iPhone 4S/Galaxy Nexus challenge

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus phone,Jellybean or not, has never been as smooth and responsive as the iPhone/iPad I own. I believe android is a good product, just not at the level of the apple products hence the need to only make one iPhone/iPad vs blasting customers with a multitude of android choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Are you running jb on your gnex? And multiple devices being "blasted" out by mfgs has nothing to do with the quality of the jb version of the Android OS. Two different animals.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus phone,Jellybean or not, has never been as smooth and responsive as the iPhone/iPad I own. I believe android is a good product, just not at the level of the apple products hence the need to only make one iPhone/iPad vs blasting customers with a multitude of android choices.

Well, I have both devices in my hand and I can say that they seem to be about he same in regards to smoothness in performance. And maybe giving a slight nod to he Nexus for being able to open apps faster. But my intention of the thread wasn't to make a case for one phone or platform to be ultimately better. As you can see from previous posts, here were things I liked and disliked about both. In hopes that anyone who didn't have the luxury to have both phones at the same time could learn from my experiences and make a better choice for themselves.

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Using the word comparison vs challenge may have been a better fit. I would surely hope that an individual would get their hands on both devices in addition to marinating on the opinions of other smartphone users.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
impatiently waiting for the next nexus phone to go with my n7. Couldn't agree more with what you've said. 4s does everything you ask it to do very well, but android is just more enjoyable.

I don't have a smartphone but will get one when my current contract is up. My daughter has an iPhone and loves it (and my grandchildren love FaceTime).

I recently bought a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Because of this, will there be any advantages getting the Google Phone over an iPhone? I'd love to be able to FaceTime with my grandchldren but I'm not sure if that is enough reason to base my decision on which phone to buy. Thank you.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a smartphone but will get one when my current contract is up. My daughter has an iPhone and loves it (and my grandchildren love FaceTime).

I recently bought a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Because of this, will there be any advantages getting the Google Phone over an iPhone? I'd love to be able to FaceTime with my grandchldren but I'm not sure if that is enough reason to base my decision on which phone to buy. Thank you.

If you like the Nexus 7 then getting a Nexus should be more of the same. There are other alternatives to FaceTime on Android.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I played with an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S3 today. I can definitively say I extremely dislike the S3 screen. It's dim and very blue. I really hope the AMOLED they put in the Maxx HD is better.

I was very impressed with the quality of the display on the iPhone 5, I also really liked the full screen browser mode, but I'm sure Android will get that function.

I also noticed the iPhone 'loaded' the Web pages quicker, but the spinning thing was still in the system bar. So it's was even to me. But the scrolling and such was way smoother. I know the S3 was on ICS, so I think I'm waiting for the Maxx HD or a Nexus announcement.

I also don't like the black and white look of the iPhone music player. The blue looked better.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I played with an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S3 today. I can definitively say I extremely dislike the S3 screen. It's dim and very blue. I really hope the AMOLED they put in the Maxx HD is better.

I was very impressed with the quality of the display on the iPhone 5, I also really liked the full screen browser mode, but I'm sure Android will get that function.

I also noticed the iPhone 'loaded' the Web pages quicker, but the spinning thing was still in the system bar. So it's was even to me. But the scrolling and such was way smoother. I know the S3 was on ICS, so I think I'm waiting for the Maxx HD or a Nexus announcement.

I also don't like the black and white look of the iPhone music player. The blue looked better.

Go get an iPhone 5.

sent from my DInc4g using AC forums

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

I was under the impression that Android already had the full screen browser mode. As for the iPhone 5 being faster than the S3, I would expect that. The iPhone 5 looks like a great phone. I have never had any issues with any of the iPhones I have ever owned. You definitely wouldn't be sorry getting one.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I also noticed the iPhone 'loaded' the Web pages quicker, but the spinning thing was still in the system bar. So it's was even to me. But the scrolling and such was way smoother. I know the S3 was on ICS...

There are alternative browsers and settings that speed up the browsing on Android phones. JellyBean helps as well. So does rooting and running a custom ROM, if one is so inclined. And I'm pretty sure Android already has full screen browsing, unless I'm missing something. Just saying...;)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
And I'm pretty sure Android already has full screen browsing, unless I'm missing something. Just saying...;)
On the iPhone, even the system bar disappears. I pulled up a website on both devices and I could see more content on the iPhone 5.
Go get an iPhone 5.
:eek:

I am honestly having a hard time making up my mind. I really hope the MAXX HD's screen is improved over the S3 and I hope they announce the next Nexus in November. I'll decide then.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
On the iPhone, even the system bar disappears. I pulled up a website on both devices and I could see more content on the iPhone 5.

Yes you can do the same thing in stock browser it will even get rid of the status bar.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't verify any of these, I don't use any apps like these, but...

Google Talk
QIK
Tango

I use Skype regularly but don't think it's that easy for little kids to "dial." And, like email, sometimes you don't want others to read your IMs. I've looked at Tango but haven't tried it yet. It it easier (than Skype) for youngsters to use?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Besides Skype? What are they?
I use Google Talk. Anyone with an email (even non-Gmail) can use it, and it has more features than FaceTime. You can use text chat, and talk with more than one other person. And it's compatible with Android phones, iPhones, iPads, Macs, PCs, you name it.

Yes, you can have all your Nexus 7 apps on your phone, you have the better experience of Android, etc.

Supposed to read the double down on JB being as smooth as iOS. I've always felt my friends ipad was much smoother than the Nexus 7, which is why I sent it back...

I did end up getting one if those $230 Verizon Xoom deals, because $700 for a Verizon ipad seems a little insane.

Hopefully I'm just going through a 'grass is greener' phase.
Odd. My Nexus 7 is much faster than my dad's iPad. It's even faster than the iPads at the Apple Store!

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok... you got me here. How does one use this when one doesn't have a Google account?

What I mean is, you need a Google account but not a Gmail account. Meaning you can use your existing email (Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, etc.) to make a Google account and use Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I just realized that my GNex has not crashed in the two weeks that I have had it. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I'm not used to that with Android. It us refreshing to see what strides have been made with this platform.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I still don't know why people believe that people are sheep for liking Apple products. I have enjoyed every Apple product that I have owned. The quality of the products is superior to most. My only issue with Apple products is the cost. They are extremely expensive for what you get. But I would definitely not call someone a sheep because they like Apple. If it weren't for the sweetness of my Galaxy Nexus I would still be enjoying my 4S right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards