1st 48 Hours with my 128GB 4XL

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You're in the minority. Again just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

I carry a drivers license
With a LTC permit.
2 credit cards.
Fishing license

All in a small pack.

I've had my identity stolen 3 times.

My credit is locked up.

Nobody I know used pay from their phone.
One of my neighbors is a auditor.

He don't even use it.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok...5 days now.. Things that stands out. I come from a note10+

Have gotten used to the pixel gestures and now move around quite nicely

Ambient lighting is something I still struggle with. I prefer a slightly brighter display, do in the evenings I still have to set the display brightness up.

Face unlock with motion sense is amazingly fast, even in pitch dark.

Performance is right where I expect it, this device is no slouch.

Google integration.. You know, search, photos, lens, is fast and convienent

Weight and feel in the hand. Weight is good. Feel.. Is different. Because of the curved sanding screens on the Galaxy and note, cases for different. My hand notices that difference. Pixel cases feel more bulky

Battery life.. This is where arguments come...I have 1 guideline. I want my phone's to last all day. My definition of all day is.. When I take it off the charger in the morning, until I put it back on the charger when going to bed. Whatever I do during the day, didn't matter. In 5 days so far, the lowest the battery has dropped is 69%. So it passes my battery test. Others may ask about on screen time etc. I don't count it that way. The P3xl, always showed significant loss here and, as such, did not meet my personal requirement.

Pics... Are what I expect. Samsung pics are good, but always enhanced.. Like a color blast. When I take a pic with my P4xl, and compare the colors to what I see with my eye, the colors more closely match. I work with several Indian fellows. Done are darker skinned. The note10+ makes them very dark. The Pixel shows them as they are

So, 5 days in, I'm happy. FPS be damned. 90m screen refresh be damned..I put the note10+ into the drawer.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Do they all live in caves too?

View attachment 312288

Yeah...I live in Seattle. I use it all the time, and it's a novelty here.. Usually draws a crowd when I tap the phone. My wife and kids refuse to use it. Won't put their cards on a phone. I do the explanation... But still. My wife had an I phone x... Even refused face unlock until about a month ago. Of course she also got mad at her phone this morning..hey Alexa didn't work. But that's a different story

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've used Google's phones as my go to since the Nexus 5. I've dabbled a bit with other OEMs, but each and every one caused more headaches than smiles. Knock on wood, I have yet to encounter anything approaching a major issue with a phone that has a big ol G in it. I know what I'm getting, first and foremost.

Staying current is another key... Security, yes, features, yes. Every non-Google phone I've had ultimately rotted on the vine after a few updates after the OEM stopped caring. I know that I'll get 3 years of monthly updates... If there's a problem, in an likelihood it'll be fixed and fixed fairly soon.

I had to use a LG G6 for a bit after my wife got fed up with the sledgehammer photo processing and an update damn near crippled it.... They porked something in the kernel that left only about 256mb of memory available for apps. That lasted for 5 months. I contacted LG support, which was equally difficult and fruitless.. LG never fixed it (it wasn't just my unit either, it happens to every G6 I loaded that update on).

The S7 would randomly save a chewed up, nearly black picture... Another one confirmed on several units. Contacted Samsung, who showed me the field upon which it grew it's you know what's. It never got fixed and I have some reports it got carried to future models.

I've had the occasion to contact Google with 3 legit defects I found. Each time, I was contacted by an engineering support team within a week or so to investigate. And each time, the problem was resolved within a couple of weeks. Neither LG nor Samsung even bothered a follow up email.

Post-sale support doesn't get the press it deserves... But it is extremely important to show your customers that you are there. Most Android OEMs blow you off once they get your money... Google doesn't.

And then there is the camera. From the 6P on, these phones are unparalleled in their ability to give me a consistent, great shot... One that likes REAL and not a heavily processed digital representation of one. And each generation has stepped up their game. I haven't had enough time with the 4xl to say, but initial returns tell me I won't be disappointed.

Yes, Pixels are often utilitarian, function over form phones, but I hardly see that as a negative. Like my favorite football team, they do their job.. And they do it well.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've used Google's phones as my go to since the Nexus 5. I've dabbled a bit with other OEMs, but each and every one caused more headaches than smiles. Knock on wood, I have yet to encounter anything approaching a major issue with a phone that has a big ol G in it. I know what I'm getting, first and foremost.

Staying current is another key... Security, yes, features, yes. Every non-Google phone I've had ultimately rotted on the vine after a few updates after the OEM stopped caring. I know that I'll get 3 years of monthly updates... If there's a problem, in an likelihood it'll be fixed and fixed fairly soon.

I had to use a LG G6 for a bit after my wife got fed up with the sledgehammer photo processing and an update damn near crippled it.... They porked something in the kernel that left only about 256mb of memory available for apps. That lasted for 5 months. I contacted LG support, which was equally difficult and fruitless.. LG never fixed it (it wasn't just my unit either, it happens to every G6 I loaded that update on).

The S7 would randomly save a chewed up, nearly black picture... Another one confirmed on several units. Contacted Samsung, who showed me the field upon which it grew it's you know what's. It never got fixed and I have some reports it got carried to future models.

I've had the occasion to contact Google with 3 legit defects I found. Each time, I was contacted by an engineering support team within a week or so to investigate. And each time, the problem was resolved within a couple of weeks. Neither LG nor Samsung even bothered a follow up email.

Post-sale support doesn't get the press it deserves... But it is extremely important to show your customers that you are there. Most Android OEMs blow you off once they get your money... Google doesn't.

And then there is the camera. From the 6P on, these phones are unparalleled in their ability to give me a consistent, great shot... One that likes REAL and not a heavily processed digital representation of one. And each generation has stepped up their game. I haven't had enough time with the 4xl to say, but initial returns tell me I won't be disappointed.

Yes, Pixels are often utilitarian, function over form phones, but I hardly see that as a negative. Like my favorite football team, they do their job.. And they do it well.

I agree 100%! Your post reminded me of Simms22 over at XDA. He took fabulous pics with the Nexus 6, which everybody said was garbage. I think talent plays a major role in photography. Here's one he took with the Nexus 6.

seagull.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 6's camera was underrated...I took many incredible pictures with that thing. Oh, the hardware was nothing to speak of, it was all HDR+'s doing. If the conditions were right for it to do it's thing properly, no other phone came anywhere near it. This shot here was impossible on anything else available.
1111f73f9ed93e8abd0920be896548f1.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Then Google realized what they had and started putting better camera hardware... Snagging a large sensor used in video cameras for the 6P...(yes, a bit of a theme here)
e01e9c2e6cda230736c1dcadb9bb4160.jpg

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I found the initial revue in this discussion to be exactly the way I use my phone. No social media ( with the exception of an occasional Insta post) I came from many of the Motorola Droid and Z#. I currently have the 3XL with the 4XL on order. If i have any complaint it is the amount of time it takes Google to send out the phone. I ordered through the Google store on Oct 15 and was given a ship date of 7-11. I ordered thru Fi and got a Nov 1 ship date and cancelled my original order. I came to Android when Blackberry crashed and burned and have owned 1 sammy the 7 Edge. I lasted only 7 weeks with that phone and went back to the Moto. What I find amazing is the way people try to force you into using and or liking a certain phone. You say Tomato I say Tamato. If you read the different reviews of a phone you get different opinions. Even on this site. I prefer the lack of crap on the phone I chose to buy. I am looking forward to getting the Pixel 4 XL. Next year i will get the Pixel5 because that is what I like. Just me not you.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I'm now at 7 days with the Pixel 4xl. I took some time away from the Note 10+ because, well, I'm a dork. The Note 10+ is a great phone.

I've read a lot of posts here and other places. I've read reviews from a lot of people...here and other places. And there are a few things I've gleamed from those reviews.

-Spec happy people will never be happy with a Pixel
-Many people rely on what others think too much
-Too many people insist that specs are the way to go
-Like religion, many people try and impose their likes/dislikes on others. Examples are Screen on time, FPS
-There needs to be a category called Functional

The pixel is a phone that focuses on functional, specs be dam. I'm pretty sure I am not qualified to determine if improved spec would increase functionality at this particular moment in time. I can only say, does this phone, as is, meet my expectations.

I have the Note 10+, a Spec seekers dream device. Am I happy with it. Yes. Everyday I discover something new or different. Photos are color blasted...but nice. Colors explode out of the screen in pics. My grass has never been greener. My roses never redder, my chickens never browner or blacker. My friend Rajesh, never darker. There are things on the Note 10+ I may never discover. The big thing, I traded a different phone in with the Note 10+ and got it for $499, plus samsung buds and a case. Otherwise the Note 10+, for me, would be a reach purchase in that the phone is too much for me. Consider, that Samsung again this year is in the red. Its subsidy of new phone launches are good for us users...but ..not good for the company. Who knows...maybe google will buy them.

The pixel on the other hand is very functional. Pics, easy to do, share easy to do, message, game, social , easy to do.

So the choices I had to make in this last week....A phone that was too much or a phone that was functional.

I retire in 63 days. I think I'm leaning to the functional.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
<snip>>...

-Spec happy people will never be happy with a Pixel
-Many people rely on what others think too much
-Too many people insist that specs are the way to go
-Like religion, many people try and impose their likes/dislikes on others. Examples are Screen on time, FPS
-There needs to be a category called Functional

The pixel is a phone that focuses on functional, specs be dam. <snip>

^^^THIS EXACTLY^^^

Spec-chasing is a thing I try to avoid.

What I want in a phone is one that is a big enough improvement over what I currently have to warrant spending money for it. My other requirement is lack of carrier/OEM tinkering (a.k.a. "bloatware") and an iPhone-like software standardization/regular, direct from the OEM, updates. This is the ONE thing I like about Apple products: Apple controls both the hardware AND the software and does not allow the carriers to tinker with the product, which is how it should be.

I remember when I had a succession of Samsung phones and waiting a YEAR to get the latest version of Android. Gods I hated that!

I hate Apple/iOS therefore Google's Pixels are my only other choice and, fortunately, Google is doing a great job of making a product that is highly functional. Spec-envy is, thankfully, something I so not suffer from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali