iPhone 4s or Galaxy Nexus?

Captcha Your Soul

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I wish Google would have made this an easy decision, but once again we must accept that Apple's phone is a pretty strong competitor against the GNexus.

It has a better camera (I know megapixels don't matter), and a processor/GPU combo that apparently wipes the floor with what's inside the GNex.

On the other hand, I do love me some Android and the Gnex is new and exciting while the iPhone design is from last year.

Can anyone provide compelling arguments to buy one phone over the other?

-Note: I don't care about little nonsense things that most people seem to latch so tightly to.

nyyankees8175

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far to say the Ip4s is better then the Nexus. Two totally different ball games. 4g vs 3g 4.65in screen vs 3.5 other then the camera really I wouldnt say its better there are pros and cons for both

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
First you need to figure out if you want Android or IOS and also if you want a small or huge phone.
Figure those two things out and you'll then know which phone to buy.

Both the I4S and GN are going to be great phones otherwise.

digitalfan

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
As a general tech fan, there are many reason to get each device. It totally depends on what you want.

The iPhone 4S is possibly more powerful -- truthfully I don't think we can say this until we see it in use. The GN has more RAM, which Android loves it's RAM, and iOS 5.0 is a resource lover and doesn't have 1GB of RAM.

The biggest reasons to get the Galaxy Nexus is really the same reasons the tech industry was disappointed with the iPhone 4S. Galaxy Nexus is 4G LTE, it has 720P resolution screen with Super AMOLED Plus technology. Which saves on energy consumption. Ice Cream Sandwich I actually believe is better then iOS 5. I mean, Face Unlock is pretty rad, and the new interface is very WebOS-isq. Which clearly is the best mobile OS in terms of UI, and I am glad it lives on in Android. True multitasking is better then the fast app switching iOS uses, and I believe the new way of handling applications is more human like and easier to use then iOS.

Plus the Galaxy Nexus can be rooted and changed however you'd like. The iPhone 4S, although probably will be "jailbroken", is still limited in what you can do with customization.

Reactions: ruger141

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
As a general tech fan, there are many reason to get each device. It totally depends on what you want.

The iPhone 4S is possibly more powerful -- truthfully I don't think we can say this until we see it in use. The GN has more RAM, which Android loves it's RAM, and iOS 5.0 is a resource lover and doesn't have 1GB of RAM.

The biggest reasons to get the Galaxy Nexus is really the same reasons the tech industry was disappointed with the iPhone 4S. Galaxy Nexus is 4G LTE, it has 720P resolution screen with Super AMOLED Plus technology. Which saves on energy consumption. Ice Cream Sandwich I actually believe is better then iOS 5. I mean, Face Unlock is pretty rad, and the new interface is very WebOS-isq. Which clearly is the best mobile OS in terms of UI, and I am glad it lives on in Android. True multitasking is better then the fast app switching iOS uses, and I believe the new way of handling applications is more human like and easier to use then iOS.

Plus the Galaxy Nexus can be rooted and changed however you'd like. The iPhone 4S, although probably will be "jailbroken", is still limited in what you can do with customization.

Uhh. I am so lost. Can you explain too easy? Please? I am not trying to make myself look stupid.

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what you prefer. Apple has a more straightforward form factor throughout all of their devices. A solid piece of hhardware, but very redundant. A very easy to understand interface. To me personally, a solid device.

On the other hand here is Android. Android has hundreds of customizations and configurations. The Os is designed more for people who like to tinker and personalize their own device. With all the extra features with Android, also requires alot of research. It's really up to the individual.

If you enjoy checking forums and blogs daily for the latest & greatest apps, themes, and ROM's, take a look at Android. If you want a solid device right out of the box, go with Apple. You can still pick either one, but that's my suggestion if you want to maximize your experience.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I prefer android for a few reasons:

Form factor...you can go with a number of different devices, as well as skins to the os.
Micro USB port
Removal Battery
External memory

Device is seen as an external drive and doesn't have to go through Itunes.

It is annoying with my ipad to connect it to the computer and if you don't hit erase all images on import you have to reimport them to get to that option.

I know the Nexus won't have an external memory slot, but what's great for me is just the opposite for my wife.

Brother went from DINC to and Iphone because it kept breaking on him.
Screen is gorgeous, but I am not a one button type of guy.
I also don't like the weight of the device.

Again, both do great things, just in different ways.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a 4s. Haven't rebooted since day one. Yes, it is a reliable beast. The Gnex has a lot to live up to, to compete. Can't wait. Am I the only one that loves BOTH iOS and android? Feels that way.....

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a 4s. Haven't rebooted since day one. Yes, it is a reliable beast. The Gnex has a lot to live up to, to compete. Can't wait. Am I the only one that loves BOTH iOS and android? Feels that way.....

I LOVE my IPAD, but for a phone love android more.

Can't explain it, just do.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE my IPAD, but for a phone love android more.

Can't explain it, just do.

Thought I did too. If you know me, I get every latest android phone. I got tired of unreliable OS. Don't have to explain it. Turns out android has message issues. I hope the platform gets better, but right now, Apple nails every single message and never needs witchery to work. Funny thing is I would buy a android tab over apple every day of the year.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thought I did too. If you know me, I get every latest android phone. I got tired of unreliable OS. Don't have to explain it. Turns out android has message issues. I hope the platform gets better, but right now, Apple nails every single message and never needs witchery to work. Funny thing is I would buy a android tab over apple every day of the year.

I won my ipad2 so wife wouldn't let me sell it.

I think os5 is great on her iphone4 on big red and wouldn't mind SOME features brought over.

There are way too many people hung up on being "fanboys"
I say use what's good for you and be happy.

I don't like that Apple went against 4g with the 4s because of design issues, but I am not one NEEDING 4g in a device.
Love my wife's screen res.

Bottom line is that the top two (and even windows phone) are pushing each other to keep going and not sit back which is good for us.

LisaD0115

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted the 4s and waited for it's release, then decided I was a little disappointed in it. Seemed like it was all hype. Hubby is an avid Android supporter so he convinced me to wait for the Nexus to be announced and I may change my mind - so I watched the announcement and fell in love. But there was so much left unsaid about the phone after the roll out that I was like WTF? So I've been watching the boards and stuff lurking for the info to come out. I've pretty much decided that I'm done with the tease of information! If there is no date set for a U.S. release on this thing by Nov. 1 then I'm bagging it and getting my 4s and screw Google and Samsung - get your crap together next time.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted the 4s and waited for it's release, then decided I was a little disappointed in it. Seemed like it was all hype. Hubby is an avid Android supporter so he convinced me to wait for the Nexus to be announced and I may change my mind - so I watched the announcement and fell in love. But there was so much left unsaid about the phone after the roll out that I was like WTF? So I've been watching the boards and stuff lurking for the info to come out. I've pretty much decided that I'm done with the tease of information! If there is no date set for a U.S. release on this thing by Nov. 1 then I'm bagging it and getting my 4s and screw Google and Samsung - get your crap together next time.

LOL. I guess you consider taking 15 months to add 3 "copied" features to a phone, while disabling the most useful of those features across all previous phones in an attempt to force people to buy your "new" model that's exactly the same as the old one (from 15 months ago), "Having it together".

The lack of logic in some people's minds never ceases to amaze me. :D

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
LOL. I guess you consider taking 15 months to add 3 "copied" features to a phone, while disabling the most useful of those features across all previous phones in an attempt to force people to buy your "new" model that's exactly the same as the old one (from 15 months ago), "Having it together".

The lack of logic in some people's minds never ceases to amaze me. :D

Perhaps if you did some more research instead of just blindly quoting from the android fanboy handbook you wouldn't be spreading FUD.

More then 3 is all I am saying. That and do you really think google didn't copy anything?

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps if you did some more research instead of just blindly quoting from the android fanboy handbook you wouldn't be spreading FUD.

More then 3 is all I am saying. That and do you really think google didn't copy anything?

So, an iOS user is unhappy cause I didn't mention other features that apple copied? No research necessary here bud. The fact still remains that Apple took 15 months to release "several" new features that other phones have already had for years. The question is still the same: What were they doing the whole 15 months? It's not "fanboys" asking the question either, its Apple users. Maybe you missed all those disappointed people who were expecting some real innovation this time around.

I'll be first in line to buy an iPhone when Apple releases a phone that is technically up-to-date and superior to other offerings. I don't see platforms as religions, fact is they have yet to do so.

Also, nobody thinks that Google didn't copy anything. In fact, I don't think there's any major corporation that doesn't get some of its cues from competitors, and the ones that do ignore the competition don't last long. I'm sorry that you find any view that conflicts with your own to be "from the fanboy handbook". All I can say to that is "opinions are like ...."

Captcha Your Soul

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Chill out, this is supposed to be a discussion, not a fight.

If you suggest that either phone is "complete crap" then I won't take you seriously. Everyone knows that the iPhone in general is iconic, and even though it wasn't the epic revamp that everyone hoped for, it is still a very competitive phone in the marketplace based on its features. I mean seriously, have you seen the pictures that thing takes? They are stunning. Also no one can deny how smooth the iOS is compared to its resource-hungry Android brethren. Look, I'm a CompSci major, so I know how the internals of the OSes work. Also, the quality of apps on the iPhone is far superior to those on Android, and this is also a well known fact, remember sometimes it's not all about the hardware. The CPU and GPU on the iPhone also blows away anything else released in recent times (including GSII).

AT THE SAME TIME

Android is awesome too! I love the big screens and LTE, which Apple doesn't offer, and in this age of high data use, LTE is definitely important. ICS looks like an awesome update that finally presents Android in a cohesive package with many optimizations that it was missing before (hardware acceleration, camera fixes, etc). The tweakability of the OS is awesome and there is always a huge dev community supporting phones like the Nexus. I love how you can just do things like plug the phone into a computer and use it as a flash drive, or the awesome Google Nav features! Android has its fair share of cool things too!

If you keep saying this phone copied from that phone, and try to troll by using that tactic, that's just as dumb. I've seen all these platforms grow from their very inception, and it's awesome seeing how they have influenced each other's evolution. WHO CARES if a phone copied another? I mean really, don't you think like that happens in other industries? Also its a very mutual thing. iOS does it and Android does it as well, theres not really a single offender. In the end how does it translate into a bad experience for you? It doesn't, so stop brining that up, that point is so pointless....

AND SO

Please just make this a discussion rather than a fight to see which is best. I mean does it really matter what is best? Get the phone you like, and in discussions like these, you can be constructive by telling us your reasoning behind it, instead of trolling.