Can't take screenshot on Pixel C

A

AC Question

Just got a new Pixel C tablet. It's great. Very responsive and functional. However, screenshot does not work. Instructions say hold volume and power buttons. And that worked once, but I could not repeat it. Whatever I do it either pops up the power menu or changes the volume. I think I managed to get two screenshots out of 100 tries.

Did I forget to say "expecto patronum" or something? What's the trick? Sure do wish they would just make it work by holding down the switch apps button like previous things. That always worked on my previous tablet.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Just got a new Pixel C tablet. It's great. Very responsive and functional. However, screenshot does not work. Instructions say hold volume and power buttons. And that worked once, but I could not repeat it. Whatever I do it either pops up the power menu or changes the volume. I think I managed to get two screenshots out of 100 tries.

Did I forget to say "expecto patronum" or something? What's the trick? Sure do wish they would just make it work by holding down the switch apps button like previous things. That always worked on my previous tablet.

You have to press and hold the power and vol down at the same time. If there is a delay on either button it won't work.

windyplayer

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Well good for you. YES I FRFEAKING KNOW - HOLD

So it works for some of you. Great. Let's hear from the others of us for whom this does not work. Surely I'm not alone. Hardware problem? Software problem. After over 100 times trying to learn to use those two buttons to do it. And no point in HOLDING once the volume bar or the power off confirm has appeared. And that's what happens every time.

BTW. Is there a problem that you can't take them too quickly? I need to take screenshots a second or two apart. If there's a 30 second delay since the last time I tried it that would cause what I'm seeing. It works, then never works again as I try it.

HAND - have a nice day

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I know it doesn't help the issue with the buttons but if you hold the home O button then you can share a screenshot with the Screen Search (formerly Now on Tap) menu that pops up. Just share it to Photos. A work around for now until you get sorted.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Well good for you. YES I FRFEAKING KNOW - HOLD

So it works for some of you. Great. Let's hear from the others of us for whom this does not work. Surely I'm not alone. Hardware problem? Software problem. After over 100 times trying to learn to use those two buttons to do it. And no point in HOLDING once the volume bar or the power off confirm has appeared. And that's what happens every time.

BTW. Is there a problem that you can't take them too quickly? I need to take screenshots a second or two apart. If there's a 30 second delay since the last time I tried it that would cause what I'm seeing. It works, then never works again as I try it.

HAND - have a nice day

Here is a hint. Don't shout at those who are trying to help.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The OP might be holding the tablet upside down... If I recall correctly, the screen orientation flips but it doesn't reorient volume up/down.

oddstray

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Here's a thing. The power button is an on/off button. But the volume bar is an up/down button. It has at least two positions - "volume up" and "volume down". It may have a third position which is "press in the exact center".

I had a play with grabbing a screenshot. My first attempt worked. Subsequent attempts failed, and I realized I was pressing on one end of the volume bar. So I moved my finger closer to the center of the volume bar and the next attempt worked. I haven't done enough experimenting, but it may be that you need to press on the "volume up" end of the volume bar, or possible directly in the middle of it, for the screenshot to work.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Here's a thing. The power button is an on/off button. But the volume bar is an up/down button. It has at least two positions - "volume up" and "volume down". It may have a third position which is "press in the exact center".

I had a play with grabbing a screenshot. My first attempt worked. Subsequent attempts failed, and I realized I was pressing on one end of the volume bar. So I moved my finger closer to the center of the volume bar and the next attempt worked. I haven't done enough experimenting, but it may be that you need to press on the "volume up" end of the volume bar, or possible directly in the middle of it, for the screenshot to work.

Works when pressed vol down position.