrong? Do i need this "gapps" file tha time reading about around the net?

please help, and thanks.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I found this guide here, http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-zefies-cm7-optimus-v-current-03012011-a.html for the Zefie's mod, but it says there are problems sending MMS, and i cant have that since i primarily use my phone to reply to my girlfriends texts while shes at work and if i cant text her i get my ass chewed out... >.>

Im just sick of Froyo, and using GO Launcher and all of the other apps to change the theme just take up way too much memory...

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Let me direct you here. Go to the link and go down to the Flashing Custom ROM. You should follow those instructions carefully. Have a good day :D

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Should i use this IHO CM7 file that this page has a link to? or should i try using the previously stated file, also do i just skip to step 6 or so

Forget the last part, just used my brain and re-read what you said to do, ha

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary

download BACKside IHO (its a cm7 rom for the optimus V.) also, download gapps (its on that page somewhere too) put them all on the SD card. do NOT unzip them and do NOT rename them

its way newer than than AOSPCMod7. i dont even know how you found that... its so old, half the features dont even work in it.

you need to wipe everything from inside the recovery, first is to wipe system then cache, then you go in the "advanced" menu and wipe dalvik cache, then press back key and at the main menu choose "install zip from sd card"

find iho BACKside, flash it like you did with aospCMod7. let it finish.

now when its done, go back to install zip from sd card, and choose the gapps file. flash this right after you flash the rom itself. if you try to reboot and flash it later, it will fail and the rom wont work correctly.

once gapps is flashed, you can boot into the rom and set it up like you would set up a fresh android phone.

sign into google, start syncing email, contacts, start downloading apps, all that stuff.

I personally dont use titanium backup to restore apps becuase it always caused problems and I had to reflash the rom to fix it, but others had success so give it a try to save your app data.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Now, is all of this to be done from startup in clockwork recovery menu? also, the Backside file your talking about, just to clarify, probably unecesarry, the one i should get is by "JerryScript" correct? i only ask because its just labeled as Backside, doesnt say anything about being IHO

ok back on track, so if this is all done from the recovery screen on startup, after each task of flashing is completed, it keeps me in the recovery and so forth so i can do each in succession, like. the phone wont just reboot after i flash the Backside zip before i have the chance to do the gapps file?

Sorry, if im having issues, this would be my first time trying to do any of this and im suprised how easy it was to root this phone, let alone figure out on my own how to recovery from my semi-brick state after my first failure.

Also, does it matter what version of GAPPS i use, if not can i use the one on the site given by gannon, cause the binary site doesnt have any links

To clarify, i used the Rom Manager APP to attempt to flash the AOSPmod in the begining, so i did it from the Froyo OS, then it rebooted and so forth.

I notice that i can download GAAPS file through Rom Manager, but when i try to test it to see what it does, it just wants to flash, it wont let me just save the file, so im guessing i need to have the file in the same folder as the Backside file, right? ha.. sorry.

Last edited:

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
After much thought and re reading i think ive answered most of my questions except for which GAPPS to use, im just going to pull it off of the link gannon sent me, and give it a go.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, worked beautifully. I almost screwed up, i installed accidentally skipped the "clear dalvik cache" before i installed both zips, i just started over before rebooting and it worked.

only problem i had so far was the status bar wasnt showing, but that just fixed itself while typing this.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow, everything is so much faster... shame on VM for not updating their crap... would of been something to keep me happy for a long time.

glad you got it figured out.

I should have mentioend which gapps to grab, my bad. the first link has a table with download links showing which gapps to download, the CM7 portion of the table has only one file, figured itd be easy enough, but i was wrong :p

also, IHO is just the name given to these builds, these arent "official" cyanogenmod 7 roms, people take the CM source, combine it with software to make it work on the OV, and release it under whatever name they want to call it.

jerryscript calls his build "BACKside" and these are all variants of IHO, or "Inferior Human Organs" a port of CM7

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Glad you like it :D now have a happy rooting life. I would follow this forum and this one a lot to keep up to date. Also if you haven't figured out all ready here is the official binary for all IHO ROMs. Just click on the date to be directed towards a download page. I happen to use the MiRaGe ROM by mrg666 because Jerry's ROM gives me a lot of bugs for some reason.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I havent had any issues with the IHO backside yet, just a litle slow at learning all the options for it, being that i just learned to root and rom anyhow.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The only thing you need to worry about in performance settings is the Set On Boot feature in CPU Settings. Don't check that box if you are attempting to overclock above 748 until you have been able to use every feature of your phone at that clock speed without your phone crashing.

Safest way to find your safe overclock speed is to push it up one notch at a time, then try using the camera/video-recorder. If it doesn't crash, push it up another notch. Once it does crash, when you reboot, move the overclock down two notches, and then you can safely check the Set On Boot option. ;)

Reactions: rukin5197