EVO 3D vs NEXUS S 4G POLL

EVO 3D vs NEXUS S 4G

• Total voters

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
All i need for my son is the phone with better internet, social media, texting, battery life and apps. He wants to start making apps for the android market. Which would be better for that? Please dont favor htc because were on the evo 3d forums :)

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Well since the Nexus is a developer phone it would be good to make apps, but everything else you noted would probably be better on the evo 3d because of the dual core processor(battery life, speed, apps,internet) and htc sense(social media, texting) and the Evo 3d can be used to develop just as good as the Nexus but it has better specs, so it would be more useful in the long-run.

Be warned though since it is just releasing it may have a few bugs, but htc is very fast with sending out updates. And once future versions of android are released that support dual core, he will be able to make dual core optimized apps if he chooses.

Also the Evo 3d will come locked, but the engineer bootloader was leaked so it may have root at launch...if not it may take another week or two. So until then the device won't be open. Also Htc is opening up for developers( htcdev.com ) by releasing the htc sense sdk which will allow people to make apps optimized for htc sense, so in my opinion it's just as good as the nexus.

There may be some people to come in and say something about getting the latest android version first with the nexus which is good, but with outdated hardware it may not be as useful depending on what types of apps he makes and Htc upgrades their phones to the latest version of android asap. Htc will support the evo 3d for 1.5 years after it releases, so by that time he will be almost eligible for a new upgrade.

So I would choose the Evo 3d and if he really wants the Nexus you can return it within the 30 day return period.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDawg07

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
All i need for my son is the phone with better internet, social media, texting, battery life and apps. He wants to start making apps for the android market. Which would be better for that? Please dont favor htc because were on the evo 3d forums :)

I say get the Evo 3D for the developing and just have people with the nexus and other phones to be beta users to test it out ... Again you are one step ahead to be able to develop exclusively for sense if you have an HTC device.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I currently have the nexus, and have been playing with the 3d for a while now. The processor practically makes no difference.. The nexus launched applications just as good, and sometimes faster than the 3d did.. So as far as every day use is concerned, I wouldnt worry about having dual core... As far as battery life is concerned, the nexus has better battery life, sorry to say it... The 3d is a pretty nice phone, but maybe Im a bit critical of a phone, being a tech...

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I currently have the nexus, and have been playing with the 3d for a while now. The processor practically makes no difference.. The nexus launched applications just as good, and sometimes faster than the 3d did.. So as far as every day use is concerned, I wouldnt worry about having dual core... As far as battery life is concerned, the nexus has better battery life, sorry to say it... The 3d is a pretty nice phone, but maybe Im a bit critical of a phone, being a tech...
It will make a difference once the next version of android comes out, which is actually optimized for dual core. The phones now really can't go much faster than they are now, once the new version comes out the dual/quad cores will be murdering everything in sight

you said he's a develper, so i say get him the nexus.

For every other reason, I would have recommended the evo3d.
http://htcdev.com

Last edited:

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It will make a difference once the next version of android comes out, which is actually optimized for dual core. The phones now really can't go much faster than they are now, once the new version comes out the dual/quad cores will be murdering everything in sight

HTCdev

Well c.. Im still not convinced its going to make a huge difference.. The nexus already opens up applications quickly. Not to mention the nexus will get the operating system long before the evo does. Dual core is not that much of any faster, atleast on the evo its not... Im starting to see a trend in the evo getting a slower processor than the competition. Maybe when it comes to video recording, and the occasional heavy websites will the evo shine.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Well c.. Im still not convinced its going to make a huge difference.. The nexus already opens up applications quickly. Not to mention the nexus will get the operating system long before the evo does. Dual core is not that much of any faster, atleast on the evo its not... Im starting to see a trend in the evo getting a slower processor than the competition. Maybe when it comes to video recording, and the occasional heavy websites will the evo shine.

Lol because Ice Cream sandwich hasn't released yet, dual cores can't really be used now...it might as well be single core if it is using gingerbread, that's why you see no difference. There will definitely be a speed boost once multiple cores are actually used. Would you rather have a single core 1ghz computer or a 1.2 ghz dual core? Also any phone can get the latest version via rooting.

What trend are you talking about exactly? The evo 3d has one of Qualcomm's newest processors in it. Even Qualcomm's 2nd gen single core processor in the thunderbolt out performs the dual core tegra 2. Also the Evo 3d's processor is under clocked to 1.2ghz...it was originally 1.5ghz. I must admit Samsung does make great hardware, but in no way is the Evo 3d's processor slow. It definitely beats the one in the Nexus S.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
It will make a difference once the next version of android comes out, which is actually optimized for dual core. The phones now really can't go much faster than they are now, once the new version comes out the dual/quad cores will be murdering everything in sight]

Nexus is a GOOGLE phone. Do you really think Google would come out with an OS that their own phone couldnt run right? LOL. The Nexus One is nearly 2 years old and still runs GB flawlessly while newer phones like the Evo 4G are plagued with problems and already need maintenance fixes for it a week after they got it....Not to mention the Nexus S will have ICS many months before the 3D even sniffs it. Took Sprint 6 months to update from Froyo to GB and its not even the most current version, what a joke. A shiny new dual core phone isnt going to be that great sitting on an old version of Android while the Nexus S will be running ICS from day 1.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site

Anyone who says a dual core processor is the same as a single is not a techie! Dual core will definitely be faster when used to it's fullest potential. Especially when developers start harnessing the extra power, which they are not doing just yet. Now the the Nexus is a great phone considering it has 16 gb of internal memory which is nice for developing. But dual core and quad core is definitely where you want to go ( quad isn't available yet)be it the 3d or any other dual core.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Nexus is a GOOGLE phone. Do you really think Google would come out with an OS that their own phone couldnt run right.

no one said it couldn't run. just that it may likely run better when it's on the evo 3d. If the specs of the next nexus phone are true, then ICS seems like it'll be on its way to take advantage of the hardware.

to the OP: get the nexus s hands down if your son wants to develop.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Lol because Ice Cream sandwich hasn't released yet, dual cores can't really be used now...it might as well be single core if it is using gingerbread, that's why you see no difference. There will definitely be a speed boost once multiple cores are actually used. Would you rather have a single core 1ghz computer or a 1.2 ghz dual core? Also any phone can get the latest version via rooting.

What trend are you talking about exactly? The evo 3d has one of Qualcomm's newest processors in it. Even Qualcomm's 2nd gen single core processor in the thunderbolt out performs the dual core tegra 2. Also the Evo 3d's processor is under clocked to 1.2ghz...it was originally 1.5ghz. I must admit Samsung does make great hardware, but in no way is the Evo 3d's processor slow. It definitely beats the one in the Nexus S.

Have you even used the 3d? I doubt it, if so post up pictures.. Secondly qualcomms chip is the slowest of the dual cores. The tegra is faster, and so is samsungs chip. Just like last year, the humming bird was way quicker. Nothing is different about this year.. Clock speed means nothing, so you might aswell quit throwing out clock speeds to me, its pointless. I never said the evo 3ds processor wasnt superior, im just saying, its not all its cracked up to be. Ive been using it for a while now, and im not impressed.. Does this mean I dont like htc? No, I have a hero, a evo... Im just not impressed by the offering this time around. I have actual real world usage on the 3d, do you? If not, the conversation ends here.. This is not a bash htc argument, its just an im not that impressed discussion. Take it for what its worth...

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Nexus is a GOOGLE phone. Do you really think Google would come out with an OS that their own phone couldnt run right? LOL. The Nexus One is nearly 2 years old and still runs GB flawlessly while newer phones like the Evo 4G are plagued with problems and already need maintenance fixes for it a week after they got it....Not to mention the Nexus S will have ICS many months before the 3D even sniffs it. Took Sprint 6 months to update from Froyo to GB and its not even the most current version, what a joke. A shiny new dual core phone isnt going to be that great sitting on an old version of Android while the Nexus S will be running ICS from day 1.

What are you talking about??? Of course the nexus will run ICS, I never said it wouldn't. Once ICS is out though the phones with multiple cores will blow away the Nexus's puny 1ghz processor. Also you don't know how long it will take for Htc to bring ICS. You're shooting facts from your butt once again. The phone will get ICS via root anyway lol and you know that. What happened to your happiness of rooting that you were blabbering on about earlier? Something about not needing official updates since you can root and add the latest version....guess what. Every android phone has a dev community. Clearly the Htc phones have better participation out of devs than other phones though. Do you really think a DUAL CORE phone won't blow a single core phone out of the water once multiple cores are optimized to be used via ICS?(see what i did there):)

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
@mycrownvic2 Why don't you at least give developers a chance to use the extra power, I mean unless you've had the phone for months and tried developing for it. If not, then you having the phone for a day or two doesn't make you an expert either so calm down....

Reactions: Djblue

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
@mycrownvic2 Why don't you at least give developers a chance to use the extra power, I mean unless you've had the phone for months and tried developing for it. If not, then you having the phone for a day or two doesn't make you an expert either so calm down....

Hey im not bashing the device, or trying to start an argument, just all in good fun.. I have no doubt we can get more out of this device, just as it stands now is all im commenting on... Its a decent device, and is a little better than the nexus in some aspects. Im just being critical, as ive always been.. If I do however end up using it as my daily driver, I will be rooting it, and getting rid of sense.. Until then launcher pro is always a good start..

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Have you even used the 3d? I doubt it, if so post up pictures.. Secondly qualcomms chip is the slowest of the dual cores. The tegra is faster, and so is samsungs chip. Just like last year, the humming bird was way quicker. Nothing is different about this year.. Clock speed means nothing, so you might aswell quit throwing out clock speeds to me, its pointless. I never said the evo 3ds processor wasnt superior, im just saying, its not all its cracked up to be. Ive been using it for a while now, and im not impressed.. Does this mean I dont like htc? No, I have a hero, a evo... Im just not impressed by the offering this time around. I have actual real world usage on the 3d, do you? If not, the conversation ends here.. This is not a bash htc argument, its just an im not that impressed discussion. Take it for what its worth...

What ever dude(Sorry if you felt I was attacking you or that I was trying to start an argument, just a little worked up and ready to get the phone:D)...i'm not trying to bash anyone or any phone phone either and I don't need to use the Evo 3D to know it will be faster with ICS. I mean google even said it would be optimized for dual cores so of course performance will be better later on. I don't care what your impression is really, since I don't really care about anyone's other than my own...I'm just saying there is no point of commenting about dual cores until ICS is out or at least let the devs do some things imo since that is when there will be a change in performance.

Last edited:

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about??? Of course the nexus will run ICS, I never said it wouldn't. Once ICS is out though the phones with multiple cores will blow away the Nexus's puny 1ghz processor. Also you don't know how long it will take for Htc to bring ICS. You're shooting facts from your butt once again. The phone will get ICS via root anyway lol and you know that. What happened to your happiness of rooting that you were blabbering on about earlier? Something about not needing official updates since you can root and add the latest version....guess what. Every android phone has a dev community. Clearly the Htc phones have better participation out of devs than other phones though. Do you really think a DUAL CORE phone won't blow a single core phone out of the water once multiple cores are optimized to be used via ICS?(see what i did there):)

Which Sprint phone have you seen get a quick update? Hell, Sprint has skipped updates in the past. Since we are talking Sprint and the Evo here, can you name me one GB ROM that worked 100% with no flaws? Head over to XDA and there is a thread with hundreds of pages about the CM ROM and most are people complaining of things not working, who wants to deal with flashing an unstable ROM. The difference with rooting the S2 and flashing a CM ROM is that Samsung gave CM a phone to work on and will be providing them with support, probably driver help. Meanwhile, HTC was just trying to lock AND encrypt their bootloaders to prevent rooting. See the HUGE difference between the two?

Back on topic. The only time a dual core PHONE running a mobile OS would be noticeably faster is something graphics heavy like gaming, thats about it. Dont think too many people are about to start trying to load Photoshop and Final Cut on their phones to edit photos and render HD videos LOL

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Which Sprint phone have you seen get a quick update? Hell, Sprint has skipped updates in the past. Since we are talking Sprint and the Evo here, can you name me one GB ROM that worked 100% with no flaws? Head over to XDA and there is a thread with hundreds of pages about the CM ROM and most are people complaining of things not working, who wants to deal with flashing an unstable ROM. The difference with rooting the S2 and flashing a CM ROM is that Samsung gave CM a phone to work on and will be providing them with support, probably driver help. Meanwhile, HTC was just trying to lock AND encrypt their bootloaders to prevent rooting. See the HUGE difference between the two?

Back on topic. The only time a dual core PHONE running a mobile OS would be noticeably faster is something graphics heavy like gaming, thats about it. Dont think too many people are about to start trying to load Photoshop and Final Cut on their phones to edit photos and render HD videos LOL

OK you got me with the updates:). Did Samsung say they would give drivers and offer support? Htc obviously does care about the dev community, they gave out not 1, but thousands of of evo's at the Google i/o last year and htc even admitted to using fixes found on xda in their ota updates. The bootloader locking subject is over with...they already agreed to unlock phones, including the Evo 3d so no point bringing that up. Even though the custom roms aren't complete why do some many people continue to use them? There are so many who flash the roms, complete or not, and many times things that don't work aren't that important unless the rom is in its early stages and based off an android version not yet made for said phone. I would guess that more dual core friendly apps would be out on the way when ICS is released.