1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    aospCMOD Android 2.3.4

Default Rooted but can't install custom recovery!

Ok, I've tried everything to root my Optimus V and I finally got root after using Gingersnap.

Now im trying to install a custom recovery but ROMtools wont's work. I tried to install the SunJDK at the root of my pc and that doesn't work either. (When I install it in program files the Android SDK app did not recognize it)

What do you recommend I do?

*Can I install the custom recovery from my phone? If so can someone guide me through?*
    Last edited by MrMACHOMAN86; 06-18-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

If you have root, this works from inside the phone.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...very-easy.html

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    aospCMOD Android 2.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    If you have root, this works from inside the phone.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...very-easy.html
    I did what you instructed, didn't work. So I scrolled down to Picasticks post and typed
    find / -name flash_image into my phone only to get
    find: not found.

So I followed his other commands to get cp not found.

Now I think I have to install busybox, can I do this from my phone.

EDIT: I solved it!!

*I want to kill myself lol, I cant root this Optimus V, but I rooted my other one with no problem!*
    Last edited by MrMACHOMAN86; 06-19-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Default Re: Rooted but can't install custom recovery!

im having the same problemmm...i installed custom recovery to my old optimus v with no problem then i got a replacement phone and i cant install custom recovery menu...i rooted my replacement phone using gingerbreak..does any one know why this is happening??? i even tried using rom manager from the app market to install custom recovery but wasen able to install the recovery..i also tried the super one click n nothing

I am experiencing the same problem. I have rooted my phone and I can't install the custom recovery I tried flashing it and install it with RomTools and still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same here. Can't install using terminal emulator. Says "not found " when typing the recovery name. I installed it to root of my SD card and followed step by step but can't flash it this way. No idea. Using Jerry Scripts iho latest Backside Rom.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    SAMLOKA

I ran into this issue with my recent OV i got. I figured out that I was missing the flash_image file... so just a recap . theres TWO files that you need in order to flash the recovery. Thats the flash_image file and the actual recovery ZIP... Also, if you make a mistake ( on terminal emu ) then I would recommend to start over from the top!
    Thanked by:
    Banned

ROM
    Reflash Miui every2-3days

Or Flash Image GUI.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousNoob View Post
    Or Flash Image GUI.
    I'll 2nd that. If your having problems with terminal emulator flash Image gui works fine

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    I'll 2nd that. If your having problems with terminal emulator flash Image gui works fine

Can someone give me steps on this? What must I download? How do I do this? Is this a stand alone operation or do I need a computer?

ROM
    Changes Daily

You get flash Image gui from the market. It's a stand alone app you will just need a proper recovery img to flash

ROM
    Changes Daily

This recovery will work with old or new screened optimus v

Thanks going to give it a try

I have an optimus v. bought it black Friday at target. I used the root thread at the top of the forum.

I rooted my phone using gingerbreak.
    used root checker: Rooted

I installed the recovery img from link above.

super user, busybox are installed.

I heard that Flash image gui is a good tool for completing this part of rooting. However I have no credit card. is their a free app that does the same as flash image gui.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Not one I know of... There are however prepaid visa cards you can get. We have them at the speedway gas stations here.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, but the Flash image gui app is free, just go into the "simplified root + recovery" sticky the links on page 1 in the. Install recovery step
    Quote Originally Posted by jabak3 View Post
    I have an optimus v. bought it black Friday at target. I used the root thread at the top of the forum.

I rooted my phone using gingerbreak.
    used root checker: Rooted

I installed the recovery img from link above.

super user, busybox are installed.

I heard that Flash image gui is a good tool for completing this part of rooting. However I have no credit card. is their a free app that does the same as flash image gui.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by RG570 View Post
    Unless I am misunderstanding you, but the Flash image gui app is free, just go into the "simplified root + recovery" sticky the links on page 1 in the. Install recovery step
    Awww lol I paid .99$ for it on the market. Oh well... It was well worth it. The dev deserves it :-)

Yeah atm fyi flash gui app is 99¢ But it should be free gingerbreak should be the 99¢ one am I correct lol.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jabak3; 12-29-2011 at 03:48 AM.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by jabak3 View Post
    Yeah atm fyi flash gui app is 99¢ But it should be free gingerbreak should be the 99¢ one am I correct lol.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Like rg570 said its free in the sticky above.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Here ya go

xyp

Wow, okay, so I'm wiping this post cuz I'm an *****.

The phone isn't the OV... it's the Optimus Slider. DDDDEEEEEEERRRP.

Sorry everyone.

-x-
    Last edited by xyp; 02-04-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Idiocy

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by xyp View Post
    Here's my complete adventure- any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

The phone: LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile running Android 2.3.4 OTA update (fairly recent, as far as I know...)

None of the existing root methods were working (Gingerbreak, SuperOneClick, etc.) after trying them multiple times. I was successful in gaining root by using a one click script written for the LG Esteem.

I have now tried to flash multiple recoveries multiple different ways, including:
    - The "Flash Recovery" script written by GNM
    - Manually thru adb shell
    - From terminal emulator in the phone

Everything works fine with all of the above methods as far as I can tell (with pushing things where they are supposed to go, etc.), but then the phone bootloops at the LG screen when trying to boot into recovery. The phone will boot into android just fine, and I've updated the superuser and busybox apps... it just won't boot into recovery at all.

I've searched all over the web at this point and I can't find anyone having this problem. I suspect that all my issues have to do with changes to the system configuration after the 2.3.4 update. Sooo... has anyone been successful in rooting and installing a recovery after the 2.3.4 update?

I'm familiar with adb and rooting many other devices, and it's pretty frustrating to be getting stumped by this device.

Any help, anyone? Thanks.
    -
    Er, there is no such thing as a 2.3.4 OTA Update. Virgin doesnt push updates OTA, they don't push updates at all. Did you buy the phone used? Ate you sure it isn't an older version of CM7? What does it say in the about phone settings menu?

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V