1st 48 Hours with my 128GB 4XL

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am not a GAMER, I am not on Facebook, nor am I a big social media user, thus I do not have the power draw and ram usage of the continual notifications and updating social media enacts on a phone.

I use my phone for SMS texting, GPS location, Whatsapp chats, Gmail work and personal email, web browsing, and once in awhile actual phone calls.

I have owned every generation of XL pixel, so 1 through 4.
I owned a Note 4 prior to that and Iphones prior to that.

Coming from the 3XL, what have I noticed:
- little bit snappier - this phone is very quick moving around between apps, opening up emails, etc
- The phone takes about 9 seconds to power from being off, on which is fast
- call quality and cell reception seems to be better, my 3XL had some issues after the Android 10 update with poor reception in areas it didnt have prior to the install, those are gone on the 4XL
- FACE UNLOCK works (even in pitch black darkness) and I actually prefer it to the fingerprint scanner. Here's why, when im outside or at the gym and my hands are dirty or sweaty, fingerprint doesnt work. Also, if I am cooking and have messy hands, fingerprint is not an option. Which leads me to Motion Sense
- Motion Sense works pretty good for what it is. Again, mainly to SHHH alarm clock or wave a call off that I cannot receive, it actually works 100% of the time. Again, in certain instances as noted above, this is a nice touch. I played around skipping songs on SPotify yesterday and at first I sucked at it. I took of my screen protector and put on a new one with careful attention to where the Soli chip is to be sure that I did not "block" it. Now I can swipe spotify pretty regularly but its more of a "look at how cool my phone is" feature vs. practical real world usage.
- Speaker sound quality hasnt been noticeably worse, i would rate it as good or better than the 3XL
- Have not used Recorder or Live Captioning
- Camera is great, i have not been able to discern any huge improvement over the 3XL except I would say the night sight is better and the Zoom is notcieably better. the 3XL had a great camera also
- 90hz screen - I noticed it was super quick scrolling through Instagram but I do not need it and turned it off to help preserve battery. Again, I am not a gamer.
- Battery - well my 3xl was about a year old and batteries wear down. Thus it is better than the 3XL in its current state for sure. I dont have a new 3XL to compare it to. I also have location turned on so that draws power. I easily went throug hthe entire day and into the night yesterday without charging it in the car like i normally would. Could it be better, yes, but I would say that about any phone.... Can't have too much battery life, but this has been more than fine for what I need a phone to do.
-aesthetics - who cares it goes in a case
- I don't take selfies, no comment there
- Display - I feel like this panel is better than the 3XL screen but is not as bright as it could be for bright outside viewing, it is fine anywhere else.

I feel the phone is an incremental upgrade over its predecessor, though an upgrade nonetheless. So much of why someone likes a phone is subjective. For me, I wanted Face Unlock because I use my phone alot during the day.

What the 5XL needs:

- 5G
- 4k60fps come on Google
- compromise a thin phone, make it .5mm-1mm thicker and load a 4500 size battery in there. Make battery life a selling point for the XL size, if someone wants a thin phone, they can get a smaller battery on the regular phone
- Brightness rating of 600 or higher like the Note 10 and Iphone 11, why not?
-

My wife has Pro Max, the areas where I feel it outranks the 4XL are video recording, display brightness, battery life (not because I have needed it but because it has it and the pixel should also)

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I am not a "SPEC hunter", I use a pixel for the Pure, stock Android experience. I doubt Pixels will ever spec out with RAM and storage like the Samsungs and OnePlus phones...
I doubt I would ever own another Android based phone, monthly updates and new OS releases are main reasons, along with lack of bloatware and a smoother overall experience.

I have been asked to switch to iphone by the rest of my family, only thing I would like is iMessage for all the iphone people I text and live with.
What I never have to worry about is looking for an iphone charger though and they are always fighting over the chargers and where they are AHHAHAHAHAH

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
What the 5XL needs:

- 5G
- 4k60fps come on Google
- compromise a thin phone, make it .5mm-1mm thicker and load a 4500 size battery in there. Make battery life a selling point for the XL size, if someone wants a thin phone, they can get a smaller battery on the regular phone
-

Thanks for your review. I've been concerned with the battery life and screen brightness(similar to the Pixel 3 XL).

I would add one more thing to your Pixel 5XL needs:
- Larger storage options (128GB/256GB) to store all of that lovely 4K60 video! :)

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am not a GAMER, I am not on Facebook, nor am I a big social media user, thus I do not have the power draw and ram usage of the continual notifications and updating social media enacts on a phone.

I use my phone for SMS texting, GPS location, Whatsapp chats, Gmail work and personal email, web browsing, and once in awhile actual phone calls.

I have owned every generation of XL pixel, so 1 through 4.
I owned a Note 4 prior to that and Iphones prior to that.

Coming from the 3XL, what have I noticed:
- little bit snappier - this phone is very quick moving around between apps, opening up emails, etc
- The phone takes about 9 seconds to power from being off, on which is fast
- call quality and cell reception seems to be better, my 3XL had some issues after the Android 10 update with poor reception in areas it didnt have prior to the install, those are gone on the 4XL
- FACE UNLOCK works (even in pitch black darkness) and I actually prefer it to the fingerprint scanner. Here's why, when im outside or at the gym and my hands are dirty or sweaty, fingerprint doesnt work. Also, if I am cooking and have messy hands, fingerprint is not an option. Which leads me to Motion Sense
- Motion Sense works pretty good for what it is. Again, mainly to SHHH alarm clock or wave a call off that I cannot receive, it actually works 100% of the time. Again, in certain instances as noted above, this is a nice touch. I played around skipping songs on SPotify yesterday and at first I sucked at it. I took of my screen protector and put on a new one with careful attention to where the Soli chip is to be sure that I did not "block" it. Now I can swipe spotify pretty regularly but its more of a "look at how cool my phone is" feature vs. practical real world usage.
- Speaker sound quality hasnt been noticeably worse, i would rate it as good or better than the 3XL
- Have not used Recorder or Live Captioning
- Camera is great, i have not been able to discern any huge improvement over the 3XL except I would say the night sight is better and the Zoom is notcieably better. the 3XL had a great camera also
- 90hz screen - I noticed it was super quick scrolling through Instagram but I do not need it and turned it off to help preserve battery. Again, I am not a gamer.
- Battery - well my 3xl was about a year old and batteries wear down. Thus it is better than the 3XL in its current state for sure. I dont have a new 3XL to compare it to. I also have location turned on so that draws power. I easily went throug hthe entire day and into the night yesterday without charging it in the car like i normally would. Could it be better, yes, but I would say that about any phone.... Can't have too much battery life, but this has been more than fine for what I need a phone to do.
-aesthetics - who cares it goes in a case
- I don't take selfies, no comment there
- Display - I feel like this panel is better than the 3XL screen but is not as bright as it could be for bright outside viewing, it is fine anywhere else.

I feel the phone is an incremental upgrade over its predecessor, though an upgrade nonetheless. So much of why someone likes a phone is subjective. For me, I wanted Face Unlock because I use my phone alot during the day.

What the 5XL needs:

- 5G
- 4k60fps come on Google
-

My wife has Pro Max, the areas where I feel it outranks the 4XL are video recording, display brightness, battery life (not because I have needed it but because it has it and the pixel should also)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like the battery life is not that bad.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Good review, I too have no issue with the battery life. My old Pixel 2 XL started out by getting 2 full days out of it. Before I upgraded to the 4XL I was getting about 1 1/2 days. I use a battery app called accu battery. I charged it up fully last night, when it was fully charged it said design capacity was 3700mAh and estimated full charge capacity is 3860mAh. I'll have to watch this to see if it continues.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Motion sense is horrible for me with respects to skipping tracks. I would find this feature really useful to skip a song when my pixel 4 is in my car mount but it rarely works so I gave up on it. I'm sure it'll improve over time but right now it's pretty useless.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Motion sense is horrible for me with respects to skipping tracks. I would find this feature really useful to skip a song when my pixel 4 is in my car mount but it rarely works so I gave up on it. I'm sure it'll improve over time but right now it's pretty useless.
I had to practice with it, I found it likes a faster swipe then I was doing

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I’m on my 2nd day as well. Here are my thoughts. I have been using a Note 10 for the last 2 months coming from 3 pixels and Nexus 6p before those. After 2 months of using the Note 10, I still found myself very frustrated with the Samsung experience. The hardware seemed good, but One UI is just too cumbersome. Other than having to relearn the button placement on the Pixel 4XL, the transition to this phone has been seamless. I know where everything is, and I can use it confidently and rapidly in stressful situations (could never say that about the Samsung). Camera reminds me of my old Pixel 3XL, that’s a good thing. The Face Unlock works great, even in the dark. It sucks that hardly any apps will use it to authenticate, however. I too turned off 90mhz refresh. I played with it a bit in the dev options to force it on and didn’t see enough to convince me that it is worth the battery drain. It’s too early to judge battery life, but it isn’t horrible but also not great. Motion Sense is great for quieting the alarm and snoozing it however, I found one real annoyance with it. My truck (2016 Ram 2500) has a handy place that holds your phone in the console upright and in view, while playing my daughters music play list while taking her to school, every time I reached for my coffee, it would sense the motion and restart the songs. What the chance that Google would have settings that allow you to turn it off when connected to a particular Bluetooth device? :(

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I had the pixel 3 XL.

Got the note 10+.
Don't see where there is a problem I cant live without with the note 10+.
It is smooth and fast.

There is not all the apps like samsung used to have.
They put things in folders, to better organize it.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
What the 5XL needs:

- 5G
- 4k60fps come on Google
-

Thanks for your review. I've been concerned with the battery life and screen brightness(similar to the Pixel 3 XL).

I would add one more thing to your Pixel 5XL needs:
- Larger storage options (128GB/256GB) to store all of that lovely 4K60 video! :)

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
I had the pixel 3 XL.

Got the note 10+.
It is smooth and fast.

There are still duplicate apps which you can't remove. I've also been told that there are apps like Facebook baked into the OS that you can't remove. For most people that's not a problem we use Facebook. But for those that don't it's impossible to remove without rooting and ADB and supposedly the app is still sending data to Facebook. That's what annoys me about Samsung. Fine put the crap on there. Make your 5 cents a phone or whatever it is but for the love of God just let us easily remove it.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
There are still duplicate apps which you can't remove. I've also been told that there are apps like Facebook baked into the OS that you can't remove. For most people that's not a problem we use Facebook. But for those that don't it's impossible to remove without rooting and ADB and supposedly the app is still sending data to Facebook. That's what annoys me about Samsung. Fine put the crap on there. Make your 5 cents a phone or whatever it is but for the love of God just let us easily remove it.

If you use the samsung gear VR.
Without Facebook.
They will not work.

I dont use Facebook for media like that.

It's just a app.
Put it in a folder.it goes away.
You can disable it.
I have never got a notification or anything from it.

I have 256K of internal storage.
And a 32 gb ad card.
12 gb memory.
Do you think the app Facebook might slow down my phone.

Do you think somebody makes a perfect phone.

Pixel sure don't.
And they want top prices for what should of been out 2 yrs ago.

The note 9 last yr.
Is a better phone than this yrs pixel.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the pixel 3 XL.

Got the note 10+.
It is smooth and fast.

I might be too much a creature of habit. The hardware is good, the camera was good, the battery kind of sucked (I have a Note 10, not 10+). It just took an extra step to get things done it seems on easy things like making a phone call. I also didn’t like Samsung trying to push you into their environment. Other than the software, the fingerprint scanner is joke, and the face recognition is significantly slower than the Pixel and it doesn't work when it's dark. The hardware looks good, but the rounded screen makes the phone awkward to hold and use and there is a bit of distortion. The three things I miss about the Note 10, it is smaller, the ability to lock the home screen layout (although it doesn't work on the edge drawer) and the wide angle lens. I know there are millions of people that love Samsung phones, I’m just one of them (love my Galaxy watch though) I still have my Note 10, I'm going to keep it until the right after the return policy expires on the Pixel. If I keep the Pixel (probably will), then I will sell it. The only other phone that intrigues me right now is OnePlus, but I'm waiting until they get wireless charging. It's my understanding that OnePlus has done a good job with Oxygen OS keeping it close to stock Android.

Last edited:

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
If you use the samsung gear VR.
Without Facebook.
They will not work.

I dont use Facebook for media like that.

It's just a app.
Put it in a folder.it goes away.
You can disable it.
I have never got a notification or anything from it.

I have 256K of internal storage.
And a 32 gb ad card.
12 gb memory.
Do you think the app Facebook might slow down my phone.

Do you think somebody makes a perfect phone.

Pixel sure don't.
And they want top prices for what should of been out 2 yrs ago.

The note 9 last yr.
Is a better phone than this yrs pixel.

Did I say anything about it showing down your phone? No. I said they ram apps that some people want and some people don't down your throat. The fact that gear VR needs Facebook is retarded. Guaranteed Facebook pays them to make it that way.

Again it's not that they include the apps it's that you can't remove them if you don't want them. I know multiple people that wouldn't buy the phone if they couldn't remove Facebook totally from the phone and there's no way these people would know how to use ADB to remove it. My definition of bloatware is anything I don't want and can't easily remove (not freeze but completely remove). It's my phone I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to remove things I don't want.

Last edited: